Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2015, 11:35 AM

909 posts, read 1,154,249 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
There's nothing wrong with having an accent. There are of course distinct Canadian accents that are unique to areas within the country and that Americans would recognize as from outside of their own country. It's okay to admit that, there's nothing to be ashamed of, no accent is inherently superior to any other.
Everyone has an accent. Unless no sound comes out of your mouth when you speak.

Old 04-09-2015, 09:57 AM

9,588 posts, read 5,846,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbesdj View Post
I lived there and have been in contact with literally countless English Canadians, they say a variation of aboot and aboat. What is more interesting is how defensive and gear-grinded some Canadians become over such a trivial issue.

Exactly. It's so silly.

Yes, many Canadians DO say "aboot." My former in-laws in Manitoba do. Boy are THEIR accents thick. Plenty of other Canadians, though, say "abowt," like most of my relatives.

Last edited by newdixiegirl; 04-09-2015 at 10:07 AM..

Old 04-09-2015, 10:00 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,053,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post
Exactly. It's so silly.

Yes, many Canadians DO say aboot. My former in-laws in Manitoba do. Boy are THEIR accents thick. Plenty of other Canadians, though, say "abowt," like most of my relatives.
And the way most Americans say it sounds like "abahht" to me.

Old 04-09-2015, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM10 View Post
Honestly I am very much for being separate from Americans and being Canadian but there is very little difference between Canadian and American accents. If there were any differences it would be regional but the accents are overall the same. I don't notice any difference when an American speaks and when a Canadian speaks. But the spelling is different for some words. The only time I heard someone say we speak differently is when I was watching the U.S. presidential election and Obama was saying his speech and someone who was not from North America said they prefer how Americans speak and it sounds more proper and proffesional than when Canadians speak. May be true but apart from that I've rarely ever heard anyone say Americans and Canadians have very different accents apart from this forum.
Well, if this is true, then I must be gifted with an incredible talent to be able to identify a Canadian within one minute of speaking to him/her. Almost without fail. Sometimes, they need only speak a few words, and I know.

Old 04-09-2015, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
And the way most Americans say it sounds like "abahht" to me.
Yes, you're right. And that's the way most Brits and Australians pronounce it, too (the Scots excepted).

Old 04-11-2015, 11:55 AM

9 posts, read 10,067 times
I wouldn't say I "hate" it, it could be annoying depending on what is said next after you tell them that you are, in fact, Canadian. I find that when people say there is no difference, it's a big indicator that they know very little of what they are talking about and have only superficially looked at the question. All one has to do is venture into some subjects that concern core beliefs and philosophies/attitudes to find out that there are some very big differences between Americans and Canadians... ex. gun control, healthcare, etc. etc.

Last edited by Nefertitii; 04-11-2015 at 11:58 AM.. Reason: damn typos
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada