Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2015, 07:38 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,059,497 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Migratory Chicken View Post
I thought of this, but yes, back when francophones referred to themselves as "Canadiens", this word did not include anglophones in their mind. And in any case anglophones did not yet typically identify as Canadian.
It's not that far back even. Gilles Duceppe once told a story about how in the 1960s, there was a big hockey rivalry between the Université de Montréal and McGill. In the stands, the U de M students would sing O Canada, and the McGill students would sing God Save the Queen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2015, 08:38 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,298,702 times
You know, maybe it's just because I'm getting old, or I've spent enough years away from Canada that it's given perspective.

Quebec feels that they are distinct, endangered and valuable. The ROC feels that they should be equal and there should be nothing special about how Quebec is treated compared to other provinces.

Thing of it is, Quebec IS a unique and special place, in a very Canadian way. So many things that make Canada Canada, or our national identity of "not the US" can be attributed to our need to find common ground between two unique societies that set squabbles aside to form the nation in the first place.

We are a nation of co-operation, not conquest, and realistically for me I can't see how everyone shouldn't be encouraging Quebec to be themselves as much as possible, and encouraging the same in other provinces, but under the big national tent. Ottawa should be a coming together. Provincial Parliament/Legislature is where you should have your regional petty gripes.

I think a generation after Meech and the Constitution we should get everyone on the same page. What Quebec REALLY wants doesn't cost anything. You can keep buying everyone off for another generation or you can solve the underlying cause. I know Canadians don't like tall poppies, but we should encourage people to show the kind of pride in their home that Quebecers have for theirs.

Old 01-27-2015, 09:01 AM

It's always a comfort to have reasonable voices on here. You know who you are.

Old 01-27-2015, 11:19 AM

428 posts, read 451,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
You know, maybe it's just because I'm getting old, or I've spent enough years away from Canada that it's given perspective.

Quebec feels that they are distinct, endangered and valuable. The ROC feels that they should be equal and there should be nothing special about how Quebec is treated compared to other provinces.

Thing of it is, Quebec IS a unique and special place, in a very Canadian way. So many things that make Canada Canada, or our national identity of "not the US" can be attributed to our need to find common ground between two unique societies that set squabbles aside to form the nation in the first place.

We are a nation of co-operation, not conquest, and realistically for me I can't see how everyone shouldn't be encouraging Quebec to be themselves as much as possible, and encouraging the same in other provinces, but under the big national tent. Ottawa should be a coming together. Provincial Parliament/Legislature is where you should have your regional petty gripes.

I think a generation after Meech and the Constitution we should get everyone on the same page. What Quebec REALLY wants doesn't cost anything. You can keep buying everyone off for another generation or you can solve the underlying cause. I know Canadians don't like tall poppies, but we should encourage people to show the kind of pride in their home that Quebecers have for theirs.
That's all well and fine... But Quebec + Canada isn't working. I live in western Canada now and 100% understand how it is easy to not worry about Quebec here. It is like a different world, and we rely on the media to get an idea of what's going on in Quebec (this can be dangerous for it's own reasons, another discussion though). In Quebec it is obvious that it isn't working.

The government and economy is FUBAR. Look at our newest premier, he is proving to be a buffoon and no, our economy won't be fixed. There is no prospect of that any time soon. Until huge changes are made, Quebec will continue to be a big mess. This is important to Canada because Quebec is holding down Canada with it. Many will say "I have no problem helping Quebec", but here'es the thing...Quebec won't reciprocate. The hard to accept truth is that the second Quebec becomes a "have" province it will declare independence. So if Quebec finds the worlds largest oil reserves in Sept-Iles, they are going to be gone, I can assure you. It is easy to live outside of Quebec and believe this may not be the case, but it is.

There aren't even any politicians in Canada that express a love for Canada like they do in other provinces. Doing so would hurt his poll numbers. Seriously. Federalists are lukewarm to Canada at best. It is all about Quebec and what's best for Quebec, on a scale that ROCanadians would be shocked to see. The language barrier helps keep ROCanadians unaware of the reality.

In Quebec it is a completely different situation than it was even 10 or 15 years ago. Quebec is drifting away from Canada, and even among staunch federaliststhere is no intention of bringing it back.

Old 01-27-2015, 11:40 AM

18,504 posts, read 15,571,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
This is good info but it's not indicative of any special treatment for Quebec. It's all based on calculated formulae. If Quebec's situation changes one way or another, it will get more or less money, just like any other province.
I wasn't suggesting it was " special " treatment, but just presenting apparently actual numbers.

Old 01-27-2015, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
I wasn't suggesting it was " special " treatment, but just presenting apparently actual numbers.
Gotcha. You were responding however to someone asking for evidence of special (financial) treatment for Quebec just because it's Quebec. It could be that there isn't much out there... I dunno.

Old 01-27-2015, 09:52 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,893,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by babyblue1987 View Post
Talk about brainwashed. Why not take England and France and stick them together, and then when they still see each other as different complain about people having an us vs. them mentality. It's just a fact that you have more in common with a person in Hawaii or Florida than Quebec. The most naive Canadians are the ones who know nothing about Quebec and stay happily separated from them in every facet of life except for seeing French on packaging.
Oh lord Mister Quebec expert here

Anyway i'd rather be brainwashed than living back in 1759.... You the reincarnation of General Wolfe or since you're a so called expert in matters of Quebec Montcalm?

#exorcism

Old 01-28-2015, 06:28 AM

156 posts, read 200,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Oh lord Mister Quebec expert here

Anyway i'd rather be brainwashed than living back in 1759.... You the reincarnation of General Wolfe or since you're a so called expert in matters of Quebec Montcalm?

#exorcism
....What?

Old 01-28-2015, 05:28 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,893,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by babyblue1987 View Post
....What?
Why?

Old 01-29-2015, 11:22 AM

18,504 posts, read 15,571,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Gotcha. You were responding however to someone asking for evidence of special (financial) treatment for Quebec just because it's Quebec. It could be that there isn't much out there... I dunno.
Again, I'm no expert, but I suspect that it's more complicated than just looking at transfer payments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada