Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2015, 04:29 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,883,952 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Jeeez louise fusion, don't take away the drama......whining narcissists can't exist without it. They're addicted to gazing at the convex side of the personal shaving mirror, the one that makes them look larger than life.
I think its time to take that mirror and throw it out the damned window
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2015, 07:55 AM

183 posts, read 218,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
I'm not patronizing you - as I see it what I said makes perfectly good sense... Should I start involving you in drama about what Quebec needs to give Ontario for us to start our own nation.. Think about how ridiculous you sound.. If Quebec wants to become a nation than Quebecers need to step up to the plate with a clear majority and make that decision.. If Ontario wants to separate from the R.O.C than the onus would be for us to do the same.. It shouldn't be for Quebec or Alberta or PEI to try to figure it out for us and give us what we need - we need to figure that crap out!
I don't believe what I am seeing! Are you advocating Quebec indepandance?

Old 03-16-2015, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViveLeQuebecLibre View Post
I don't believe what I am seeing! Are you advocating Quebec indepandance?
When I spoke about throwing a mirror out the window it isn't advocating for anything other than what distracts us away from what is important. As for my personal feelings about Quebec independence it really isn't a matter for me to decide the future of Quebec.. After reading through many posts in here though, it is hard not to get disenfranchised with the situation. I don't see one person from Quebec passionate about Canada - not one! I see more passion from English Canadians about Quebec than vice versa but I also see this passion is dying and caring about Quebec being a part of Canada is also dying. I'm more open to the idea than in the past that is for sure because after trying to be passionate about unity I see that there is nothing but cold responses to that.. My main concern isn't so much about Quebec staying in Canada anymore, as much as it is the disconnect between Eastern Canada and West (Ontario would be west in a post Quebec split) and there would be no land connection with the Maritime Provinces.. This doesn't sit well with me as the Maritime Provinces didn't ask for the situation. As for Quebec itself, I think if it does decide to vote for independence (something increasingly that would be encouraged by the R.O.C) than it and Canada should make it as clean a split as possible and I think it will be a looooooong time before the relationship between those two countries would be amicable. There would be prevalent and deep emotions largely of the negative persuasion. Business would be done and essential trade connections in place but I think that is about it.

Last edited by fusion2; 03-16-2015 at 05:04 PM..

Old 03-16-2015, 05:39 PM

565 posts, read 672,441 times
Quote:
My main concern isn't so much about Quebec staying in Canada anymore, as much as it is the disconnect between Eastern Canada and West (Ontario would be west in a post Quebec split) and there would be no land connection with the Maritime Provinces.. This doesn't sit well with me as the Maritime Provinces didn't ask for the situation.
This point is often raised in the ROC, but a Schengen-type of arrangement (open borders) would solve this (non) issue.

I don't think that even the most radical PQ supporters have ever wanted to put fences and border controls around Quebec... That isn't the point of the independence project.

Last edited by begratto; 03-16-2015 at 05:48 PM..

Old 03-16-2015, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by begratto View Post
This point is often raised in the ROC, but a Schengen-type of arrangement (open borders) would solve this (non) issue.

I don't think that even the most radical PQ supporters have ever wanted to put fences and border controls around Quebec... That isn't the point of the independence project.
You may just see those fences and border controls put up on the other side of Quebec.. Remember, Quebec would be a nation that has just voted to separate from Canada. I don't think the R.O.C would want a Schengen-type of arrangement.. I could see that happening in the future but not immediately after separation.

Old 03-16-2015, 08:08 PM

74 posts, read 73,704 times
Quote:
You may just see those fences and border controls put up on the other side of Quebec.. Remember, Quebec would be a nation that has just voted to separate from Canada. I don't think the R.O.C would want a Schengen-type of arrangement.. I could see that happening in the future but not immediately after separation.
So a Canada of 26 million would purposely reject easy land access to 10% of it's population just to prove a childish political point to a harmless and cooperative neighbor? No one with any economic interest would support this, and neither would any politician who wants a pipe dream of holding on to the Atlantic provinces.

Old 03-16-2015, 08:17 PM

26,883 posts, read 38,040,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbubbles81 View Post
So a Canada of 26 million would purposely reject easy land access to 10% of it's population just to prove a childish political point to a harmless and cooperative neighbor? No one with any economic interest would support this, and neither would any politician who wants a pipe dream of holding on to the Atlantic provinces.
Goode pointe. And the only reason the Canada-US border is so complicated is because the US is the world's only superpower, preoccupied and even a bit paranoid about a million things including terrorism, protecting its territory and even being a kind of ''Fortress America". Neither an indendent Quebec nor Canada-sans-Quebec would be in this situation.

If the current Canada bordered Australia or even Japan its border would be way less complicated.

Old 03-17-2015, 04:45 AM

261 posts, read 275,875 times
Quote:
I see more passion from English Canadians about Quebec than vice versa
Yeah, I'm sure anger is a passionate emotion!

Really, I can count at least six or seven francophones from Quebec posting about Canada on this English-language board, so I don't see how you can say there's no "passion" or at least interest there. And in which way are English Canadians "passionate" about Quebec? Ask yourself: are they passionate about Quebec itself, or about what they perceive Quebec's presence in their country to mean about themselves?

Old 03-17-2015, 04:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Migratory Chicken View Post

Really, I can count at least six or seven francophones from Quebec posting about Canada on this English-language board, so I don't see how you can say there's no "passion" or at least interest there. And in which way are English Canadians "passionate" about Quebec? Ask yourself: are they passionate about Quebec itself, or about what they perceive Quebec's presence in their country to mean about themselves?
Ha perhaps - its hard to guage emotions on C/D or across regions of course that is for sure but I do think you have a larger segment in English Canada that have concerns about Quebecers because they see them as fellow Canadians whereby in Quebec the feeling is not necessarily the same.. I didn't say it was rooted in reality on the ground in Quebec. The part in red is particularly true and it isn't surprising is it?

Do you not think there would be feelings of anger across the R.O.C after Quebec votes for separation? I think that would be a fair assessment that it would be quite peeved actually lol... I'm also curious what the emotions of Quebecers will be once the real work of running a real country with real national responsibilites will look like.. Somehow I think the R.O.C will be in a better position once the emotions of the matter dissipate but sure, its not going to be widespread euphoria once/if it happens - it might become akin to a drinking binge the night before followed by a long hangover.

Last edited by fusion2; 03-17-2015 at 05:02 AM..

Old 03-17-2015, 06:07 AM

74 posts, read 73,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Migratory Chicken View Post

Ask yourself: are they passionate about Quebec itself, or about what they perceive Quebec's presence in their country to mean about themselves?
Something tells me it is the second one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada