Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2012, 09:02 AM

1,726 posts, read 5,862,227 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimbo28 View Post
America isn't multi-cultural, it's a melting pot. Immigrants are expected to assimilate.

Canada is multi-cultural and celebrates other cultures maintaining their individual identities after they come to our country. I think Toronto and Vancouver are the best examples of this. Take for instance, the Greater Vancouver area. In Surrey, you'll find bilingual signs in Punjab and English, in Richmond you'll see Mandarin and English, and so on.

Different approaches, and I don't want to start a debate by expressing my opinion on each of them.
And in Philly, NYC, and SF Chinatown you'll find bilingual signs in Mandarin and English, and in Miami you'll find signs in Spanish, and so on.

This whole "melting pot vs. mosaic" argument is complete and utter b.s... the immigrants in Canada are expected to assimilate too. They are not to continue following their own legal systems, their kids get schooled in English or French, and they are not some sort of distinct society within Canadian society. They have pretty much the same exact experience as immigrants in the U.S. with the exception being that Canada has allowed a much larger number of them, per-capita, to come to Canada in the past few decades than the U.S. has. That, however, is ending now with Harper's new rules. In fact, the immigrants in the U.S. probably have an easier time finding work because employers in the U.S. are less likely to discriminate based on a lack of "U.S. experience" - Canadian employers tend to demand "Canadian experience" (as if there's something special about working in a particular field in Canada vs. any other country - a valid point in some industries but they often take it to an extreme).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2012, 09:05 AM

297 posts, read 472,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarp View Post
And in Philly, NYC, and SF Chinatown you'll find bilingual signs in Mandarin and English, and in Miami you'll find signs in Spanish, and so on.

This whole "melting pot vs. mosaic" argument is complete and utter b.s... the immigrants in Canada are expected to assimilate too. They are not to continue following their own legal systems, their kids get schooled in English or French, and they are not some sort of distinct society within Canadian society. They have pretty much the same exact experience as immigrants in the U.S. with the exception being that Canada has allowed a much larger number of them, per-capita, to come to Canada in the past few decades than the U.S. has. That, however, is ending now with Harper's new rules. In fact, the immigrants in the U.S. probably have an easier time finding work because employers in the U.S. are less likely to discriminate based on a lack of "U.S. experience" - Canadian employers tend to demand "Canadian experience" (as if there's something special about working in a particular field in Canada vs. any other country - a valid point in some industries but they often take it to an extreme).
I am from the USA so I know that its more of a melting pot then a mirage. They are forced to eventually assimilate in the USA but in Canada no one cares not even the media.

Old 12-10-2012, 09:23 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,315,210 times
Kinda speaks for Canadas attitude on melting pots..

Old 12-10-2012, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Kinda speaks for Canadas attitude on melting pots...

Thanks man

See I dont think people understand the difference between Indian-American were you slowly assimilate while in Indian-Canadian you show your pride and respect for Canada but yet you don't assimilate.

Example : Surrey BC and Brampton ON .

Old 12-10-2012, 09:51 AM

1,452 posts, read 2,043,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarp View Post

1. Yeah - that's Chinatown. To be expected
2. Spanish is technically the "2nd language" in the states. It's on bottles and stuff in all the states now too.
3. It's not B.S., why don't you look at the wording in the immigration policies. Of course they're not going to follow their own legal systems when they come here, that's ridiculous. It's purely talking about a cultural standpoint where they can choose to continue to use their own language and practice their own religion.
4. Could they not, if they chose, home school their children? That's a right that they have. But besides that, you're wrong anyway, since Vancouver and Toronto (at least) have full K-12 schooling options in Mandarin, and Vancouver offers Punjab schooling options as well. I believe they also have some bilingual programs for Tagalog and Korean. Why might they not be well known? Most immigrants actually do place a high value on learning English and want their kids to be schooled in English/speak the native language at home because they understand that in order to get a job here, they'll have to be fluent in English.

Old 12-10-2012, 09:53 AM

Chinatown's are everywhere. Yeah Spanish is sort of becoming the 2nd language as Kimbo stated especially in the southern parts. As for the native language at home it helps learn about your heritage though English is needed to get a decent if not great job in the country. Though I didn't know about Vancouver's Punjabi program so thanks for teaching me that. Learn something new everyday

Old 12-10-2012, 09:54 AM

1,452 posts, read 2,043,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ishabad View Post
Thanks man

See I dont think people understand the difference between Indian-American were you slowly assimilate while in Indian-Canadian you show your pride and respect for Canada but yet you don't assimilate.

Example : Surrey BC and Brampton ON .
Yeah some people truly don't understand the difference between 'mosaic' and 'melting pot'.

Anyway...

While some parts of Surrey are quite nice, there are a few parts to be wary of (Whalley for example). Just choose carefully if you decide to live there.

Old 12-10-2012, 10:07 AM

yeah I heard that they have crime in some parts but I think i can manage seeing I am from NY but again thanks for the help though.

Old 12-10-2012, 10:31 AM

1,726 posts, read 5,862,227 times
None of the examples are convincing. Indians in Canada will assimilate just as their counterparts in the U.S. will assimilate. Their kids will school in English and within 1 to 2 generations the mother tongue will be lost. I know many Indians on both sides of the border and their experience is the same. The only difference is the smaller ridings in Canada allow for more representation of ethnic groups in provincial and federal government, e.g. Brampton votes in Indians. The congressional districts in the U.S. are so large that they never neatly overlap with a specific ethnic area. Other than that, you'd be hard-pressed to find much difference in the level of assimilation of an Indian person in Edison, NJ vs. Brampton, ON. It's the same ****.

kimbo28, what is "why don't you look at the wording in the immigration policies" supposed to mean? What is an immigration policy? Are you talking about the INA (Immigration & Nationality Act) of the U.S. and the IRPA (Immigration and Refugee Protection Act) of Canada? If so, I can't find anything in either of those laws that specifies that the U.S. is a "melting pot" and Canada is a "mosaic". And I have studied the INA extensively, and have some familiarit with the IRPA. I am an American citizen who immigrated to Canada and my own parents immigrated to America. I speak a foreign language fluently, and I identify to some extent with an immigrant community of my heritage, so I have some knowledge of immigrant communities and how they function. That particular immigrant community functions equally in the U.S. as they do in Canada. Levels of assimilation are the same.

The only difference I can find is that the U.S. has a very vocal minority of bigoted people of low education who are against immigrants and demand that all immigrants assimilate, become christian, speak english, etc. Canada has this same minority, but they are much smaller and far less vocal.

There are places in the U.S. full of hindu temples, mosques, synagogues, etc. as well as secular community organizations for people of different ethnic backgrounds. I'm not sure where anyone got the idea that in the U.S. people are expected to assimilate and give up their culture. This is certainly not the case in the U.S.

Please show some concrete examples instead of parroting this ridiculous concept of "mosaic" vs. "melting pot."

Old 12-10-2012, 10:31 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,040,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimbo28 View Post
But besides that, you're wrong anyway, since Vancouver and Toronto (at least) have full K-12 schooling options in Mandarin, and Vancouver offers Punjab schooling options as well. I believe they also have some bilingual programs for Tagalog and Korean. .
I would like to learn more about this. Is this public school or private? Because if it is private there is no restriction on opening similar types of private schools in the U.S. either...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada