Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2015, 10:13 AM

1,987 posts, read 2,113,220 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
You're right to have your opinion. But you also have the right to be told you're wrong/misinformed/outdated etc.

Sort of like free speech. Free speech does not mean consequence free speech. If you say dumb things, expect to get called out on it.
That's fair, but you have no right to resort to name-calling (accusing other posters of "trolling" because they disagree with you about emotionally charged Canadian subjects). I have opinions and I express myself about them (in English and French).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2015, 12:07 PM

242 posts, read 242,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masonbauknight View Post
Canadian aboriginals have every reason to remind us of their harsh treatment since the 16th century. But again, Canada realized its errors and atrocities far earlier than most other countries did, and it is making a serious effort to repair the "sins of their fathers". That is to be acknowledged, and certainly compared very soberly with the record in the US, Australia, Brazil, Peru, Mexico, Guatemala, Honduras, and China, among others.
Are you being serious?

Old 03-04-2015, 12:09 PM

26,883 posts, read 38,059,497 times
Quote:
I have a special interest in Quebec, have visited there, and I speak and write fluent French. I love Quebec (though I prefer other cities there to Montreal) and have strong opinions about it. Americans do have a right to their opinion about other countries, do they not? And when I studied in France, French folks would come up and debate me about every aspect of American society (sometimes they were actually right).
Fair enough.

I do think however that the reality of allophones in Montreal and Quebec has changed and will continue to change rapidly.

The days where they can all be lumped in with the anglophone minority on political issues are basically over. It's a more complex reality now.

Old 03-04-2015, 03:09 PM

183 posts, read 218,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Fair enough.

I do think however that the reality of allophones in Montreal and Quebec has changed and will continue to change rapidly.

The days where they can all be lumped in with the anglophone minority on political issues are basically over. It's a more complex reality now.
A lot of staunch Canadian type of allophone just leave Quebec. The ones who stay are more likely to be willing to be Québecois. The only reason for a new comer to choose Montréal or Québec over Toronto/Calgary is for culture, because the economic opportunity are obviously not better. I know there are people like Latin Americans who feel more at home in Québec than Toronto due to the Romance influence compared with the Anglo-saxon/Germanic style culture in anglo Canada.

Old 03-04-2015, 03:57 PM

1,987 posts, read 2,113,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViveLeQuebecLibre View Post
. I know there are people like Latin Americans who feel more at home in Québec than Toronto due to the Romance influence compared with the Anglo-saxon/Germanic style culture in anglo Canada.
Latin American, French and other "Latin" immigrants would probably agree with that, although I wouldn't put Montreal in that category. It's always seemed a very American-style large city to me (the reason I've never thought of living there--there are about 10 US cities I prefer more). Quebec City and Trois-Rivières are Latin/Romance, but they're pretty small and isolated for many a new immigrant. It's just as the late Anne Hébert always said when asked why she chose to live in Paris for 32 years: "Quebec City is too small; Montreal is too American." Montreal strikes me as even more American in the 21st century.

Old 03-04-2015, 04:01 PM

2,829 posts, read 3,176,703 times
Quote:
Latin American, French and other "Latin" immigrants would probably agree with that, although I wouldn't put Montreal in that category. It's always seemed a very American-style large city (the reason I've never thought of living there--there are many US cities I prefer more). Quebec City and Trois-Rivières are more Latin/Romance, but they're pretty small. It's just as the late Anne Hébert always said when asked why she chose to live in Paris for 32 years: "Quebec City is too small; Montreal is too American." Montreal strikes me as even more American in the 21st century.
Can the ROC keep Montreal then when you finally vote to separate? You can keep Quebec City and other towns but we wouldn't mind Montreal being too American at all, and considering the extent of Americanization in Toronto

Old 03-04-2015, 11:33 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,336,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonkid123 View Post
Can the ROC keep Montreal then when you finally vote to separate? You can keep Quebec City and other towns but we wouldn't mind Montreal being too American at all, and considering the extent of Americanization in Toronto
Like a Canadian Monaco .?

Old 03-05-2015, 07:16 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,059,497 times
Quote:
Latin American, French and other "Latin" immigrants would probably agree with that, although I wouldn't put Montreal in that category. It's always seemed a very American-style large city to me (the reason I've never thought of living there--there are about 10 US cities I prefer more). Quebec City and Trois-Rivières are Latin/Romance, but they're pretty small and isolated for many a new immigrant. It's just as the late Anne Hébert always said when asked why she chose to live in Paris for 32 years: "Quebec City is too small; Montreal is too American." Montreal strikes me as even more American in the 21st century.
As much as I hate to get into another discussion over Montreal being European vs. American, I don't get which American city (or cities) Montreal resembles? The closest I can find is Boston but otherwise, if there is a definitive look and feel to an American city that many of them have in common, Montreal isn't like that at all IMO.

Sure, Montreal isn't like Paris (to which it is often compared for some reason) either as it did not undergo the Hausmannian urban renovation that gives Paris its singular look. (Also shared by other French cities but not all of them.)

As for Montreal looking European, once again - what does a European city look like? Oslo? Helsinki? Naples? Athens?

Old 03-05-2015, 07:27 AM

15,102 posts, read 15,893,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post

As for Montreal looking European, once again - what does a European city look like? Oslo? Helsinki? Naples? Athens?
Totally agreed.. Its like saying Barcelona and Lisboa are similar because they are in the Iberian Peninsula when the fact is the differences are HUGE from architecture to food to culture - just completely different..

Old 03-05-2015, 12:28 PM

2,829 posts, read 3,176,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Like a Canadian Monaco .?
Don't flatter yourself... More like a Canadian Boston
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada