Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2014, 01:20 PM

342 posts, read 511,349 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
Bingo, Tom. Complete troll post.
You say that anyone who has a thread that mention the word "US" or "American" in the title is trolling.

I don't care if people think I'm American. Canadians are culturally basically just Americans who are in denial.

Old 09-16-2014, 01:22 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,331,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILikeMike91 View Post
You say that anyone who has a thread that mention the word "US" or "American" in the title is trolling.

I don't care if people think I'm American. Canadians are culturally basically just Americans who are in denial.
Hmm? You must have me mixed up with someone else.

Old 09-16-2014, 01:38 PM

26,883 posts, read 38,059,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shona H. View Post
But we still say aboot and can't own a gun..
Sure we can own guns.

Old 09-16-2014, 01:39 PM

342 posts, read 511,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shona H. View Post
But we still say aboot and can't own a gun..

Do you stil say aboot by the way or did you lose your accent? You said you live in the states
Canadians can own guns. Canadians have more guns than almost any other nationality.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Number_...ita_by_country

I don't say aboot. That is more of a southern Ontario thing I am from the west coast.

Old 09-16-2014, 04:14 PM

657 posts, read 803,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
I backpacked through Europe in 2004. It was a blast. I encountered many Americans who wore "CANADA" hats or had "CANADA" badges on their luggage because they did not want it to be known they were American. This was soon after the Iraq War was shown to be a farce (no WMD) and Bush was about to win reelection. Many Europeans were very upset about this and we encountered many who wanted to discuss/air their grievances, etc at great length with American tourists. I was upset too and agreed with most of them, but pretending to be Canadian would have saved us a lot of time over there!
I always found this a little sad. Any European who gives random American tourists a tough time for decisions made by the US government isn't worth knowing.

Old 09-16-2014, 08:47 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,510,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A.J240 View Post
I always found this a little sad. Any European who gives random American tourists a tough time for decisions made by the US government isn't worth knowing.
It wasn't really that necessary, Europeans aren't that annoying to deal with... just the female college student and backpacker types are pretty annoying.

Old 09-16-2014, 08:53 PM

613 posts, read 815,604 times
I'm actually surprised how often I have been spotted as a Canadian. I make no effort to sport a Maple Leaf or anything that would outwardly give my nationality away. I have to say that it has always been to my benefit to be recognized as a Canuck. The people I have encountered seem to prefer the North North Americans.

Old 09-17-2014, 03:54 PM

2,535 posts, read 3,283,359 times
A rugged outdoorsmen type, I can surely see, being seen as Canadian over American. But if I went by post here? It would appear more Americans try to fake being Canadian in Europe, military or not? But since most Americans, not of the world traveling jet-set or on business, making a once in a lifetime trip or few? Do so because of, and go where their ethnic heritage began. Surely Americans still get some like in Eastern Europe. I find it hard to believe Americans get hate in the UK. Or political flack? But I can only go by examples of those who did here. So far no Canadians said they feel a need to make sure they are not mistaken for a American out of fear of disrespect and political anger? Or out of pride in being a Canadian for that matter.

Old 09-17-2014, 04:06 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,567,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steeps View Post
A rugged outdoorsmen type, I can surely see, being seen as Canadian over American. But if I went by post here? It would appear more Americans try to fake being Canadian in Europe, military or not? But since most Americans, not of the world traveling jet-set or on business, making a once in a lifetime trip or few? Do so because of, and go where their ethnic heritage began. Surely Americans still get some like in Eastern Europe. I find it hard to believe Americans get hate in the UK. Or political flack? But I can only go by examples of those who did here. So far no Canadians said they feel a need to make sure they are not mistaken for a American out of fear of disrespect and political anger? Or out of pride in being a Canadian for that matter.
A rugged outdoorsmen type? Now I know you're trolling.

Old 09-17-2014, 09:22 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,057,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steeps View Post

Do Canadians hate and get annoyed, when automatically get mistaken for Americans in the world, outside of North America?

Also what do you do, as a Canadian. As not to get confused for and mistaken for being a American instead of a Canadian, when in the world? Does it come down to clothes?
Well, I don't do it to avoid being mistaken for an American, but I do wear things that have the Canada flag or red maple leaf or other Canadian emblems on them. I also do that at home and even when I'm travelling in the USA. I also fly a small Canada flag on the antennae of my car as well. I do it because I'm happy to let the rest of the world know that I'm proud of Canada. So to this date nobody yet has ever mistaken me for an American.

However, if I was travelling and another person was to somehow miss seeing the Canadian emblems and mistook me for an American it wouldn't bother me a bit. But I'd still let them know that I'm Canadian so that they don't continue in their mistaken conclusion and hopefully they will ask me questions about Canada because I love to talk about Canada.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada