Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2015, 06:57 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,893,034 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonjour185 View Post
If anything Canada has given Québec a cold shoulder.
Some do I agree - its certainly a two way street from what I can see and its sort of a feedback loop mixed with misunderstandings... We need a little less us verse them and a little more respect and understanding. These things are hard to achieve but not impossible. Some of the 'younger' generation claim that the old fogies in here are set in their ways yet I see almost the exact opposite....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2015, 07:15 PM

26,883 posts, read 38,059,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Some do I agree - its certainly a two way street from what I can see and its sort of a feedback loop mixed with misunderstandings... We need a little less us verse them and a little more respect and understanding. These things are hard to achieve but not impossible. Some of the 'younger' generation claim that the old fogies in here are set in their ways yet I see almost the exact opposite....
I like you fusion.

Old 01-26-2015, 07:25 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,893,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I like you fusion.
The feeling is very much mutual..

Old 01-26-2015, 07:26 PM

Quote:
The feeling is very much mutual..
You go out of your way to try and try and see the other guy's perspective. On this issue in particular, that's quite rare.

Old 01-26-2015, 07:34 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,571,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by begratto View Post
And how exactly has Quebec "milked Canada for all it's worth"? Quebec receives less transfer payments per capita than many other provinces. And I don't see any example of Quebec receiving more than the others for any program. We often read this kind of uninformed statements, but it's never backed up by any substiantial facts...
Here's the numbers. I'm bad at numbers, but it can someone clarify the information in this link.

On the surface it looks like Quebec is 6th in reliance of transfer payments with 27 percent of it's revenue's being these payments?? Compared to B.C. at 13 percent.

Federal Support to Provinces and Territories

Old 01-26-2015, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Here's the numbers. I'm bad at numbers, but it can someone clarify the information in this link.

On the surface it looks like Quebec is 6th in reliance of transfer payments with 27 percent of it's revenue's being these payments?? Compared to B.C. at 13 percent.

Federal Support to Provinces and Territories
This is good info but it's not indicative of any special treatment for Quebec. It's all based on calculated formulae. If Quebec's situation changes one way or another, it will get more or less money, just like any other province.

Old 01-27-2015, 07:08 AM

261 posts, read 275,992 times
Now of course this is something Ignatieff said a long time ago, and while he may be right or he may be wrong, it's not especially relevant. But there is something I'd like to ask.

Quote:
Originally Posted by limelightkid View Post
The emotional bonds that once existed between French and English Canada are all but gone.
I don't know if that's something Ignatieff actually did, or if it's the OP's interpretation, but I do wonder: are the emotional bonds between French and English Canada really in any way different now than they ever were? Personally I don't think they've changed much, but I'd like to see what people think.

Old 01-27-2015, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Migratory Chicken View Post
Now of course this is something Ignatieff said a long time ago, and while he may be right or he may be wrong, it's not especially relevant. But there is something I'd like to ask.

I don't know if that's something Ignatieff actually did, or if it's the OP's interpretation, but I do wonder: are the emotional bonds between French and English Canada really in any way different now than they ever were? Personally I don't think they've changed much, but I'd like to see what people think.
That's a very good question. On the one hand it might just be Iggy being nostalgic and only remembering the good (or better) stuff about the past.

Certainly there is less anti-Canadian sentiment in Quebec than there was 10-20-30 years ago. Few people in Quebec recoil at the word "Canada", something which was an observable phenomenon in some circles when I was a kid.

This does not mean that they have more or less ties with the ROC though. It's not really related.

It is true that when it comes to personal identity the vast majority of people in Quebec have moved from Canadien, to Canadien français to Québécois. Though Québécois does not always exclude feeling Canadien too, for most people being Québécois is number one.

Again, this is not necessarily a loosening of ties. In the old days when people in Quebec considered themselves to be "Canadien", they didn't necessarily have the same "Canada" or "Canadiens" in mind than people in Listowel or Red Deer did.

It might all be a question of plus ça change, plus c'est pareil.

Old 01-27-2015, 07:23 AM

156 posts, read 200,522 times
Quote:
Talk about brainwashed. Why not take England and France and stick them together, and then when they still see each other as different complain about people having an us vs. them mentality. It's just a fact that you have more in common with a person in Hawaii or Florida than Quebec. The most naive Canadians are the ones who know nothing about Quebec and stay happily separated from them in every facet of life except for seeing French on packaging.

Old 01-27-2015, 07:29 AM

261 posts, read 275,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
It is true that when it comes to personal identity the vast majority of people in Quebec have moved from Canadien, to Canadien français to Québécois. Though Québécois does not always exclude feeling Canadien too, for most people being Québécois is number one.

Again, this is not necessarily a loosening of ties. In the old days when people in Quebec considered themselves to be "Canadien", they didn't necessarily have the same "Canada" or "Canadiens" in mind than people in Listowel or Red Deer did.
I thought of this, but yes, back when francophones referred to themselves as "Canadiens", this word did not include anglophones in their mind. And in any case anglophones did not yet typically identify as Canadian.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada