Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2013, 05:04 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,365,152 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
...I knew that would be the next response. 90% of mainstream media reporters are leftist Democrats...but anyone who points this out is written off as a right wing nut job.
I'm not calling you a RWNJ i'm just pointing out that IMO FOX is more an entertainment channel that caters mostly to what the rightwing wants to hear, i find it to be an unreliable source of information as they have a propensity to lie,embellish and fabricate information to the point where their news has to be accompanied by the quantifier "we report,You decide"

Old 08-17-2013, 05:11 AM

7 posts, read 7,958 times
Quote:
Zoisite, have you ever gone clothes shopping in the U.S.? The selection is far better, prices are probably about 30% to 50% lower, and the sales taxes are way lower (or nonexistent in some states). Why is it offensive to you that Canada has inferior retail? As far as I am aware, no country in the world has retail on the same level as the United States. The U.S. is truly the world leader in consumerism and it shows in the size, quality, and number of retail stores available. Even smaller towns in the U.S. have large big box retailers... the same size town in Canada would be lucky to have a smaller Canadian Tire and a Home Hardware. I would imagine the majority of Canadians can afford to go cross border shopping, or did I just imagine the major backups at the Peace Bridge and Rainbow Bridge earlier today? By the way, I just bought a flat panel LED TV for $250 with a 5% sales tax in the U.S., came out to $265... in Canada the same TV was $30 more plus 13% sales tax and a $39.50 "enviro" fee, so it would come out to about $90 more for the same thing... do you think I will ever buy another TV in Canada as long as such fees and taxes are charged?
Yes, America is a consumers paradise. Our entire culture is inundated by Madison Ave. with ads telling us what we need 24/7. Then we have big box stores paying employees poverty wages so we can buy that flat screen, washer/dryer, pair of Nikes etc at rock bottom prices. Now the funny thing is since the middle class has been decimated by the economy (dont get me started) few people can consume like they used to. Probably a good thing in that our society becomes more soul less each day as we move from human centered culture to a thing centered culture. The one thing we Americans do not lack is arrogance USA USA USA USA

Old 08-17-2013, 08:28 AM

1,028 posts, read 1,883,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post
How long were you out of Canada, and how much did you declare at the border coming home?

I think our "out of country" duty-free allowance is abysmally low, but it is what it is. Did you cheat Canada out of its tax entitlement?
Many Europeans who come to the US shop for thousands of dollars without declaring any of it. They cut off price tags and keep the receipt at relatives house or throws it out and tada!

How come when I crossed the border by road they did not ask if I bought something?

Old 08-17-2013, 08:39 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,365,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jews for Jesus View Post
Many Europeans who come to the US shop for thousands of dollars without declaring any of it. They cut off price tags and keep the receipt at relatives house or throws it out and tada!

How come when I crossed the border by road they did not ask if I bought something?
Maybe your particular border guard just forgot to ask or was busy asking other questions.
They usually ask if you have anything to declare,particularly alcohol and Tobacco products,
it usually comes right after "have you ever been arrested?"..Usually its best to declare purchases as they'll just apply a small duty charge , lying to them or deceiving them ups the game to an entirely different level..

Old 08-17-2013, 08:42 AM

1,028 posts, read 1,883,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Maybe your particular border guard just forgot to ask or was busy asking other questions.
They usually ask if you have anything to declare,particularly alcohol and Tobacco products,
it usually comes right after "have you ever been arrested?"..Usually its best to declare purchases as they'll just apply a small duty charge , lying to them or deceiving them ups the game to an entirely different level..
When I came back to America, the officer asked me "How long did you stay", "Why drive all the way here for only 2 days". Well it's a trip, none of your business. So annoying!

Old 08-17-2013, 08:43 AM

340 posts, read 524,476 times
Personally, we know of no Canadians who have moved to the US, but we know many US citizens who have moved here, and those we have talked to say they wish they had made the move sooner, adding that they would never go back.

Old 08-17-2013, 09:04 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,866,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DD78 View Post
Aside from a couple of the obvious reasons (married to an American, change of job, etc.), why move there?

With all the benefits and overall good quality of life Canada has to offer, I'm just curious as to what other reasons people might have for moving to the US. What are some of the downsides to living in Canada?

I've heard that Canada is just like the US, except there's better healthcare, better education and less violence. And of course, there's the weather...
I am not sure any of the things you listed as being better in Canada than the USA is fact except possibly better educational system. The healthcare is cheaper and affordable to all, but this doesn't make it better. It probably isn't as good. At least we have better access to doctors and wait a shorter period of time for needed tests.

The comment about violence: what about the large metro cities in Canada? They too have violence. You can not compare the Canada when you consider the population. Our small towns do not have a lot of violence either, as a rule.

Add up the negative weather and the high taxes and you might have your answer. I am not saying, by any means, America or American are superior to Canada or it is a better place to live, but I have given you some food for thought.

Old 08-17-2013, 09:13 AM

1,726 posts, read 5,865,195 times
Well, those of you who don't cross-border shop, please continue to refrain from doing so, as we don't need any more people clogging up the bridges to the U.S. There's enough of you already filling up the parking lots at the U.S. retailers. Go to the Wal Mart in Niagara Falls, NY on a weekend and count how many cars are from Ontario vs. New York State.

I agree that if you live in Toronto, it doesn't make much sense to drive to the U.S. to save a few bucks. I live much closer to the border. Even if I lived in Toronto, if I knew I would be traveling to the U.S. I would wait until then to make my larger purchases.

Also, to nmnita, Large cities in Canada have very little violence compared to U.S. cities.

Old 08-17-2013, 09:13 AM

9,327 posts, read 16,681,070 times
As an American snowbird, we spend a few winter months in FL where many, many Canadians also spend the winter. There is a large RV park in FL, which is 99% French Canadians. A friend stayed there for a few days last year and said everyone spoke French. A realtor I know told me last year he had an unusual large amount of Canadians buying homes. AFA shopping, Canadians buy a lot of clothing in the US. I was in a children's outlet and there was a woman in line with TWO shopping carts full of various size clothing. As we conversed she said she shops for her grandchildren every year as the savings is tremendous.

A few weeks ago I read an article that due to the ridiculous cost of college in the US, many students are going to Canada and getting a good education for a lot less than in the US and also still getting student loans.

Old 08-17-2013, 10:56 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,866,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post
As an American snowbird, we spend a few winter months in FL where many, many Canadians also spend the winter. There is a large RV park in FL, which is 99% French Canadians. A friend stayed there for a few days last year and said everyone spoke French. A realtor I know told me last year he had an unusual large amount of Canadians buying homes. AFA shopping, Canadians buy a lot of clothing in the US. I was in a children's outlet and there was a woman in line with TWO shopping carts full of various size clothing. As we conversed she said she shops for her grandchildren every year as the savings is tremendous.

A few weeks ago I read an article that due to the ridiculous cost of college in the US, many students are going to Canada and getting a good education for a lot less than in the US and also still getting student loans.
About the education thing, I wonder if that is true? My understanding and I could be completely wrong, you can't just decide to go to Canada for college or to any other country for that matter. We had 2 grandchildren that went to other countries for part of their education: only so many were allowed each year to enter the country for college. The same is true here. Not everyone, who wants to come to America to further their education can do it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada