Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-27-2013, 06:05 PM
pdw

2,682 posts, read 3,102,254 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
Lol! Godless Commies!
I can't imagine the stereotypes you'd probably have to deal with as a Russian on top of being a Canadian.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2013, 06:29 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,339,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdw View Post
I can't imagine the stereotypes you'd probably have to deal with as a Russian on top of being a Canadian.
Meh, I'm used to it. I did live in the US, where I was a "Godless Commie N-Lover"

Old 10-27-2013, 06:39 PM

1,395 posts, read 2,527,562 times
Quote:
I don't think we should ever give up our currency, under any circumstances.
I agree for the most part.

Quote:
If we were going to have an EU-type arrangement of open borders, I would rather join the Trans-Tasman along with New Zealand and Australia. Forget the USA.
Holy heavens, the anti-American sentiment in you Trudeau Liberal-types borders on the hysterical! All of the advanced Anglosphere countries should have such an arrangement. I might be willing to expand it to include other advanced countries as well depending on the nations in question.

Last edited by maclock; 10-27-2013 at 07:23 PM..

Old 10-27-2013, 07:13 PM

381 posts, read 643,577 times
As an American, Canada looks better every day. Canadians have it great up there. Lots of Americans are suffering in this country and the elitists in business and government in the U.S. could care less.

Old 10-27-2013, 08:10 PM

3,678 posts, read 7,222,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
Meh, I'm used to it. I did live in the US, where I was a "Godless Commie N-Lover"
Just curious, how exactly did you like living in the USA, I am friends with a Russian here in Chicago and he says that even though he gets tons of stereotypes the people seem to be very friendly, not racist at all besides jokes and are very interested including myself. Its a little strange how just across the border from Russia to Estonia he got a lot of racism even though the countries are very close

Old 10-27-2013, 08:49 PM

870 posts, read 1,126,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
Not only would the United States have a permanent Democratic majority, but that party might even be more left than it is now! Plus, the sectional differences could get even worse.
Imagine that

Your great state of Mississippi with more abortion clinics than greasy spoon joints. Southern baptist churches deserted then sold and coming back to life as head shops. Antebellum mansions as massage parlors.

Old 10-27-2013, 10:18 PM

3,379 posts, read 5,541,405 times
Nooooooooooo, never. I'm not merging with a country whose government produces complete nutbars far beyond the realm of what I am used to here in Canada. There's too many resources and green space in the territory that I do not want sold out to an even crazier corporate pissing contest.

If this ever were to happen, I'm pretty sure Quebec, more than ever, would be on the separatist cusp and I will gladly pack up and resurrect my inner Fringlish.

Old 10-27-2013, 11:29 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,339,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali3448893 View Post
Just curious, how exactly did you like living in the USA, I am friends with a Russian here in Chicago and he says that even though he gets tons of stereotypes the people seem to be very friendly, not racist at all besides jokes and are very interested including myself. Its a little strange how just across the border from Russia to Estonia he got a lot of racism even though the countries are very close
Well, I met a lot of nice people. I met some not-so-nice people. I did experience some culture shock when I first moved there. I was stunned by the political divide, horrified by the violence and gangs, saddened profoundly by the state of the healthcare, surprised at the religiosity and amazed by the lack of comprehensive safety nets.
It seemed like if you had a lot of money, life could be pretty damn sweet.
The weather was great.

Old 10-28-2013, 12:08 AM

4,865 posts, read 10,535,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse44 View Post
Nooooooooooo, never. I'm not merging with a country whose government produces complete nutbars far beyond the realm of what I am used to here in Canada. There's too many resources and green space in the territory that I do not want sold out to an even crazier corporate pissing contest.

If this ever were to happen, I'm pretty sure Quebec, more than ever, would be on the separatist cusp and I will gladly pack up and resurrect my inner Fringlish.
Actually yeah. I would not be able to oppose Quebec separatism in this scenario.

Old 10-28-2013, 12:21 AM

3,630 posts, read 3,420,935 times
It would be nice if there was some sort of American relaxation of the rules at land and sea crossings, and for flights between the US and Canada. I well remember driving through the border, telling the US Customs guard, "I'm Canadian," and being told to enjoy my visit to the US. All without paperwork, passports, or similar. Today, I think both countries are equally strict about visitors coming from overseas; so once somebody is in North America from overseas, the old rules should apply.

However, I still support a border with customs and immigration posts.

Canadian independence is important to Canadians, as are the things we hold dear: strict gun control, universal healthcare, our parliamentary system of government, and our own constitution. We have no wish to become Americans. The United States is a fine country, and Canada and the US have historically been the best of friends, but I'd suggest that the average Canadian does not want to be American.

And that is the worry when such a merger is suggested. We're a nation of 35 million people. How do we stand up to a nation of 350 million people? Not every American would want to move northward (certainly, many would be put off by the climate, and by the preponderance of hockey on TV, as opposed to US college sports); but some would. And soon, we in Canada would be having debates about guns for home defense, about buying private health insurance in order to jump the line, and whether we should get militarily involved in world hotspots that we have no interest in.

A border reminds both Americans and Canadians that "beyond this point, things are going to be different."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada