Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2013, 07:31 PM

1,442 posts, read 1,940,007 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
OK, I will take a stab at it.

A conservative is wary and even frightened of change. That is why in history 101 class conservativism is usually described as "REACTIONARY. THIS IS ONLY LOGICAL FOR THE CONSERVATIVE BECAUSE THEY ARE GENERALLY AT THE TOP IN THE PRESENT STATUS QUO AND FEAR CHANGE MIGHT BE BAD FOR THEM!!!!
This position is not alway wrong as many liberal programmes run amuck have caused big problems in a society. EG. the UK of the 60s and 70s. The position is usually wrong but not always.

A conservative likes tradition. "This is the way it has always been done" is a good enough reason to continue to do it even if there is a better way.

Conservatives are and have been free traders for a long time and believe in laissez faire economics.

JUST LIKE AMERICAN CONSERVATIVES THEY DON'T LIKE GOVERNMENT REGULATION.

JUST LIKE AMERICAN CONSERVATIVES THEY TEND TO BLAME THE POOR FOR THEIR OWN POLICY FAILURES.

They tend to believe in a robust foreign policy and a projection of Canadian power, LOL {Goofballs}

They support the decentralization of power within the confederation and have handed over to the provinces many powers.

These are just a few of the traits of a Canadian conservative. There are many more.
Ugh, is this an NDP voter I see?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2013, 06:31 AM

10,016 posts, read 12,580,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montguy View Post
Ugh, is this an NDP voter I see?
You would be WRONG ABOUT THAT!!!

I have never once voted for the NDP. With their current move toward the center I'm just might. It all depends on the performence of the new Liberal leader.

Old 04-19-2013, 07:21 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,293,297 times
I actually think this is pretty close. If you take some of the inflammitory language out, it's probably closer.

No offence lucknow;

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
OK, I will take a stab at it.

A conservative likes tradition, and is resistant to change for change's sake.

Conservatives are and have been free traders for a long time and believe in laissez faire economics.

JUST LIKE AMERICAN CONSERVATIVES THEY DON'T LIKE excessive, useless GOVERNMENT REGULATION.

JUST LIKE AMERICAN CONSERVATIVES THEY TEND TO BLAME THE POOR FOR THEIR OWN POLICY FAILURES. - I have to disagree here. Absolutely for the Republican party, not in my experience with Canada.

They tend to believe in a robust foreign policy and a projection of Canadian power, but in a diplomatic and moral sense. Canada will never project power like the US or Russia, but you can project your ideals through other means such as peacekeeping. Additionally Conservatives take a great deal of pride in the sacrifices and successes of our past that seem to be dismissed so readily by others.

They support the decentralization of power within the confederation and have handed over to the provinces many powers, that were rightly theirs to begin with in Confederation and the Constitution Act, but had been ursurped by multiple Federal Governments

These are just a few of the traits of a Canadian conservative. There are many more.

Old 04-19-2013, 07:32 AM

10,060 posts, read 12,813,278 times
Default Justin Trudeau: a sensible man?

Justin Trudeau and the problem with

Old 04-19-2013, 10:29 AM

18,504 posts, read 15,560,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
He's correct.
Through the whole 9/11 period, many were wondering where the introspection was in the U.S.
I don't ever remember any serious look at why some group would want to do this.
You got silly comments about " hating democracy" " jealous of our stuff" etc.
If you dare ask or suggest that you try and figure out the reasons, you were branded, as Trudeau has been, as being somehow on the side of the terrorists. Which is absolute garbage and failed reasoning.

Old 04-19-2013, 10:36 AM

10,016 posts, read 12,580,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
He's correct.
Through the whole 9/11 period, many were wondering where the introspection was in the U.S.
I don't ever remember any serious look at why some group would want to do this.
You got silly comments about " hating democracy" " jealous of our stuff" etc.
If you dare ask or suggest that you try and figure out the reasons, you were branded, as Trudeau has been, as being somehow on the side of the terrorists. Which is absolute garbage and failed reasoning.
What can you expect from a RAG like the Toronto Sun? It ranks right up there with Fox news as totally useless, lying, piece of crap journalism

Old 04-19-2013, 11:12 AM

2,801 posts, read 3,859,823 times
I'm not sure if I support Justin Trudeau, but what he's saying about root causes is what a lot of progressive-minded people are thinking, but too afraid to say because they might be branded as sympathizers.

Examining root causes does not mean you think that the perpetrators are any less responsible for what they did; it simply means that if root causes can be determined and then efforts to eliminate them are made, one could potentially remove some of the reasons or so-called "justifications" that terrorists or potential terrorists point to as part of their motivation.

Some possible root causes that should be addressed are:

- America's unwavering support of Israel, and their reluctance to take a more balanced aproach vis-a-vis Palestinian grievances
- The ongoing use of drone strikes to kill alleged terrorists, which often kill innocent civilians
- The alienation of inner-city youth due to poverty and, particulrly for Muslims, discrimination against them on account of 9/11 and subsequent terrorist attacks carried out by Islamic extremists

These are just a handful of grievances one often hears from radicalized Muslims as all or part of their motivation for becoming radicalized or committing (attempting to commit) terrorist attacks. Please keep in mind that I don't believe ANY of these grievances are justifications for committing attacks against innocent civilians.

That said, introspection and non-law-enforcement / military / Homeland Security responses are sometimes just as effective in preventing radicalization of youth. Community outreach, better efforts to integrate young Muslims into American society, more balanced approaches to Middle East diplomacy, stopping drone attacks in all but the most necessary instances (like when an imminent attack can be interrupted, or when a terrorist actively engaged in planning or carrying out attacks has been targeteed), more engagement with the Muslim communtiy to counter the rhetoric of Islamic radicals with more moderate positions, having respected moderate clerics preach in American mosques to counter radical philosophy with Koran-based counter-arguments and having an open dialogue with Muslims to debate the benefits of moderate Islam versus the Salafi / Wahabbi strain of ultra-conservative Islam.

Combined with law-enforcement strategies, these kinds of responses can be very effective in helping to counter the radicalization of Muslims and prevent future attacks.

I think this might be what Justin Trudeau mean when he spoke of understanding root causes. I don't believe he meant to infer that there were justifications for terrorist attacks that have to be addressed, but there certainly are root causes within American society / foreign policy that can be addressed to not only prevent radicalization, but help authorities and everyday Americans understand some of the reasons why seemingly average Muslim-Americans are radicalized.

Of course, the Conservatives and Trudeau's opponents will milk this statement for all it's worth to make it seem like he was blaming America in some way for Islamic terrorism, when I don't think that's what he was doing at all. Nonetheless, it is controversial for anyone (nevermind a prominent politician) to make any suggestion that root causes within American society / foreign policy might somehow be responsible for radicalizing American Muslims, when I think it is obvious that this is true (as many radicalized Muslims have themselves said in many instances). However, no one wants to address this fact and admit publicly that maybe American foreign policy is radicalizing American Muslims. Instead people want to place the entire blame for radicalization on the radicals themselves without acknowledging that extremist clerics and jihadists would have a much harder time radicalizing American Muslims without being able to point to these "root causes" as evidence that America is anti-Muslim, pro-Israel, and responsible for killing innocent Muslim civilians all over the world. Those who do not want to admit that these things may be "root causes" for the radicalization of American Muslims are either being willfully blind, unable to imagine that American foreign policy might bear some responsibility, or simply refuse to state the obvious fact that these things do contribute to the radicalization of American Muslims without suggesting that they are to blame for terrorist attacks.

Old 04-19-2013, 04:12 PM

1,027 posts, read 2,049,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badbrains View Post
are there 'real conservatives' when you get out of the biggest cities, kind of like what you'd always expect in the states?

('real conservatives' by american standards)

I would say Canadians where more liberal before but the past 10 years more moderate conservative. Not the hard core in the US the so called hard core conservative that want to do away with social security and healthcare.

There is lack of libertarian party and tea party movement in Canada .

Old 04-20-2013, 04:58 PM

684 posts, read 1,122,519 times
Yes. On average, Canadians are more intelligent, ergo more Liberal.

Old 04-20-2013, 05:54 PM

10,060 posts, read 12,813,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mintgum84 View Post
Yes. On average, Canadians are more intelligent, ergo more Liberal.

Really? You got proof? Don't show clips of Rick Mercer's "Talking to Americans"!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada