Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2012, 04:43 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,315,210 times

Advertisements

Allow me to troll InvalidUsername and ipod99

Who Owns the World » Largest Landowner
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2012, 07:25 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,043,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Allow me to troll InvalidUsername and ipod99

Who Owns the World » Largest Landowner
Wow!! That just blew my mind!

Old 12-19-2012, 12:10 AM

3,625 posts, read 3,412,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Wow!! That just blew my mind! .
It's kind of interesting, isn't it?

Note that while the Queen technically holds all these lands, she is rarely to never consulted in the lands' daily affairs. If the government of Saskatchewan, for example, decides to sell off a few acres of Crown land, it is allowed to without asking Elizabeth first. Thus, we have lands held "in right of Canada," or "in right of [province name]." Yes, they belong to the Queen, but the decisions regarding them are made by either Canada or a province.

If you really want a shocker, learn about "fee simple ownership" in Canada, and why "tenancy" is referred to on title and deed documents.

Old 01-22-2013, 09:52 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,773,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nzrugby View Post
Sorry dear boy but you are confused, if you wish to become a Canadian citizen you will have to swear allegiance to the crown.
Now a touch of information, Americans cannot join the British military as you are seen as revolting colonials.
I wonder who is really confused... Who has touched incorrectly...
"It is with deep regret that the Ministry of Defence must confirm the death of Ranger Justin James Cupples of 1st Battalion The Royal Irish Regiment (1 R IRISH) on Thursday 4 September 2008 in southern Afghanistan.

Ranger Cupples was born in the United States on 29 July 1979. He served with the US Navy during Operation Iraqi Freedom. His family lived in Miami before moving to County Cavan in the Republic of Ireland, where he met his wife Vilma. He began training in Infantry Training Centre Catterick in February 2007. On completion of his training he joined The 1st Battalion The Royal Irish Regiment and in September 2007 he was posted to 7 Platoon C Company."
REFERENCE: https://www.gov.uk/government/fatali...in-afghanistan

Old 01-23-2013, 07:08 AM

1,790 posts, read 2,052,144 times

Old 01-24-2013, 02:13 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,043,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by nzrugby
Sorry dear boy but you are confused, if you wish to become a Canadian citizen you will have to swear allegiance to the crown.
Now a touch of information, Americans cannot join the British military as you are seen as revolting colonials.
I wonder who is really confused... Who has touched incorrectly...
"It is with deep regret that the Ministry of Defence must confirm the death of Ranger Justin James Cupples of 1st Battalion The Royal Irish Regiment (1 R IRISH) on Thursday 4 September 2008 in southern Afghanistan.

Ranger Cupples was born in the United States on 29 July 1979. He served with the US Navy during Operation Iraqi Freedom. His family lived in Miami before moving to County Cavan in the Republic of Ireland, where he met his wife Vilma. He began training in Infantry Training Centre Catterick in February 2007. On completion of his training he joined The 1st Battalion The Royal Irish Regiment and in September 2007 he was posted to 7 Platoon C Company."
REFERENCE: https://www.gov.uk/government/fatali...in-afghanistan
nzrugby is actually correct. American citizens cannot join the UK or Irish royal military forces. You have to be born a UK or Irish citizen or be a citizen of one of the commonwealth countries or take up permanent residence and become a citizen in the UK or Ireland in order to be in any of the UK/Irish royal military forces.

Ranger Cupples that you mentioned above was apparently born in USA but he may have had dual citizenship if his parents were Irish citizens working and residing in USA at the time of his birth, or he may have given up his American citizenship and become a citizen of Ireland when his family moved to Ireland or after he married his Irish bride.... or ....? Whatever the case (and I'm sure we will never know all the circumstances, nor care), he would have definitely had to have been a citizen of Ireland to join the Royal Irish Regiment.

Last edited by Zoisite; 01-24-2013 at 02:26 AM..

Old 01-27-2013, 05:07 AM

3,187 posts, read 4,589,417 times
Public perceptions in Australia to the monarchy are in a similar position to that in Canada now, it's basically lost its relevance to most people under the age of 60. I think the attachment to Britain lasted a lot longer here; there was a genuinely strong connection to Britain and all things British pre-1960 (for some reason the public broadcaster here persisted with newsreaders who spoke with faux RP English accents up until the mid-1990's :S). The shift away from the concept of being British seemed to coincide with large scale migration from Southern Europe, in 1950 Australia the British/Irish ethnic strength of the population was 90%; it has dropped to about 65% today. I think it would have gone this way regardless of demographic shifts, but non-Anglo migration would presumably have accelerated republican tendencies.

The fact that QEII is still the Queen of Australia is a historical anomaly now, it's not that Australian's for the most part dislike the royal family or Britain, we've just moved on from seeing ourselves as an outpost of Britain. I think most here would nominally support the idea of a republic here, the main issues stifling change are an agreement on a particular republican model (ie. popular vote for president v. Parliament elected), and the uncertainty as to how this may alter the functions of government here. Given we pretty much have a de facto republic now anyway, it's not a pressing issue.

Old 01-27-2013, 05:47 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,040,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sulkiercupid View Post
Public perceptions in Australia to the monarchy are in a similar position to that in Canada now, it's basically lost its relevance to most people under the age of 60. I think the attachment to Britain lasted a lot longer here; there was a genuinely strong connection to Britain and all things British pre-1960 (for some reason the public broadcaster here persisted with newsreaders who spoke with faux RP English accents up until the mid-1990's :S). The shift away from the concept of being British seemed to coincide with large scale migration from Southern Europe, in 1950 Australia the British/Irish ethnic strength of the population was 90%; it has dropped to about 65% today. I think it would have gone this way regardless of demographic shifts, but non-Anglo migration would presumably have accelerated republican tendencies.

The fact that QEII is still the Queen of Australia is a historical anomaly now, it's not that Australian's for the most part dislike the royal family or Britain, we've just moved on from seeing ourselves as an outpost of Britain. I think most here would nominally support the idea of a republic here, the main issues stifling change are an agreement on a particular republican model (ie. popular vote for president v. Parliament elected), and the uncertainty as to how this may alter the functions of government here. Given we pretty much have a de facto republic now anyway, it's not a pressing issue.
Except that in Australia you don't have the strong impulse of using Britishness (albeit largely lapsed) and the monarchy to distinguish oneself identity-wise from the powerful southern neighbour.

Old 01-27-2013, 07:11 AM

3,187 posts, read 4,589,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Except that in Australia you don't have the strong impulse of using Britishness (albeit largely lapsed) and the monarchy to distinguish oneself identity-wise from the powerful southern neighbour.
That's a good point, I wonder to what extent the monarchy differentiates Canada to the USA in the minds of Canadians, and whether this sort of explains a lack of republican urgings? Also do you think there is a greater dislike or indifference to the British monarchy among francophone Canadians?

Old 01-27-2013, 04:08 PM

2,339 posts, read 2,071,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sulkiercupid View Post
That's a good point, I wonder to what extent the monarchy differentiates Canada to the USA in the minds of Canadians, and whether this sort of explains a lack of republican urgings? Also do you think there is a greater dislike or indifference to the British monarchy among francophone Canadians?
Yes to both. And just wait until Charlie gets a crack at it...I'm sure the debate will kick into high gear when he becomes monarch...no more nice old lady for you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada