Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2015, 11:20 PM

71 posts, read 104,039 times

Advertisements

Violation of the Constitution as mentioned above. However, you can bypass that and still refuse the customer on some other basis (aka. a BS reason).

Personally, I believe that a business owner should have the right to refuse service, not a big deal though given the above method which often works.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2015, 11:26 PM

6 posts, read 6,658 times
I think openly gay people need to take it down a notch sometimes if they don't want problems. If I were gay I would not be overt about it out in the presence of very religiously conservative people.

Besides being "gay" is a choice anyway.

Old 04-07-2015, 12:08 AM

3,630 posts, read 3,420,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Thanks for clarifying. That's why we love you Chevy, you add a lot to these forums. ( even if you don't like CBC Radio ) LOL
Nice to know that somebody loves me. Thanks, Nat, Bru, and Bimbam!

Old 04-07-2015, 12:52 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,070,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix25 View Post
I think openly gay people need to take it down a notch sometimes if they don't want problems. If I were gay I would not be overt about it out in the presence of very religiously conservative people.
You know what, in all the months that you and your socks have been spoofing this board this is the first time you've ever said something that I actually agree with.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Why does anyone need to identify what kind of wedding they're having when ordering a wedding cake (or pizza)? What business is it of the baker to know the personal particulars of the wedding couple or their guests?

Would someone order a cake saying they want a cake for their racially mixed wedding? Would they say they want the cake for their daughter's shotgun wedding? How about a cake for their Christian/Satanist wedding? Why would any baker want to know that? So why would anyone say they would want a wedding cake and specify it by what their sexual orientation is?

Granted, I think the cake baker should not care about the customer's personal preferences in a marriage partner or their sexual orientations or religions or race, their job is to create a cake (or a pizza) and that is all. Why would customers think the baker should care?

Why would the gay customers think it should be any of the baker's business to know what their sexual orientation is? Is there some kind of special decoration that goes on a wedding cake for gay people so that it can be identified as a gay cake for gay people having a gay wedding? And what the heck is a gay wedding anyway?

Old 04-07-2015, 01:19 AM

3,630 posts, read 3,420,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix25 View Post
Thing is, though, in Canada, you rarely know who is "religiously conservative." Unlike many Americans, Canadians don't tend to talk religion; thus, they don't know who is "religiously conservative" or not.

Oh, after a while, you get to know. A colleague of mine is Mormon, which means that coffee breaks with him are spent with me having coffee while he has juice, but we can still talk about current sports. A friend is Roman Catholic, which meant that this past weekend put a cramp in our typical weekend "let's drink lots of beer on the weekend and raise hell" plans, as he had to be at church so much. But when I got to know these guys, neither came up to me and said, "I'm Mormon/Roman Catholic, so our friendship will have to make room for that," as I understand happens with some Americans.

For the most part, Canadians tend to believe that one's religion (or lack of it) is one's own choice. It is not a topic to be discussed, asked about, or displayed.

Old 04-07-2015, 02:07 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,070,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Thanks for clarifying. That's why we love you Chevy, you add a lot to these forums. ( even if you don't like CBC Radio ) LOL
Seconded.

Old 04-07-2015, 02:57 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,580,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
You know what, in all the months that you and your socks have been spoofing this board this is the first time you've ever said something that I actually agree with.

Why does anyone need to identify what kind of wedding they're having when ordering a wedding cake (or pizza)? What business is it of the baker to know the personal particulars of the wedding couple or their guests?

Would someone order a cake saying they want a cake for their racially mixed wedding? Would they say they want the cake for their daughter's shotgun wedding? How about a cake for their Christian/Satanist wedding? Why would any baker want to know that? So why would anyone say they would want a wedding cake and specify it by what their sexual orientation is?

Granted, I think the cake baker should not care about the customer's personal preferences in a marriage partner or their sexual orientations or religions or race, their job is to create a cake (or a pizza) and that is all. Why would customers think the baker should care?

Why would the gay customers think it should be any of the baker's business to know what their sexual orientation is? Is there some kind of special decoration that goes on a wedding cake for gay people so that it can be identified as a gay cake for gay people having a gay wedding? And what the heck is a gay wedding anyway?

Got to disagree with you on this one Zoiste.

It's very easy for a baker of a wedding cake to know who's wedding it is. One way, by two grooms or two brides on the top a cake.
The other, and probably the most common would be something like this.

Customer : Hi, I'd like to order a wedding cake.
Baker: Congratulations, who's the lucky women.
Customer: It's not a women.

The other way, which happened to a lesbian couple when trying to order flowers for their wedding, was they were customers of the flower shop. The owner had no trouble selling them flowers for everyday use, and knew they were a couple. However once they wanted them for their wedding, they were refused.

How humiliating and angry they must of felt.

Gay people get accused of " flaunting it " by doing the very same thing straight people do. Why is it OK for a straight women to order her wedding cake and casually mention that she is excited and found the greatest guy. If a gay guy or women did this, they are now" flaunting it"?

Last edited by Natnasci; 04-07-2015 at 03:13 PM..

Old 04-07-2015, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post
Thing is, though, in Canada, you rarely know who is "religiously conservative." Unlike many Americans, Canadians don't tend to talk religion; thus, they don't know who is "religiously conservative" or not.

Oh, after a while, you get to know. A colleague of mine is Mormon, which means that coffee breaks with him are spent with me having coffee while he has juice, but we can still talk about current sports. A friend is Roman Catholic, which meant that this past weekend put a cramp in our typical weekend "let's drink lots of beer on the weekend and raise hell" plans, as he had to be at church so much. But when I got to know these guys, neither came up to me and said, "I'm Mormon/Roman Catholic, so our friendship will have to make room for that," as I understand happens with some Americans.

For the most part, Canadians tend to believe that one's religion (or lack of it) is one's own choice. It is not a topic to be discussed, asked about, or displayed.
I was at a get together recently with some old friends. It was one of the rarest times that religion was even discussed and only because one of men there was a minister.
It was a good conversation, but felt very odd. You could see people choosing their words carefully as to not offend anyone. It was kind of new territory.

Old 04-07-2015, 03:23 PM

909 posts, read 1,154,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
It seems like this would be a violation of Canada's Charter of Rights and Freedoms.
It would be a violation of the Human Rights legislation under prohibitive grounds. It is illegal to refuse service to someone because they are in a protected group.

Old 04-09-2015, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post

This part of the post has been brewing in the back of my head the last few days.

First. Customers DON'T think it's the bakers business. In all the cases like this, it's been the baker or whomever that is making it their business to know. The customers are just being themselves.

Yes, wedding cakes sometimes DO have special decorations that identify whose wedding it is.

Gay people haven't coined the term " gay wedding ". Media and straight people have. Gay people refer to their weddings, as weddings.

I suggest people who think gay people should keep their heads down, try living your life without giving any hints of what your sexuality is.
Take down those photos at work. Don't talk about what you did on the weekend. NEVER answer honestly when asked about a partner etc.

See how long it lasts before you just get fed up with the whole thing...or you are " outed ".

This is not trying to be mean to you Zoiste, but I think your understanding in this area is lacking.

Rant over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada