Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2009, 09:48 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,293,297 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by minnesota rocks over fl View Post
I live in the US and I haven't noticed any racism and I have traveled all over the US, including Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michigan, Iowa, Missouri, Tennessee, Kentucky, Illinois, Indiana, North Carolina and Kansas.
What visible minority are you a member of?

Old 11-19-2009, 10:19 AM

9,616 posts, read 12,919,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by downwithwebster123 View Post
I beg to differ. I'm 13, and have had my fair share of beer tasting (just like any good Canadian ), not that I'm a drunk, but I'e definitely tasted beer.

American beer is s h i t.
Canadian beer is the only way to go
Ahhh yes, a mature connoisseur! I was born and raised in Vancouver, and was one of them socially dreaded UBC redjackets (UBC Engineers)

Your UBC Engineering Undergraduate Society

We pretty much defined beer drinking in Vancouver, down at the hotel pub on South Marine Drive (what was that place, guys? It's been 35 years, and I don't live in Vancouver any more).

Anyhow, now I live in Washington State. You really ought to get out more, webster123: try some Rock Bottom Breweries ales, some of their winter beers, etc. Seattle, Chicago, Portland, Long Beach. Or just try some Sam Adams, or or or... Black Butte Porter, from S. Oregon!

There's literally thousands of great Yankee beers now. Of course, yep, you can always go for Labatt's or good old Labatt's Extra Old Style (High-Test, we used to call it, because it was what again? 7% or so? That's easily duplicated now in the US). If all you want to do is get swacked, then by all means. go visit the hotel pub in Merritt, B.C. and buy the local drunken natives a round. They'll be your friend forever! Hardly "quality" though.

Well, stop by some time and I"ll show you how it's done. BTW, that post about Portland, OR? You'd be hard-pressed to do better than that for boutique brews. Wonderful stuff!

See, we have the market that allows these small companies to do it. In Canada, you also have to deal with bilingualism, which leaves less room for ethanol, and if you only sell 25 cases a year because that's the total population of "End-of-the-Earth", Saskatchewan, why, you'll go out of biz purty quick like, sonny!

Alsask. Biggar. Moose Jaw. Fond memories.

Old 11-19-2009, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robynator View Post
Honestly, this entire thread is one big joke.

You can't really make sweeping generalizations about all of Canada and all of the USA.
Exactly. Like "American Beer is ****!" or "American hot dogs are ditto". Now, you could say, in general, "American automobiles are generally of lower quality than Asian ones", or "The UAW are a bunch of idiots" or "Detroit is a hell-hole, and Truro is not" or "The Canadian military needs more and better warplanes, and should never have given up the Avro Arrow". Etc, etc.

But to broadly generalize? Not so much.

(BTW, hard to beat a deluxe Triple-O White Spot burger, except they screwed with the old bun recipe.... Sigh. Nothing like it that I've found yet in the US).

Have one for me, wouldja, Robynator?

Old 11-19-2009, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
Yes it can screw it up. In some areas of our industry we have a bit of that too.

Should I be able to work there, I'd only like to compete with Americans for jobs based on skills, experience and attitude alone. I already make more money here than I could in the U.S.A., I have no interest in immigration to take a job that pays less than the average American salary. If anything, I would hope that I could help bring your average wages up.
I lived and worked professionally in both countries. As a consultant in Alberta & B.C., I made about $120k a year in the late '70s, working in The Oil Patch. The marginal tax rate on income over $75 was, if I recall correctly but also with with horror, about 50%. Ouch. You work hard a lot, and Jean Cretien or Pierre E. T. got to live very high on the hog.

Meantime, later in the US, when I made $120/a, I paid a maximum marginal rate of 32%, and that only on the amount >$80k. Overall my take-home pay was significantly higher. My company paid for my very deluxe health care, and that's also vastly technically superior to anything anywhere in Canada, in general. Do check out The Mayo Clinic, and then Vancouver General!

Don't forget those Canadian taxes! Staggering, just like Sweden, France, Britain, etc. All the countries that supposedly "offer a lot". Well, yes, but they get to decide what that "lot" is, and you get to pay, not only for the service, but for the truly massive government beaurocracy that runs it.

Old 11-19-2009, 01:11 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,580,750 times
As someone who travels extensively in the USA I have made an observation that I believe to be true. The USA is set up way better for people who are travelling or out on the road. First of all the roads themselves are far superior. The interstate system must be the best land transport system in the world. In Canada we have One national highway, the TransCanada highway. It's a bad joke. In many places it's just a regular 2 lane road that is inferior to almost all American secondary State highways.
The amenities for the travelling public are so much better in the USA than in Canada that there is not even any comparison at all. Interstate highways have rest stops at regular intervals and some of them are the most gorgeous buildings I have ever seen. They are about as clean as your average operating room. In Canada if you can find a place to stop it's usually dirty and yucky in most ways. My wife and I travel coast to coast on a regular basis and we always hope that our pickup is in the USA so we can travel all the way across to Seattle and then up to Van. When we pick up in Canada we have to drive all the way on the trans Canada and that is just a bummer. The scenery and everything is good but the road just really sucks.

Old 11-19-2009, 01:26 PM

1,478 posts, read 5,084,859 times
CON for Canada: can't have guns

CON for U.S.: anybody can have guns

Old 11-19-2009, 02:40 PM

287 posts, read 1,010,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cart24 View Post
Ask you son in law who there is as a Jamaican he can look to as an example of success in Ontario? Where are the high ranking members in local and provincial government? Where are the head's of surgical departments? The Partners on Bay Street? Etc, etc.....In the US the last two Secretaries of State before Clinton were of Jamaican decent (Colin Powell and Condoleezza Rice) The Governor of New York is also Jamaican and the Head of one of the largest Departments at Harvard University (Charles Ogletree) is as well. That is just scratching the surface. If race relations are not an issue where is all the opportunity that should be a result of this? Also would you please explain to me why Black West Indian immigrants in Queens NYC out-earn Black West Indians in Toronto?
Well, here's a Jamaican-Canadian billionaire for starters, The Royal Ontario Museum built that 'crystal' extension in his name: Michael Lee-Chin - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Also, "The Father of British Columbia" is of partly West Indian descent: James Douglas (governor) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Lincoln Alexander, first black MP and 24th Lieutenant Governor of Ontario:
Lincoln Alexander - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Not to mention Haitian-born Governor General Michaëlle Jean, previous G-G Adrienne Clarkson from Hong Kong, former BC premier Indo-Canadian Ussal Dosanjh, Inuit federal minister of health Leona Aglukkaq.

I'm sure there are many more examples. I don't think anyone's denying there is racism in Canada, but maybe you could get out of your own bubble and recognize the great opportunities and achievements of "visible minorities" here.

Last edited by aggo; 11-19-2009 at 03:13 PM..

Old 11-19-2009, 03:17 PM

793 posts, read 1,453,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aggo View Post
Well, here's a Jamaican-Canadian billionaire for starters, The Royal Ontario Museum built that 'crystal' extension in his name: Michael Lee-Chin - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Also, the "The Father of British Columbia" is of partly West Indian descent: James Douglas (governor) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Lincoln Alexander, first black MP and 24th Lieutenant Governor of Ontario:
Lincoln Alexander - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Not to mention Haitian-born Governor General Michaëlle Jean, previous G-G Adrienne Clarkson from Hong Kong, former BC premier Indo-Canadian Ussal Dosanjh, Inuit federal minister of health Leona Aglukkaq.

I'm sure there are many more examples. I don't think anyone's denying there is racism in Canada, but maybe you could get out of your own bubble and recognize the great opportunities and achievements of "visible minorities" here.
See what I mean, you have to reach way back into history to pull together a list, my examples are current or within the past 8 years. Do you really want to go through history and compare? Everybody knows that there has been some success stories in Canada for people of colour, no one is denying that.

The point I was trying to make is that racism is equal across the board between Canada and the US. The differences are that racism is more overt in the US than Canada, but even with this overt racism there is more opportunity for people of colour in the US in comparison to Canada. Look at the amount of black owned businesses, politicians, attorneys, doctors etc, do you think it is equitable across the board? Does a city in Canada exist where Blacks out earn Whites like Queens, NY? or where you have predominantly black neighborhoods that are filled with millionaires like in Atlanta? That does not exist, partly due to population, but also due to opportunity.

It is funny you mention Michael Lee-Chin, because you would probably be shocked at the stories he tells about racism and bigotry during his rise to success over the years in Canada. I have a family connection to him so I have had the opportunity to speak with him on the topic, but you can google it and find some of his thoughts on the topic as well.

Everyone knows that there is racism in America, it is not hidden at all, but I was simply responding to a poster that did claim that there was perfect racial harmony in Canada and that the US was filled with bigots, so there is an over exaggeration on one case and under exaggeration on the other.

Old 11-19-2009, 04:01 PM

287 posts, read 1,010,472 times
Quote:
See what I mean, you have to reach way back into history to pull together a list, my examples are current or within the past 8 years. Do you really want to go through history and compare? Everybody knows that there has been some success stories in Canada for people of colour, no one is denying that.

The point I was trying to make is that racism is equal across the board between Canada and the US. The differences are that racism is more overt in the US than Canada, but even with this overt racism there is more opportunity for people of colour in the US in comparison to Canada. Look at the amount of black owned businesses, politicians, attorneys, doctors etc, do you think it is equitable across the board? Does a city in Canada exist where Blacks out earn Whites like Queens, NY? or where you have predominantly black neighborhoods that are filled with millionaires like in Atlanta? That does not exist, partly due to population, but also due to opportunity.

It is funny you mention Michael Lee-Chin, because you would probably be shocked at the stories he tells about racism and bigotry during his rise to success over the years in Canada. I have a family connection to him so I have had the opportunity to speak with him on the topic, but you can google it and find some of his thoughts on the topic as well.

Everyone knows that there is racism in America, it is not hidden at all, but I was simply responding to a poster that did claim that there was perfect racial harmony in Canada and that the US was filled with bigots, so there is an over exaggeration on one case and under exaggeration on the other.
Didn't you see the current examples I mentioned? You're the one who seems to be denying that there are success stories with minorities in Canada.

You mentioned before that "west indian" blacks in Queens, NY outearn West Indians in Toronto. Cite your source, please. In fact, why don't you find a more comprehensive study while you're at it? How are you so sure there aren't any other black millionaires in Canada? I think population is certainly a factor.

It's sad that Michael Lee-Chin encountered some racism on his way up, but why you don't ask your family connections (or him directly if you can) why he bothered to donate $30 million to a Toronto museum, and why didn't he move permanently to the US or back to Jamaica if he encountered such systematic and pervasive discrimination and lack of opportunity here?

I'm white but I think your assertion of racism in Canada and the US being equal is ridiculous. I hope some other people who you might deem "qualified" to comment can weigh in on the matter. And not just black, there are other minorities besides blacks who can be just as susceptible to racism, you know.

Last edited by aggo; 11-19-2009 at 04:21 PM..

Old 11-19-2009, 04:32 PM

1,048 posts, read 6,445,308 times
Quote:
Does a city in Canada exist where Blacks out earn Whites like Queens, NY? or where you have predominantly black neighborhoods that are filled with millionaires like in Atlanta? That does not exist, partly due to population, but also due to opportunity.
No, I doubt Canada has any neighbourhoods where black populations dominate simply because the black population in Canada is tiny.

There are certainly cities/suburbs where "minorities" are the majorities, and where they do very, very well for themselves. Richmond BC comes to mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada