Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-13-2013, 06:05 PM

26,875 posts, read 38,019,680 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
. Immigrants of all stripes are going to turn up the heat and some of them have been there longer than the supposed pur laine!
Care to elaborate on this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2013, 08:42 PM

869 posts, read 1,124,668 times
The PQ borrowed the idea from Karl Rove: culture wars bring certain voters to your side, a political manoeuvre intended to help the PQ win a majority in an upcoming election. And then ride it to a referendum. Just like they used the student protests to win the last election. They're manufacturing "winning conditions."

They have created a false crisis because they want francophones to feel like they're under attack by the rest of the country. Could work too.... most pretend they are defending religions/rites but in reality only want to crap on Qc ...which is the epitome of canadian patriotism lol

But its also really weird hearing all those urbane liberals supporting religious "freedom", they are forgetting that most of those religions leave no room for freedom at all. It's all about control.

As much as I question the separatists motives I also question why we couldnt have a real dialogue about the elephant in the room instead of trying to be so neatly PC.

BTW I think Marois would look hotter with a burqa

Old 09-14-2013, 05:49 AM

26,875 posts, read 38,019,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonsereed View Post
The PQ borrowed the idea from Karl Rove: culture wars bring certain voters to your side, a political manoeuvre intended to help the PQ win a majority in an upcoming election. And then ride it to a referendum. Just like they used the student protests to win the last election. They're manufacturing "winning conditions."

They have created a false crisis because they want francophones to feel like they're under attack by the rest of the country. Could work too.... most pretend they are defending religions/rites but in reality only want to crap on Qc ...which is the epitome of canadian patriotism lol

But its also really weird hearing all those urbane liberals supporting religious "freedom", they are forgetting that most of those religions leave no room for freedom at all. It's all about control.

As much as I question the separatists motives I also question why we couldnt have a real dialogue about the elephant in the room instead of trying to be so neatly PC.

BTW I think Marois would look hotter with a burqa
You... really get it.

I am going to be using several of your points in other discussions I am having on this.

Old 09-14-2013, 08:09 AM

2,869 posts, read 5,136,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Sandman You are missing the point of the Charters main objective which is to rid Quebec of visible minorities, the Charter cant very well come out and say its illegal for Jews,Sikhs and Muslims to work in Quebecs public sector so by banning the attire these people wear its achieving the same objective but coming at it trough the back door so to speak.
I disagree. The charter's main objective is to eliminate all religions from public life in Quebec, but that main objective gets watered down so that nothing offends the sensibilities of the PQ's main voting bloc. The PQ doesn't give a flying **** about people's religion. Bernard Drainville is not a racist or a bigot; he's a politician.

Old 09-14-2013, 08:38 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,292,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barneyg View Post
I disagree. The charter's main objective is to eliminate all religions from public life in Quebec, but that main objective gets watered down so that nothing offends the sensibilities of the PQ's main voting bloc. The PQ doesn't give a flying **** about people's religion. Bernard Drainville is not a racist or a bigot; he's a politician.

The concepts are beyond his comprehension along with the concept of religious freedom..
The ultimate consequence to eliminating all religions in Quebec IMO will just result in those with strong religious beliefs no longer coming to Quebec and those that are here will give serious consideration to leaving,.. Brilliant concept just make Quebec such a miserable place to live if your are a visible minority or arent French that not coming to Quebec or leaving Quebec is a preferable alternative , vivre le Quebec Libre... be careful what you wish for as you just might get it..

Old 09-14-2013, 09:25 AM

10,060 posts, read 12,806,906 times
Is this the model that Quebec is trying to follow?

Laïcité - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 09-14-2013, 10:16 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,484,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Care to elaborate on this?

Self explanatory.

The elaboration you're looking for will come; but not from me.

Old 09-14-2013, 12:42 PM

Quote:
The concepts are beyond his comprehension along with the concept of religious freedom..
The ultimate consequence to eliminating all religions in Quebec IMO will just result in those with strong religious beliefs no longer coming to Quebec and those that are here will give serious consideration to leaving,.. Brilliant concept just make Quebec such a miserable place to live if your are a visible minority or arent French that not coming to Quebec or leaving Quebec is a preferable alternative , vivre le Quebec Libre... be careful what you wish for as you just might get it..
Hmmm, alright. So, to you,

"those with strong religious beliefs" = "visible minority"
"neutrality of the state" = "elimination of all religions in Quebec"

Anything else?

Old 09-14-2013, 12:46 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,292,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barneyg View Post
Hmmm, alright. So, to you,

"those with strong religious beliefs" = "visible minority"
"neutrality of the state" = "elimination of all religions in Quebec"

Anything else?

According to Quebecs proposed Charter of Values..

Old 09-14-2013, 12:51 PM

Quote:
According to Quebecs proposed Charter of Values..
Link?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada