Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2015, 11:23 AM

1,385 posts, read 1,528,451 times

Advertisements

What do you mean "was"? There are many ways in which someone can still be refused service in many a place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I am not sure I'd word it in the way you did, but I'd say there certainly was a time weren't it wasn't illegal to refuse to serve certain people.

Last edited by Ken S.; 04-15-2015 at 11:42 AM.. Reason: to add "still"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2015, 11:38 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,167,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken S. View Post
What do you mean "was"? There are many ways in which someone can be refused service in many a place.
Not saying the contrary.

Old 04-15-2015, 11:41 AM

1,385 posts, read 1,528,451 times
I'm not sure many Christian establishments would make such a statement in refusing to bake a cake for a "gay wedding". Many people who are buying wedding cakes were living together and fornicating out of wedlock, or entering into marriages that are completely secular and therefore no different that a gay marriage. As far as I'm concerned for a true Christian to even be in the business means they're putting themselves in a position where they're compromising their own (supposed) faith -- the wedding industry is based completely on vanity and superficial pride. I think in most cases the real grounds for refusing would be concerns about the clients requesting certain imagery that the baker would consider obscene.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post
Customer: Can you bake a wedding cake for my gay wedding on Saturday?
Baker: No. Homosexuality is an abhorrent practice, and it goes against God's word. We won't deal with gay wedding cakes.

Old 04-15-2015, 03:12 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,945,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
There's nothing to it. It's just that, if someone labels me a "gay rights activist" (according to very loose definition that emerged from the discussion between Natnasci and Zoisite), then I don't fit the usual phenotype.
Actually I don't even know what the usual 'phenotype' is for a gay rights activist anymore.. There used to be a time when it was very necessary and very apparent but in the society of today the lines are so much more blurred. Do you really think most of the gays in a pride parade in Montreal or Toronto are 'activists' anymore.. Not so much!

Old 07-24-2019, 05:13 AM

1 posts, read 453 times
Default The right

I think any business anywhere in canada should have the right to refuse anyone who does not have a right mind or could.... or may cause a disturbance in my business. And I would put up a sign to say so and to warn people of this and that is could happen.

My sign would be this:

ANYONE that enters this establishment can and will be removed if deemed dangerous, harmful physically or mentally to person working here Be repsectful and courteous at ALL times. zero tolerance.

Old 07-24-2019, 11:47 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,144,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daver50 View Post
I think any business anywhere in canada should have the right to refuse anyone who does not have a right mind or could.... or may cause a disturbance in my business. And I would put up a sign to say so and to warn people of this and that is could happen.

My sign would be this:

ANYONE that enters this establishment can and will be removed if deemed dangerous, harmful physically or mentally to person working here Be repsectful and courteous at ALL times. zero tolerance.

You would have to be a lot more discreet and practical in your wording. If you put up a sign that says what you posted above you wouldn't have ANY business at all. People would walk in the door, take one look at that threatening sign and turn around and leave immediately. They would think there is something mentally wrong with the person working there, that he is paranoid and a poor judge of character and that he may be unpredictable and pose a danger to the customers. You should rethink the way you would want to word your sign if you want to attract customers, not frighten them away.

Old 07-26-2019, 03:28 PM

252 posts, read 299,506 times
I guess we will see how this plays out, it is getting a bit ridiculous

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/tran...194820806.html

Old 07-26-2019, 04:12 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,346,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daver50 View Post

My sign would be this:

Are you able to read and judge people's minds? A business may kick out anyone acting improperly or is impaired. Not even sure what right mind means, the correct political stance, no mental illness, n9t mentally handicapped, the correct gender?

Kicking out a customer on the basis that their mind is less than normal, say a Downs syndrome person is and should be illegal unless they personally cause any problems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada