Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2015, 08:17 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,315,210 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post

And BTW the news article may not tell the entire story. It's highly likely that the people who were "kicked out" were expelled because they were being a55es and even getting aggressive because certain staff could not speak to them in English.
Pure speculation AJ

I read the story and it seemed like it was the hospital staff that was acting like asses merely because the patients boyfriend suggested it would go better if his girlfriend could get service in English.
Where are you seeing the patients acting like asses in this excerpt ?

Quote:
The patient claims that a nurse set up to take a blood sample and asked her, in French, to place her right arm on the table. The woman, who does not speak French, placed her left arm on the table. Her boyfriend, Jabari Radway, who does speak and understand French, then told the nurse that the process would go better if they could get service for the woman in English. CTV reports that the nurse then responded saying, “No. This will be in French or she can leave the province.” The nurse went even further, going on to insult the patient saying that it was unbelievable that she doesn’t know the difference between her left and her right.
Jabari told CJAD 800 News, "He basically just said to me, 'This is Quebec and how stupid can she f***ing be, because he was asking her to put her hand on the desk to draw some blood…Then he told us, 'This is Quebec. If we're not happy, get the f*** out of the hospital.' And he picked up the vials that he was supposed to take to draw her blood with and shot everything in the garbage."
Heres a similar story=
http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/quebec-...lish-1.1007880

Last edited by jambo101; 04-02-2015 at 08:38 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2015, 07:00 AM

156 posts, read 200,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Pure speculation AJ

I read the story and it seemed like it was the hospital staff that was acting like asses merely because the patients boyfriend suggested it would go better if his girlfriend could get service in English.

Heres a similar story=
Parents say paramedic refused to speak English | CTV News
Ya it's funny that the francophone staff is assumed to automatically be the victims. It is too bad that there is a self perpetuated stigma of franco=victim and anglo=winner. I would love nothing more than to see the Quebecois empower themselves and realize all of their potential. Playing the 1969 style game of pointing out the tresspasses of their anglo masters gets them nowhere. It would be great to see the Quebecois stop underestimating their own abilities. I have full confidence that if they can conquer their colonial mentality then they will soar to great heights.

Old 04-03-2015, 08:10 AM

15,102 posts, read 15,883,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by babyblue1987 View Post
Ya it's funny that the francophone staff is assumed to automatically be the victims. It is too bad that there is a self perpetuated stigma of franco=victim and anglo=winner. I would love nothing more than to see the Quebecois empower themselves and realize all of their potential. Playing the 1969 style game of pointing out the tresspasses of their anglo masters gets them nowhere. It would be great to see the Quebecois stop underestimating their own abilities. I have full confidence that if they can conquer their colonial mentality then they will soar to great heights.
Do you really believe this crap lol - like seriously? Conquer their colonial mentality like reaaallly.. Its almost laughable to think that Quebecers as a whole have such a 'mentality'

Canadians according to you:

Quebecers have a Colonial (slave) mentality
Anglo Canadians have conquerer (master) mentality

BUT

an inferiority complex re the U.S..

In a neat and tidy nutshell?

Last edited by fusion2; 04-03-2015 at 08:20 AM..

Old 04-03-2015, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Do you really believe this crap lol - like seriously? Conquer their colonial mentality like reaaallly.. Its almost laughable to think that Quebecers as a whole have such a 'mentality'
Says the guy who believes coast-to-coast forced bilingualism in high school is a good idea.

Old 04-03-2015, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by babyblue1987 View Post
Says the guy who believes coast-to-coast forced bilingualism in high school is a good idea.
Its a damned great idea...There's 'forced' other stuff isn't there... Sure the heck beats learning about HALF the stuff learned in the B.S I mean P.S system.. In the very least the student is equipped with two language skills - much better in real life.. Actually our PS system should do more to equip the young with real life skills anyway imo..

I edited my last post feel free to press a or r... Take it and go as they say lol.

Old 04-03-2015, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Anglo Canadians have conquerer (master) mentality
This is not true at all. We don't have a master mentality.

Last edited by babyblue1987; 04-03-2015 at 08:32 AM..

Old 04-03-2015, 08:26 AM

^^^^^

Huh? you missed the part where I wrote - Canadians according to YOU - it was framed in an observatory manner re your thoughts but also asking you to elaborate if that is an incorrect observation... Context matters

Old 04-03-2015, 08:34 AM

Quote:
^^^^^

Huh? you missed the part where I wrote - Canadians according to YOU - it was framed in an observatory manner re your thoughts but also asking you to elaborate if that is an incorrect observation... Context matters
I never said that I believe we have a master mentality. That is what you said.

Old 04-07-2015, 06:58 AM

542 posts, read 503,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Pure speculation AJ

Heres a similar story=
Parents say paramedic refused to speak English | CTV News
The hospital staff was likely receiving poor treatment from the patient. All we have is the story of her and her boyfriend to go on. They have no obligation to serve a rude patient, and the story has not been corroborated by the staff.

Quote:
Its a damned great idea...There's 'forced' other stuff isn't there... Sure the heck beats learning about HALF the stuff learned in the B.S I mean P.S system.. In the very least the student is equipped with two language skills - much better in real life.. Actually our PS system should do more to equip the young with real life skills anyway imo..

I edited my last post feel free to press a or r... Take it and go as they say lol.
Fusion2, I think that your idea for cross Canada requirements of competency in French for high school graduation is not such a bad idea. At least you are trying to make the situation work and bridge the gaps. I would support requiring French for high school graduation outside of Quebec. Ottawa especially should be bilingual, considering it is the country's capital.

Old 04-07-2015, 08:29 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,040,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBeauchamp View Post

Fusion2, I think that your idea for cross Canada requirements of competency in French for high school graduation is not such a bad idea. At least you are trying to make the situation work and bridge the gaps. I would support requiring French for high school graduation outside of Quebec. Ottawa especially should be bilingual, considering it is the country's capital.
I think fusion thinks I am dead-set against this idea, but I should clarify.

It's definitely a good idea, but extremely difficult if not impossible to put in place given the way we are set up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada