Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2013, 11:48 AM

2,801 posts, read 3,860,502 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
Why is every second thread on the Canada forum about the U.S.?
My guess is that this is an American board, dominated by American users and members, with discussion focused almost entirely on different regions of the US. The Canada forum is kind of an afterthought, and my guess is that many of the people who post in the Canada forum are American.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2013, 11:59 AM

10,060 posts, read 12,815,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOkidd View Post
My guess is that this is an American board, dominated by American users and members, with discussion focused almost entirely on different regions of the US. The Canada forum is kind of an afterthought, and my guess is that many of the people who post in the Canada forum are American.

I guess the Canadians need to adopt Canadian spelling in order to stand out!

Old 06-10-2013, 12:17 PM

2,801 posts, read 3,860,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
I guess the Canadians need to adopt Canadian spelling in order to stand out!
My iPad automatically corrects me if I spell a word in the American manner. I cannot spell center without my iPad changing it to centre.

Old 06-10-2013, 02:43 PM

6,560 posts, read 14,463,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
Why is every second thread on the Canada forum about the U.S.?
Because for a lot of Americans, the relevant thing about Canada is how it relates to the US? Because of the US's general narcissism?

Not saying that's how it should be, just trying a responsive answer to the question.

Old 06-12-2013, 07:09 PM

1,976 posts, read 2,353,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
It's a very hard question to answer because there are very few American "Conservatives" in a true sence. The GOP is not a conservative political movement by any definition of the word. They are a mixture of Neocons, fascists, economic royalists, anarchists, know nothings, religious fanatics, racists, crooks, militarists, self serving mental defectives and other unsavoury types. Any true conservative would be kicked out of the Republican party of today.
Exactly right. Seeing Bob Dole on TV recently made me nostalgic for actual conservatives.

Old 06-12-2013, 07:33 PM

3,678 posts, read 7,218,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paparappa View Post
How so?
Also, it's Paparappa.
It says if canadians voted for american presidents mitt Romney would win, and if you knew anything about american politics you would know who he is...

Old 06-12-2013, 07:34 PM

3,678 posts, read 7,218,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOkidd View Post
Are you twenty-years-old and living in Silver Springs, Florida? Just wondering.
Nope but do you have a job i see you have been posting on almost all hours of the day

Old 06-12-2013, 07:49 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,329,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali3448893 View Post
It says if canadians voted for american presidents mitt Romney would win, and if you knew anything about american politics you would know who he is...
Canadians prefer Barack Obama to Mitt Romney by almost a seven to one margin. Nationally, 68% would vote for President Obama if they had a vote in the upcoming Presidential election, while 10% would vote for Mitt Romney. President Obama is the preferred choice of a majority of respondents across all regions and demographic groups. Mr. Romney is most popular in the province of Alberta, but even there, Mr. Obama is the preferred choice by a 50%-19% margin.
Harris/Decima - Obama Remains Extremely Popular in Canada

Old 06-12-2013, 10:21 PM

6,560 posts, read 14,463,545 times
One suspects that's more an expression of Canadians' serious shock and nervousness at the very idea that the current US Republican Party can come anywhere near the presidency, much less control one legislative chamber. One thing that will get us on Canadian radar is if they think we're going to be governed by forces that consider Canada about like China considers Taiwan, both emotionally and as a matter of practical concern. In particular, Canada wants our support for Arctic claims, and it truly does not want us barging in and trying to hog them, or be the Big Cheese who will dictate what Canada will do. That touches on sovereignty, a concern that has guided quite a few decisions throughout Canadian history and is still quite relevant today. A political party devoted mainly to making sure Big US Oil gets everything it asks for, plus as many other goodies as can be located, will rightly make Canadians uneasy.

Everyone saw the Canada Party vids on Youtube, right? If not, you might want to hunt them up. Genius. I voted for them, not being in a swing state and my presidential vote thus meaning zero.

Old 06-12-2013, 10:52 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,329,746 times
Quote:
Everyone saw the Canada Party vids on Youtube, right? If not, you might
want to hunt them up. Genius. I voted for them, not being in a swing state and
my presidential vote thus meaning zero.
This one? I always thought it was hysterical! Absolutely brilliant.

The Canada Party - "Meet The Canada Party" - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada