Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2014, 06:01 PM

2,869 posts, read 5,137,197 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
You are probably referring to the parody song I Want to Pogne.
I was wondering what he meant

To clarify for the others: pogner basically means "to be popular", it can be in any context (the default is with the opposite sex, "ouin, tu pognes mon Rod"). The aforementioned song used it in the context of Francophones 'selling out' and singing in English.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2014, 07:52 PM

26,883 posts, read 38,032,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barneyg View Post
I was wondering what he meant

To clarify for the others: pogner basically means "to be popular", it can be in any context (the default is with the opposite sex, "ouin, tu pognes mon Rod"). The aforementioned song used it in the context of Francophones 'selling out' and singing in English.
Rod???? Chest bras bras chest chest bras chest bras dos.

Old 01-30-2014, 12:18 AM

1,051 posts, read 1,741,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markovian process View Post
Tall poppy syndrome - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Whoever wrote this Wikipedia article says so.
Tall poppy syndrome (TPS) is a pejorative term primarily used in the UK, Canada, Australia, New Zealand and other Anglosphere nations to describe a social phenomenon in which people of genuine merit are resented, attacked, cut down, or criticised because their talents or achievements elevate them above or distinguish them from their peers.

Have you heard of it, or recognize it in Canadian culture, as opposed to the more supposedly individualist American culture, which is said to go far in the other direction or extreme with overemphasis or brag about personal success?

I first heard the term used for Australian culture, but not Canadian culture.
I think they got it wrong as far as Australia is concerned: "a social phenomenon in which people of genuine merit are resented, attacked, cut down, or criticised because their talents or achievements elevate them above or distinguish them from their peers."

Its OK to be successful, well off or smart. Just don't think you're superior to others because of it, and if others contributed to your success, acknowledge them.

Old 01-30-2014, 11:58 AM

7,309 posts, read 9,326,230 times
[quote=Richard1098;33247416]I think they got it wrong as far as Australia is concerned: "a social phenomenon in which people of genuine merit are resented, attacked, cut down, or criticised because their talents or achievements elevate them above or distinguish them from their peers."

Its OK to be successful, well off or smart. Just don't think you're superior to others because of it, and if others contributed to your success, acknowledge them.[/quote]

That's the only kind of Tall Poppy syndrome in Canada that I'm familiar with.

Old 01-30-2014, 04:45 PM

10,060 posts, read 12,810,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
You are probably referring to the parody song I Want to Pogne.

After I read the lyrics, I understood them to mean that apparently Rock et Belles Oreilles thought there was something wrong with Quebeckers wanting to sing in English.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada