Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2013, 04:04 AM

2,982 posts, read 4,102,786 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweat209 View Post
Never seen anyone in pajama pants in Canada or the US . What city do you live in.
Sadly, this is quite common in the GTA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2013, 04:08 AM

455 posts, read 1,132,345 times
Oh for the sake of everyone else in the GTA please don't give the impression that what happens in Oshawa defines the GTA. It's its own little world there in the "dirty 'shwa".

Old 02-19-2013, 04:19 AM

1,027 posts, read 2,050,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annuvin View Post
Sadly, this is quite common in the GTA.
Where ?

I never seen anyone in pajama pants in the US or Canada . What cities or areas?

Where are you seeing this Walmart ?

And for poster above I mean urban store-front ( foot traffic) than suburb malls ,big box stores and big parking lot little to no foot traffic.

Old 02-19-2013, 07:32 AM

2,982 posts, read 4,102,786 times
Quote:
Where ?

And for poster above I mean urban store-front ( foot traffic) than suburb malls ,big box stores and big parking lot little to no foot traffic.
Wal-Mart? not quite... I see it on the streets of Oshawa, Whitby, Port Perry and Toronto. I assumed it was some new ghetto fashion (or the "I give up" look), kinda like wearing your jeans somewhere in the vicinity of your ankles (also popular in Toronto!).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mhundred
Oh for the sake of everyone else in the GTA please don't give the impression that what happens in Oshawa defines the GTA. It's its own little world there in the "dirty 'shwa".
Actually, I live in north Oshawa and don't go anywhere near the dirty south. You seem awfully familiar with it though... Do you visit specifically for the crack cocaine or the streetwalkers?

Old 02-19-2013, 07:33 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,053,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
A predominantely English suburb of Montreal and an urban neighbourhood just outside of DT Vancouver.
You could also point out that you've lived in both places long enough to know the downtown and suburbs of either.

Another thing I have noticed in Montreal is that there is less of a drop-off between city dwellers and suburbanites in the way they dress.

I also find that in Quebec you have less of a difference in the way people dress between the big cities and the smaller ones than elsewhere in Canada or North America.

For some reason there is a much bigger difference between Toronto-Kingston than there is between Montreal-Sherbrooke, for example.

Old 02-19-2013, 08:11 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,053,631 times
Quote:
When I was in Vancouver ,suburbs of Toronto (GTA area) and some cities in Manitoba and Saskatchewan I have notice people in Canada dress more casual , more guys and girls wearing sweatpants ,trackpants and jogging pants.

If you go to mall like one in five dress like that and one in three at you local store .I have not notice this like this in the US in Phoenix ,Los Angeles or Miami ( most 95% not into that there) and I have seen many people in jeans so I don't think the reason its because it is hot there has some trackpants and athletic pants is cooler than jeans in hot weather.Seen many people in jeans there so I don't think its because of the weather.

Other thing I notice more of a twist is more Americans are into baseball cap than people in Canada.
To answer the overall question posed, I don't think one can say that Canadians dress more casually than Americans. In terms of fashion, the two countries can be said to be all over the map (quite literally) and in this they are very similar.

Both have areas where a lot of people are sloppy and other areas where people dress snappier. There are likely regional, demographic, socio-economic and other factors that influence this.

Also, I think it has been alluded to but I would also say size is not necessarily a determining factor. In many cases larger cities will be quite chic but not always.

Some general comments on Canadian fashion:

Quebec City in Canada is smaller than Ottawa, Edmonton and Calgary and equal to Winnipeg and Hamilton but is more chic than any of them.

Ottawa is not slobby but fairly conservative and sometimes borderline dowdy for a G8 national capital with lots of embassies, senior officials, and the like.

I find that my own city of Gatineau, Quebec (right across from Ottawa) underperforms for a pretty affluent city of 275,000 people in the province of Quebec, right next to a national capital (OK - though Ottawa may actually not really bring Gatineau fashion upwards...) and pretty close to Montreal. I actually find Gatineau to be the worst-dressed city in Quebec, although by continental North American standards (casting a wide net here) it is really not so bad.

I find that generally people in Quebec seem to put more energy and attention into what they wear when going out, but sometimes they go over the top and they do not achieve the desired effect. We in Quebec are accustomed to seeing these "pondered fashion crimes" and do not bat an eye but I suppose to other North Americans, especially those from more conservative fashion locales, they much find a lot of people in Quebec dress very tacky.

As I said - it may not always look good but it's not for lack of trying, and is a very different mentality then putting on the first t-shirt and pair or track pants and sneakers that you stumble upon, and not even combing your hair before going out to eat...

Old 02-19-2013, 12:34 PM

4,865 posts, read 10,530,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
You could also point out that you've lived in both places long enough to know the downtown and suburbs of either.

Another thing I have noticed in Montreal is that there is less of a drop-off between city dwellers and suburbanites in the way they dress.

I also find that in Quebec you have less of a difference in the way people dress between the big cities and the smaller ones than elsewhere in Canada or North America.

For some reason there is a much bigger difference between Toronto-Kingston than there is between Montreal-Sherbrooke, for example.
I actually don't really know how people dress in Vancouver's suburbs. I've hardly been to them at all yet.

Old 02-19-2013, 01:37 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,567,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
I actually don't really know how people dress in Vancouver's suburbs. I've hardly been to them at all yet.
Depends on the suburb. You do notice things like different hairstyles on men and women. We used to joke about " Surrey " hair.

Old 02-19-2013, 08:01 PM

328 posts, read 997,660 times
Quote:
Never seen anyone in pajama pants in Canada or the US . What city do you live in.

I live in Mississauga. To be fair though, it was a neighbour girl walking her dog on Sunday at 9am but I feel like I have seen it before at the strip mall nearby.

Maybe it is better to compare Canadian cities with their U.S. counterparts. For example Toronto/Chicago, Montreal/Boston, and Vancouver/Seattle.

Old 02-19-2013, 09:09 PM

1,027 posts, read 2,050,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gosling View Post
I live in Mississauga. To be fair though, it was a neighbour girl walking her dog on Sunday at 9am but I feel like I have seen it before at the strip mall nearby.

Maybe it is better to compare Canadian cities with their U.S. counterparts. For example Toronto/Chicago, Montreal/Boston, and Vancouver/Seattle.
We are dealing with culture thing .

Every country is bit different on casual dress . Take Bangkok and some places in Philippines they blow US away with casual dress but casual dress is more t-shirt , jeans , shorts all types ( jeans shorts , gym shorts and even some pajama shorts . Some even trackpants but the culture ends there. Where sweatpants , jogging pants no where to be found and trackpants are not that popular like US and Canada there .

Some of clothes are baggy and lose but no where like US the hip hop . Those places get very hot so close fit weather.In Europe it gets cold so clothing style was more on clothes that keep you warm .

In Canada and US the weather is more in between so clothing fits that.

The wearing of jeans and baseball cap is US culture that spread around world in 60's it fits well that US will be more into baseball cap than Canada.

The hip hop look baggy jeans , big baggy long t-shirts , baggy shorts ,do-rag is US thing started by blacks in US that white people than started to copying it so fits well more of this in US than Canada.

The sweatpants again is US thing that spread to other countries but does NOT seem to hit countries in Asia ( because of government laws on local clothing stores ) and some reason Canada seems to be more into this than US.

The Provence of Quebec is very different than Canada when comes to politics being very very very liberal , how they speak ,Accent, custom and social behavior. The cities look different too !!! You will feel you are in Europe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada