Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2015, 12:15 PM

10,839 posts, read 14,716,100 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
That's a lot of info, but I did glean this

"While immigrant groups of European origin have had more difficulty preserving their language over time, more recent immigrant groups, such as those who speak Spanish, Chinese or Punjabi, are generally more likely to maintain theirs.3"

"The intensity of immigrant-language transmission is generally on the rise"

There is a lot of fluctuation it seems depending on language group and other sub categories.

It's not so obvious as you are making it sound.

Also the importance of Chinese now for business is huge. There are many schools here that teach Mandarin and Cantonese.

https://cstudies.ubc.ca/study-topic/chinese
Regarding Chinese, many second generation kids may appear to be able to speak Chinese fluently, but less than 5% of them, I can guarantee, can really read and write. They would be completely illiterate if in China. The third generation, probably close to 0%.

I don't think someone who can neither read nor write qualify as having preserved their own languages.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2015, 01:00 PM

26,874 posts, read 37,997,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
Regarding Chinese, many second generation kids may appear to be able to speak Chinese fluently, but less than 5% of them, I can guarantee, can really read and write. They would be completely illiterate if in China. The third generation, probably close to 0%.

I don't think someone who can neither read nor write qualify as having preserved their own languages.
It's actually even really hard to maintain good writing skills among francophones outside Quebec in French, and it's the same bloody alphabet as English and most of these kids go to school in French from JK-12.

I can imagine how difficult it is for Chinese with a different writing system and no public schools in that language.

Old 08-10-2015, 02:10 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,282,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
It's actually even really hard to maintain good writing skills among francophones outside Quebec in French, and it's the same bloody alphabet as English and most of these kids go to school in French from JK-12.

I can imagine how difficult it is for Chinese with a different writing system and no public schools in that language.
I know in Calgary they have Mandarin bilingual schools along with Spanish bilingual and French immersion.

That being said, most Chinese kids that I grew up with went to "Chinese" school on the weekends to learn what at the time was mostly Cantonese, not unlike the kids that go to Jewish School on the weekend to keep up to date on their Hebrew.

Old 08-10-2015, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
I know in Calgary they have Mandarin bilingual schools along with Spanish bilingual and French immersion.

That being said, most Chinese kids that I grew up with went to "Chinese" school on the weekends to learn what at the time was mostly Cantonese, not unlike the kids that go to Jewish School on the weekend to keep up to date on their Hebrew.
A goodly number of my kids go to or went to Lebanese school or Arabic school on Saturdays. From what I heard many of them hated it or resented it as it prevented them from doing activities like dancing or gymnastic or seeing their friends.

I am not sure of the results of this. All of these kids can certainly speak Arabic today as they enter their teens, but most I have talked to can only read a bit and I don't think any of them can write.

I suspect they have pretty good oral fluency but reading and writing is a different story.

I also have good friends who have three kids who speak a central European language at home. They go back to the old country every couple of years and the kids have told me that when they're there the kids their age tell them they speak like old people spoke during the Communist era.

With some exceptions, even francophone kids from outside Quebec who go to school in French don't really speak, read and write with the same level of fluency as kids in Quebec. And I am not just talking St-Hyacinthe vs. Calgary. I am talking Ottawa vs. Gatineau as well (for the average kid).

Old 08-10-2015, 03:21 PM

Quote:

With some exceptions, even francophone kids from outside Quebec who go to school in French don't really speak, read and write with the same level of fluency as kids in Quebec. And I am not just talking St-Hyacinthe vs. Calgary. I am talking Ottawa vs. Gatineau as well (for the average kid).
Of course. All languages stagnate without usage. There is just close to zero French used outside of some civil service jobs.

Old 08-10-2015, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
Of course. All languages stagnate without usage. There is just close to zero French used outside of some civil service jobs.
Well, French in Ottawa is definitely present and heard every day by most people I would suppose, even if it's not the main language of the city. Yet it still seems to lapse among a fair number of its native speakers there as it's apparently less "fertile" territory for it...

Old 08-10-2015, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Well, French in Ottawa is definitely present and heard every day by most people I would suppose, even if it's not the main language of the city. Yet it still seems to lapse among a fair number of its native speakers there as it's apparently less "fertile" territory for it...
I'm agreeing to your point. If it's decreasing where there's ample opportunity, really what hope do you have when it's probably the #3 or 4 language in a region.

Old 08-13-2015, 02:52 PM

542 posts, read 502,821 times
Quote:
Which is why Ottawa needs bilingual status.

Old 08-13-2015, 03:03 PM

909 posts, read 1,152,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBeauchamp View Post
Which is why Ottawa needs bilingual status.
Ottawa is the most bilingual city in Canada already. French and English signs everywhere. It wouldn't hurt to make it officially bilingual.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada