Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which Canadian province is overall better?
Ontario 34 60.71%
Québec 22 39.29%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2011, 12:11 PM

136 posts, read 581,394 times

Advertisements

Short facts:

Ontario

* Official language: English (de facto)
* Population: 13.2 million (#1 in Canada)
* Size: Second largest province
* Major cities: Toronto, Ottawa

Québec

* Official language: French
* Population: 8 million (#2 in Canada)
* Size: Largest province
* Major cities: Montréal, Québec City

Copy & Paste the fallowing below:

Quality of life:
Schools/Universities:
Language:
History/Culture:
Climate:
Enterteiment/Nightlife:
Shopping:
Architecture/Scenary diversity:
Economy/Government:
Friendliness/People:
Unique/Interesting:
Province Flag:

> Where would you rather live?
> Where would you rather visit?

Last edited by Libnani; 10-28-2011 at 12:38 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2011, 01:58 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,280,097 times
And what would be the point of spending the next few hours trying to answer all your questions?

If you are planning on moving here i'd suggest Ontario would give you more job opportunities, if you are planning just a visit then include Montreal and Toronto in your itinerary.

Old 10-28-2011, 03:48 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,409,040 times
Vive le Québec.

Old 10-30-2011, 03:41 PM

I was expecting this topic to be busy Common people!

Old 10-30-2011, 06:49 PM

311 posts, read 1,138,242 times
Cost of living: Quebec
Quality of life: Quebec
Schools/Universities: Ontario
Language: Ontario
History/Culture: Quebec
Climate: Ontario
Enterteiment/Nightlife: Tied
Shopping: Tied
Architecture/Scenary diversity: Quebec
Economy/Government: Ontario
Friendliness/People: Ontario
Unique/Interesting: Quebec
Province Flag: Quebec

Where would you rather live? Ontario
Where would you rather visit? Quebec

Really both are amazing provinces and my two favorite in Canada.

Old 10-30-2011, 07:00 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,409,040 times
Cost of living: Depends where in the province . . . Thunder Bay is cheaper than Montreal, but Toronto is more expensive than both.
Quality of life: Quebec
Schools/Universities: Ontario, because of U of T, York, Rynearson, and Western, but it's close. Quebec has some great institutions like the U of M, McGill, Laval University, and Bishop's College. If you're Francophone, Quebec is definitely better for universities.
Language: Quebec. I love Canadian French.
History/Culture: Quebec. The French / English interaction in the province is fascinating.
Climate: A wash. Both provinces have more or less the same climate. Southern Ontario has mild winters, like Michigan.
Enterteiment/Nightlife: Quebec, but Ontario has a strong case because of Toronto.
Shopping: Quebec
Economy/Government: Quebec
Friendliness/People: Ontario
Province Flag: Quebec!

Where would you rather live? Quebec
Where would you rather visit? Quebec

Old 10-30-2011, 08:13 PM

5 posts, read 34,337 times
I'll give it a shot. Note I am fully billigual, live in Ontario but French is my first language. This would be different if I didn't speak French.

Quality of life: Tie
Schools/Universities: Ontario
Language: Quebec
Enterteiment/Nightlife: Quebec
Shopping: Quebec
Economy/Government: Ontario
Friendliness/People: Quebec (Ontario if you don't speak French)
Province Flag: Quebec

Where would you rather live? Quebec, I live in Ontario because my family is here for now. Would like to move to Quebec soon though. Not a diss towards Ontario but rather because the culture in Quebec is more to my liking.

Where would you rather visit? Tie - depends what you look for in a vacation/trip

Old 10-30-2011, 09:08 PM

9,524 posts, read 16,505,688 times
Well Ontario spoke to me in English and was friendly to me. Quebec was rather rude to me at times, and obviously irritated by my lack of understanding French a few times. I'm sorry Quebec. I simply did not fully understand what Je Me Souviens meant on your license plate. That and I'm really sorry I could not pronouce the bottled water Avion without a US accent.

So I could say I like Ontario better than Quebec but I like both provinces. I'd rather live in either vs the USA on many days but since that can't happen. My vote goes to both Provinces as great places to live.

Old 10-31-2011, 08:12 AM

Location: Quebec (would have been considered northeastern U.S. vs. Ontario for the midwest)
Quality of life: Tied (Quebec have more labour benefits)
Schools/Universities: Tied
Language: Quebec (French is beautiful)
Enterteiment/Nightlife: Quebec
Shopping: Tied
Economy/Government: Tied
Friendliness/People: Quebec
Unique/Interesting: Quebec (Ontario is like any other North American province/state)
Province Flag: Quebec by a mile

> Where would you rather live? Quebec
> Where would you rather visit? Quebec

Ontario is you don't speak French, but Quebec if you speak French or are willing to learn. There's no state/province like Quebec in North America!

Old 11-04-2011, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
Well Ontario spoke to me in English and was friendly to me. Quebec was rather rude to me at times, and obviously irritated by my lack of understanding French a few times. I'm sorry Quebec. I simply did not fully understand what Je Me Souviens meant on your license plate. That and I'm really sorry I could not pronouce the bottled water Avion without a US accent.

So I could say I like Ontario better than Quebec but I like both provinces. I'd rather live in either vs the USA on many days but since that can't happen. My vote goes to both Provinces as great places to live.
Sorry Québec is French-speaking, whereas Ontario is English-speaking. It's same as visiting France from the U.S. or UK. We do not expect any visitors to speak or understand French, however it is nice if visitors could master few simple words, or at least ask us if we speak English or not.

Je me Souviens means "I do remember" or "I remember". If you asked any local we would have been happily to translate
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada