Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2013, 12:12 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,493,436 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by j_k_k View Post
You might be a Canadian if, every time you ask to use the washroom, Americans send you to a laundry room.

Heh. I like that one about the 2nd Amendment. I bet that's been a topic up there lately, what with the events involving gathering up firearms in Alberta, probably is spurring some debate. It's just as clueless to think that all Canadians are against all firearms as it is to think all Americans are bristling with weaponry and determined to remain so, after all. In fact, my trolly bud is a serious firearms enthusiast, hunter, etc.

Until I can obtain the doll, I could just get a stereotypically nationalistic ballcap covered in various US flag pins and such, put it on, and resort to the slowest, deepest drawl I can summon without quite nodding off. Or, for a different riff, use some Will Ferguson on the t-shirt. That guy is pretty funny. Plus, just having heard of him would get my friend (who's a smart guy) to thinking what else one might come up.
Any mention of firearms evokes memories of 50 years ago hunting in Northern Ontario and later in the northern wilds of British Columbia. Long guns are my history with one pistol of note being an inherited S&W .455 "hand ejector" WWI issued revolver that I lugged as a back-up throughout the B.C. Stikine River area back in the early 60's when hunting while on leave from the Navy. Wish to heaven's I'd kept that old thing!

Full regalia?? along with the drawl, ditch the ball cap. I'd instead, suggest a Stetson along with suitable State emblem shirt, jeans and cowboy boots WITH spurs! Phoney droopy Mark twain/Samual Clements 'tache and a lump in your lower lip. Opening line: "How y'all bin cutt'n 'em?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2013, 12:46 PM

6,560 posts, read 14,463,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Full regalia?? along with the drawl, ditch the ball cap. I'd instead, suggest a Stetson along with suitable State emblem shirt, jeans and cowboy boots WITH spurs! Phoney droopy Mark twain/Samual Clements 'tache and a lump in your lower lip. Opening line: "How y'all bin cutt'n 'em?"
I bet that sucker (the .455) kicked like a mule. One is thinking you were considering the bear population; it would take something that big to even make a dent in a grizzly, not that one would be anxious to be put to that extreme. It's pretty up there, though.

Your sartorial ideas are funnier than you know, because I don't need to use any artificial facial hair. Got the real McCoy (friend me on FB and you can see pics; anyone else who wants to, that'd be great, toss me a PM). The kids on my baseball team nicknamed me 'ZZ' for a reason. In Canada, few things are more amusing than watching Canadian reactions to a gentle inside-voice drawl from what looks to be a certified Authentic American Redneck. "Ah reckon" is my "eh"--the thing I keep hearing about. I usually switch over to my best western Canadian accent (which sounds uncannily like Dave Thomas doing a restrained Doug McKenzie) and say, "Reckon turnaboat's fair play eh?"

Old 07-17-2013, 03:01 PM
pdw

2,674 posts, read 3,096,099 times
Bob and Doug Mackenzie are supposed to be from Toronto, aren't they?

Old 07-17-2013, 03:14 PM

6,560 posts, read 14,463,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdw View Post
Bob and Doug Mackenzie are supposed to be from Toronto, aren't they?
Yeah. But I've never been there, so mine sounds like them. I admit it's a significant weakness. However, in my defense, I only affect it when I think it'll bring a laugh. It probably brings laughs for more reasons than I realize.

Old 07-17-2013, 08:57 PM

557 posts, read 673,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post
Be careful what you wish for. Be very, very careful.

Just a friendly hint,

CS
I wish upon a star that Chevy Spoils will do an 40,000 word essay on the pro/cons and differences between the US Constitution and Articles of Confederation.

Old 07-17-2013, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post
So is the Queen the equivalent of the US Senate?

Hint: Look towards your own civics lessons.

So somehow the Queen is identical to your Senate. Yes?

Looking forward to your response.
You must be confused because your questions makes no sense.

nzrugby comment was

Quote:
Originally Posted by nzrugby View Post
Nope the USA is not democratic when one looks at your Senate, in comparison NZ is a pure Democracy.
Which is why I replied:

Quote:
Originally Posted by drknoble View Post
New Zealand doesn't even have a senate, so what exactly are you comparing to the US senate? Further more, the US Senate was elected, the New Zealand Head of state was not. Your argument makes no sense at all, try again next time.

Last edited by drknoble; 07-17-2013 at 10:13 PM..

Old 07-17-2013, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Your whole topic makes no sense but just for fun lay out some scenarios you think the Queen could perpetrate on the Canadian people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
As i thought no examples at all of what the supposedly evil monarchy could perpetrate on the Canadian people today, why? because your supposedly evil monarchy left the building hundreds of years ago and is now just a symbolic triviality from the past that we Canadians respect as a part of our cultural mosaic, this topic being all torque no traction and not really worthy of anything more than a few sarcastic responses has made me proud to see so many Canadians and a few Americans come together and stand up to your feigned self righteous indignation at another countries cultural makeup. Seems to me its your country thats afu not ours.
Quote:
Originally Posted by drknoble View Post
You're not making any sense. The US system of gov is based around checks and balances, separation of powers, trust but verify. While the undemocratic monarchy doctrine, forced upon Canada, Australia, New Zealand, etc, is centered only around trust. There's no legally specified way to stop the unelected queen from vetoing a bill, making an appointment, or firing a gov official. Which means those constitutional monarchies have no choice but to TRUST the Queen doesn't step out of line.
Have you not been reading the thread, I've given scenarios multiple times as well as actually providing examples of how the unelected monarchy has used their unchecked executive powers in the UK:

Secret papers show extent of senior royals' veto over bills | UK news | The Guardian

Quote:
Here is a list of government bills that have required the consent of the Queen or the Prince of Wales. It is not exhaustive and in only one case does it show whether any changes were made. It is drawn from data gleaned from two Freedom of Information requests.

The Queen

Agriculture (miscellaneous provisions) bill 1962

Housing Act 1996

Rating (Valuation Act) 1999

Military actions against Iraq (parliamentary approval bill) 1999 – consent not signified

Pollution prevention and control bill (1999)

High hedges bills 2000/01 and 2002/03

European Union bill 2004

Civil Partnership Act 2004

Higher Education Act 2004

National Insurance Contributions and Statutory Payments Act 2004

Identity cards bill 2004-06

Work and families bill 2005-06

Commons bill 2006

Animal Welfare Act 2006

Charities Act 2006

Child maintenance and other payments bill (2006/07)

Rating (Empty Properties) Act 2007

Courts, Tribunals and Enforcement Act 2007

Corporate Manslaughter and Corporate Homicide Act 2007

Fixed term parliaments bill (2010-12 session)

Prince Charles

Conveyancing and Feudal Reform (Scotland) Act 1970

Land Registration (Scotland Act) 1979

Pilotage bill 1987

Merchant Shipping and Maritime Security Act 1997

House of Lords Act 1999

Gambling bill 2004-05

Road Safety bill 2004-05

Natural environment and rural communities bill 2005-06

London Olympics bill 2005-06

Commons bill 2006

Charities Act 2006

Housing and regeneration bill 2007-08

Energy bill 2007-08

Planning bill 2007-08

Co-operative and community benefit societies and credit unions bill 2008-09

Local Democracy, Economic Development and Construction (Lords) 2008-09

Marine and Coastal Access (Lords) 2008-09

Coroners and justice bill 2008-09

Marine navigation aids bill 2009-2010

Wreck Removal Convention Act 2010-12
It's very possible that there's a similar Canadian list just as long or longer.

Old 07-17-2013, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by other99 View Post
So you stating that in Canada, as well as affluent as well as personally free countries such as UK, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Netherlands, Belgium, Spain and Japan are countries that run in opposite of a democratic institution?
You're not reading carefully, I said the monarchy is an undemocratic institution.

Old 07-17-2013, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
I see everyone is still having fun with this one.

Wonderful isn't it?

This one thinks the way to stimulate thoughtful discussion is to repetitively utter a point over and over and over again in a mindnumbingly grating manner until we eventually tire of playing this game, at which time he'll retire to his mom's basement and declare himself the champion of Democarcy over those barbaric, tyrannical loving Canadians .

He's not interested in either defending or lauding democarcy as has surely become apparent to everybody on here by now. Debating this point of the Monarchy as it applies within either of; Canada's cultural or political make up with a stupid mule would glean more factual information and food for thought.

We are merely providing this one with entertainment and time-wasting distraction from his favoured games on his X-Box.
So anyone who strongly challenges your beloved monarchy is playing games, and those who bow down to that tyrannical institution are serious and respectable ladies and gentlemen?

Old 07-17-2013, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRooter View Post
Don't they have independence up there? Since about the early 20th Century?
According to the Canadian Constitution, no, since the unelected queen is the permeant head of state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada