Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2015, 10:55 AM

10,060 posts, read 12,800,899 times

Advertisements

Some of you may have been keeping up with the foofaraw about a religious freedom bill in Indiana. Small-town pizzeria owners who declared they would not cater a same-sex wedding due to their religious beliefs (SSM is legal in Indiana, although the business has not been asked to cater one) was bombarded with hate e-mail.

Crowdfunding donations for Indiana pizzeria that supported RFRA capped at $842,387

What would happen in Canada? Do businesses up there have a right to refuse service?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2015, 11:11 AM

3,379 posts, read 5,533,072 times
You'd better not have the 'right' for that nonsense.

Old 04-06-2015, 11:47 AM

4,865 posts, read 10,520,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse44 View Post
You'd better not have the 'right' for that nonsense.
It's not a matter of what should be, it's a matter of what is. I'd be very interested to find out the answer to that question as regards Canada. I know that for medical professionals we can refuse services that we find morally objectionable, unless we are the only licensed provider of those services that can reasonably provide them to a client in an area or time period, and we must inform our employer of our objections before any incidents occur. But this has to do with professional codes, not national laws. I'd be curious to know how non-professional private businesses are allowed to operate. I found this op-ed, but it didn't really answer to question. Perhaps it has yet to be clarified in the jurisprudence?

Barbara Kay: The right to refuse service | National Post

Old 04-06-2015, 12:05 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,282,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
Some of you may have been keeping up with the foofaraw about a religious freedom bill in Indiana. Small-town pizzeria owners who declared they would not cater a same-sex wedding due to their religious beliefs (SSM is legal in Indiana, although the business has not been asked to cater one) was bombarded with hate e-mail.

Crowdfunding donations for Indiana pizzeria that supported RFRA capped at $842,387

What would happen in Canada? Do businesses up there have a right to refuse service?
You can refuse service to any individual you wish. You can't refuse service based on a protected class. No different than in most states. What is causing the kerfuffle in Indiana is that gays are not a protected class, and the Governor stated that it wasn't on his agenda to make it so. Therefore you could be an idiot and say No Gays and get away with it.

Old 04-06-2015, 12:46 PM

156 posts, read 200,245 times
In Quebec you can be refused service at restaurants, hospitals, and schools if you speak English. It's crazy but true.

Old 04-06-2015, 12:54 PM

565 posts, read 671,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by babyblue1987 View Post
In Quebec you can be refused service at restaurants, hospitals, and schools if you speak English. It's crazy but true.
If you believe this, you are crazy.

Old 04-06-2015, 01:08 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,536,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post

No they do not have the right to refuse gays service. A church has the right not to perform gay weddings though.

There was a case in B.C. where owners of a B&B refused to let a room to a gay couple. If you are operating a business in Canada, you must everyone that is protected from discrimination by law.

Gay couple discriminated against, B.C. tribunal rules - British Columbia - CBC News

"Under the Canadian Human Rights Act, the grounds, or the group characteristics, protected from discrimination are:

race
national or ethnic origin
colour
religion
sex (includes protection for males and females, sexual harassment, pregnancy discrimination, and transgendered discrimination)
sexual orientation (includes protection for heterosexual, bi- sexual, gay men and lesbian women)
marital status and family status (includes protection if you are married, single, widowed, divorced, separated, or living common law)
disability
conviction for an offence for which a pardon has been granted
"

Old 04-06-2015, 01:10 PM

26,873 posts, read 37,997,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by babyblue1987 View Post
You can be refused service in English, but not service in general.

If I hop in my car right now and drive 10 minutes, I can be "refused service'' (in French) about 20 times within an hour. No sweat.

Old 04-06-2015, 01:13 PM

3,379 posts, read 5,533,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
It's not a matter of what should be, it's a matter of what is. I'd be very interested to find out the answer to that question as regards Canada. I know that for medical professionals we can refuse services that we find morally objectionable, unless we are the only licensed provider of those services that can reasonably provide them to a client in an area or time period, and we must inform our employer of our objections before any incidents occur. But this has to do with professional codes, not national laws. I'd be curious to know how non-professional private businesses are allowed to operate. I found this op-ed, but it didn't really answer to question. Perhaps it has yet to be clarified in the jurisprudence?

Barbara Kay: The right to refuse service | National Post
No, sorry, but I don't give any passes on this kind of stuff. I'm sure you can refuse certain services to people for different reasons, but it is completely unacceptable to refuse service to someone based on sexuality for anything ever. I don't care what is the technical law, it doesn't matter, because if it turns out it is, it shouldn't be.

Last edited by Jesse44; 04-06-2015 at 01:56 PM..

Old 04-06-2015, 01:35 PM

26,873 posts, read 37,997,315 times
It seems like this would be a violation of Canada's Charter of Rights and Freedoms.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada