Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2024, 04:00 PM

1,140 posts, read 617,266 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
It's fully electric and very cheap to run. Keep in mind though that I got 13,000 dollars in rebates on it (5000 from the feds and 8000 from Quebec) which brought the price down to 50,000 from 63,000.

I probably would not have bought it at full price, but as it stands it was just a bit more expensive than the gas SUV I would have purchased instead of it.

My previous gas SUV used about 10 L per 100 km.

So just to give you an example, going to Montreal and back is about 400 km round trip. In a regular SUV that's about 75 dollars with today's gas prices.

The Mustang Mach-E costs under 10 dollars for the round trip. Between 6 and 8 dollars.

I went to the Maritimes last year for a road trip. It cost less than 100 dollars to get there and back. Maybe 75-80 dollars.

Charging at public charging stations which you need to when you're out of town is of course more expensive than charging at home. But still way less expensive than gas.

Driving around my city and immediate area is almost free as I have a home charging station so it just takes power from the house. The home charging charging station costs about 1500 dollars. Quebec gave me 600 dollars back on that.

It costs about a dollar to charge it up completely at home, and that gives me just above or just under 400 km of range. Electricity in Quebec is cheap - about 6.7 cents per kwh.
Whoa ... the is simply impressive.

A buck to fill er up.

Yeah your Quebec rate is super low... ours at peak is triple yours... but still, that's just $3.

I'm sold on it then.

The rebates do help with the capital cost.

Thanks for the enlightenment
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2024, 05:27 PM

26,883 posts, read 38,047,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suesbal View Post
Have you gone to the track to put it through its paces?
No.but if you floor the gas... er... accelerator it will push you into the back of your seat like a plane taking off.

Old 04-18-2024, 06:33 PM

705 posts, read 506,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
I'm in rural Manitoba and we don't lock our doors ever and in fact, we don't either have door keys! They got lost at some point in time and it didn't matter because we didn't use them.

I think we are probably the exception not the rule.

But I have German shepherds - if I didn't, then I am sure I would lock the doors at night.
I’m just across the border from you. I never think about locking my doors, but I have an electronic lock that is always locked when the door is shut. But I routinely leave the keys in my vehicles, even in my small rural town. But so does everyone else. Now if I was in Winnipeg, I’d definitely lock my doors. I was sitting in my car waiting for someone and saw a dude walking down the sidewalk checking every single unoccupied car if it was unlocked. In broad daylight, he didn’t care if anyone saw him. Winnipeg needs more police. Especially on the Northend of downtown. Dangerous and out of control crime.

Old 04-18-2024, 06:51 PM

1,225 posts, read 498,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011KTM530 View Post
I’m just across the border from you. I never think about locking my doors, but I have an electronic lock that is always locked when the door is shut. But I routinely leave the keys in my vehicles, even in my small rural town. But so does everyone else. Now if I was in Winnipeg, I’d definitely lock my doors. I was sitting in my car waiting for someone and saw a dude walking down the sidewalk checking every single unoccupied car if it was unlocked. In broad daylight, he didn’t care if anyone saw him. Winnipeg needs more police. Especially on the Northend of downtown. Dangerous and out of control crime.
Sadly this is a problem here in Winnipeg, way more than other cities in the country. The criminals in Winnipeg are the most brain dead. I also have seen a lot of BS behaviour during the day. Bigger cities like Vancouver have a much bigger drug addict population than Winnipeg , yet vancouver doesn't see the same amount of violence and craziness that you see on the Winnipeg streets. Not even close. Vancouver despite it's massive drug and homeless problem is stil a very safe city. The same cannot be said about Winnipeg.

Old 04-19-2024, 12:16 AM

7,309 posts, read 9,330,165 times
@Acajack I think electric power costs are lower in Quebec and Manitoba and quite high in Ontario and Alberta so that would also affect the cost?

Old 04-19-2024, 02:44 AM

3,625 posts, read 3,413,979 times
Lock my doors? Yes, of course.

I grew up in downtown Toronto. If you didn't lock your doors, you'd come home to find something missing, any day of the week. Heck, though I no longer live in Toronto, I still lock my doors, even if I'm just walking three blocks to the corner store. My car is always locked. My garage is always locked.

In spite of that, I've been a victim of crime a number of times: my apartment in Toronto was broken into and items were stolen, my car was broken into twice (broken windows only to find nothing worth stealing), my garage was broken into and my bicycle was stolen.

Insurance made good on the loss in each case, but here's the thing: if you don't lock your doors, don't expect insurance to make good on any loss. "You took no steps to protect your property as you promised to per your policy [i.e. locking doors]; therefore, you are liable for your loss."

Canadians not locking doors? Damn straight we do!

Old 04-22-2024, 01:59 PM

33,548 posts, read 37,151,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
How does your Tesla work in the winter? My stepson has one but he's in BC.
My son lives in Duncan BC. has a Tesla 3 and it works just fine.

Old 04-23-2024, 09:26 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,047,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
My son lives in Duncan BC. has a Tesla 3 and it works just fine.
Duncan BC is not really a cold climate. At least not by Canadian standards!

Old Yesterday, 09:53 PM

4 posts
Grew up in a detached house in suburban Toronto where my parents "usually" locked the doors during the day and always at night. Parents became more consistent with it after an attempted break-in.

I've lived in small towns, suburbs and big cities and always lock my door at night and almost always during the day unless I occasionally forget or am going in and out (like bringing in groceries) or waiting for the dog to come in. And he's an intimidating looking and sounding German Shepherd. I always check doors and windows at night before going to bed.

I also watch a lot of true crime shows, seen enough of them to know that it's probably just a matter of time before someone checks my house door to see if it's locked, so I always lock it. Same for my car. Why make it easy for them?

Crime is getting worse these days, especially post-Covid. Used to be that crime was a thing of big cities. People in small towns were (and still are) complacent. But, in the last 10 years, the trend seems to be for rural areas to have higher crime rates than suburbs and big cities, mostly in western Canada (BC, Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba and maybe even western Ontario).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada