Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2013, 12:09 PM

1,132 posts, read 1,938,373 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post
Nop

• The Rhinoceros Party party pledged to eliminate small businesses, and replace them with very small business, having less than one employee.
  • Candidate Graham Ashley, standing in Ottawa-Vanier, pledged to take Canada off the Gold Standard, and implement a Snow Standard, which would improve the economy until the summer.
  • Abolishing the environment because it's too hard to keep clean and it takes up so much space
  • Adopting the British system of driving on the left; this was to be gradually phased in over five years with large trucks and tractors first, then buses, eventually including small cars and bicycles last.
  • Putting the national debt on Visa
But they had some good ideas I mean the snow standard and paying off the national debt with Visa and get a bunch of Air miles and Rewards points plus have to get used to oncoming 18 wheelers in my side of the road driving my F250 on the highway at 110K-115K LOL
I was always a fan of their pledges to pave Manitoba. The promise to declare war on Belgium was pretty funny, too - especially as the Belgian embassy played along and delivered a gift of mussels and beer, thus ending the feud.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2013, 12:18 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,348,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
I'm rather disappointed with the Original Poster. I'd been hoping he'd have the courtesy to come back to his topic to answer questions and provide his own definition of what he believes is a real conservative by American standards. I guess he wasn't really interested and was just posting the topic to try to stir the pot.

I don't know what a real conservative is supposed to be in America (they all seem to be so scattered and going in different directions with differing ideals) and for that matter even the American liberals I know seem to be very different from the liberals I'm accustomed to in Canada. So I don't think it's really possible to make comparisons between Americans and Canadians in their respective political ideals.

I'd have to concur with you - definitions of conservative/liberal positions are fairly country-specific, even for countries with reasonable levels of similarity such as CDN and USA, and it's hard to really do a comparison. For example, universal health care is supported by Canadians across the political spectrum (because it's been a reality for decades) while it is an issue of contention between political ideologies in the USA.

Old 04-14-2013, 07:12 PM

14,611 posts, read 17,532,401 times
While not a subtle analysis The combined population of the six eastern provinces of Canada is 69% of the population of Canada.
*Ontario, *
Quebec
*Nova Scotia
*New Brunswick
*Newfoundland and Labrador
*Prince Edward Island
The population of New England is 4.68% of the United States. Even including the Mid-Atlantic states doesn't bring you close to a third of USA.

I suspect on a very broad basis the political thinking of someone from Ontario will be closer to Massachusetts than to Montana. From my experience in Alberta, they tend to be politically closer to Montana and North Dakota than to the Eastern states (of either country).

The culture and politics of southern USA is probably nearly unknown to Canadians. It's something they know from television.

No matter which way you slice it, Canada is much more urban than the USA.

So, I would say you probably wouldn't expect them to be as conservative (by the conventional definitions).

Old 04-14-2013, 07:52 PM

1,132 posts, read 1,938,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoMartin View Post
While not a subtle analysis The combined population of the six eastern provinces of Canada is 69% of the population of Canada.

The population of New England is 4.68% of the United States. Even including the Mid-Atlantic states doesn't bring you close to a third of USA.

I suspect on a very broad basis the political thinking of someone from Ontario will be closer to Massachusetts than to Montana. From my experience in Alberta, they tend to be politically closer to Montana and North Dakota than to the Eastern states (of either country).
I agree that Alberta is closer, politically speaking, to Montana than to Eastern Canada.

However, you've included Ontario in Canada's "liberal east" while excluding the USA's upper midwest (MI, MN, WI, IL and other blue states which I may have missed.) - I would reconsider your 69% to 4.68% number in light of that. After all, if we're willing to suggest that the Canadian West and the American Upper West are politically similar, it would seem obvious that both Canada's and the USA's great lakes regions would share political similarities, as well.

It's worth noting, too, that you've exempted the lower mainland of BC and much of the US west coast from your analysis.

Quote:
No matter which way you slice it, Canada is much more urban than the USA.
Slicing it statistically, Canada is approximately 2% more urban than the USA.(US Census/StatsCan)

However, it's worth pointing out that those data sets are not equivalent. Canada defines rural communities as less than 1,000 people, while the US defines them as less than 10,000. Knowing that, we can assume that if we did have equivalent census methodology, the divide would be something less than the 2% quoted above.

Old 04-18-2013, 11:34 AM

10,016 posts, read 12,572,543 times
It's a very hard question to answer because there are very few American "Conservatives" in a true sence. The GOP is not a conservative political movement by any definition of the word. They are a mixture of Neocons, fascists, economic royalists, anarchists, know nothings, religious fanatics, racists, crooks, militarists, self serving mental defectives and other unsavoury types. Any true conservative would be kicked out of the Republican party of today.

Old 04-18-2013, 02:44 PM

10,060 posts, read 12,800,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
It's a very hard question to answer because there are very few American "Conservatives" in a true sence. The GOP is not a conservative political movement by any definition of the word. They are a mixture of Neocons, fascists, economic royalists, anarchists, know nothings, religious fanatics, racists, crooks, militarists, self serving mental defectives and other unsavoury types. Any true conservative would be kicked out of the Republican party of today.

How would you define a "true conservative"?

Old 04-18-2013, 03:50 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,011,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
Do you want to know that definition by American standards or Canadian standards?

I'm still waiting for an American to give us the definition of a "true conservative" by American standards. Hey there Mouldy Old Schmo, maybe you could fill in for the OP and give us your defintion of a true conservative by American standards since the OP has decided to not return to the topic with a response.

Old 04-18-2013, 04:11 PM

10,060 posts, read 12,800,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Do you want to know that definition by American standards or Canadian standards?

I'm still waiting for an American to give us the definition of a "true conservative" by American standards. Hey there Mouldy Old Schmo, maybe you could fill in for the OP and give us your defintion of a true conservative by American standards since the OP has decided to not return to the topic with a response.

The question was directed to "lucknow".

Here is Wikipedia's article about American conservatism:

Conservatism in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And "aboat" Canadian conservatism:

Conservatism in Canada - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"Tradition" means different things in the United States and Canada. It even differs from one part of the U.S. to another.

Old 04-18-2013, 04:40 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,011,327 times
Quote:

The question was directed to "lucknow".
Yes, I was fully aware of that but thank you for pointing that out to me again. However, "I" was asking "you" for clarification about your question that you directed to lucknow and you have apparently declined to clarify.

Here's the question again (a little more explicitly this time) in case you change your mind and decide to respond. Do you want to know lucknow's definition of a "true conservative" by your American standards or by lucknow's Canadian standards?

As regards the wiki links you posted - While informative I don't think the definitions coming from the wikipedia articles can be considered personal view point definitions. Also, as was pointed out even in the wiki article about American conservatism "The meaning of "conservatism" in America has little in common with the way the word is used elsewhere." That is absolutely the truth from my experience with America and I think that even the majority of American people's most basic understanding of the meaning of true conservatism is a mysterious foreign idealogy and concept that Americans have no comprehension of at all.

I also think that most Americans are aware of that lack of comprehension and that's the reason why Americans are being hestitant here to attempt to define what true conservatism is by American standards - because they know it's not the same as anywhere else.

Last edited by Zoisite; 04-18-2013 at 04:48 PM..

Old 04-18-2013, 06:38 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,572,543 times
Quote:
OK, I will take a stab at it.

A conservative is wary and even frightened of change. That is why in history 101 class conservativism is usually described as "REACTIONARY. THIS IS ONLY LOGICAL FOR THE CONSERVATIVE BECAUSE THEY ARE GENERALLY AT THE TOP IN THE PRESENT STATUS QUO AND FEAR CHANGE MIGHT BE BAD FOR THEM!!!!
This position is not alway wrong as many liberal programmes run amuck have caused big problems in a society. EG. the UK of the 60s and 70s. The position is usually wrong but not always.

A conservative likes tradition. "This is the way it has always been done" is a good enough reason to continue to do it even if there is a better way.

Conservatives are and have been free traders for a long time and believe in laissez faire economics.

JUST LIKE AMERICAN CONSERVATIVES THEY DON'T LIKE GOVERNMENT REGULATION.

JUST LIKE AMERICAN CONSERVATIVES THEY TEND TO BLAME THE POOR FOR THEIR OWN POLICY FAILURES.

They tend to believe in a robust foreign policy and a projection of Canadian power, LOL {Goofballs}

They support the decentralization of power within the confederation and have handed over to the provinces many powers.

These are just a few of the traits of a Canadian conservative. There are many more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada