Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2016, 01:18 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,028,112 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mijki View Post

To a place where you dont have to care about ......
Yeah, yeah. But you didn't answer the question I asked you.

I asked you "escape to where", I did not ask "escape from where".

So where is this place to escape to where you don't have to care about all the things you complained about? Can you not answer that question?

Old 01-04-2016, 01:23 PM

26,876 posts, read 38,019,680 times
Quote:
Canada is not a destination for europeans anymore . We are not welcome there nowadays . Probably it is more profitable for the system, to let the parallel colored societies grow, then letting integration suitable europeans in . No quotas approving that suggestion .

If they would want europeans to come, they would allow them to come and work like for 3 or 6 months without problems by getting work permissions , like UK and others did for new EU members ...
Most Europeans are not looking to migrate in large numbers like they used to anyway. That's why the numbers for Canada may appear low by some standards.

And there are more options closer to home for people from less rich European countries.

For example, Italy is a place to used to "export" its people in large numbers to other countries. Now it is a place that wants to hold on to its people and accept (at least some) immigrants.

Many people from central, eastern and southeastern Europe who want to migrate these days simply go to western and northern Europe instead of crossing the Atlantic.

Old 01-04-2016, 01:38 PM

112 posts, read 83,667 times
Acajack yes sure
- it's just unfair to europeans , which builded canada , make them feel - they aint welcome anymore . And it is unfair to canadians and canada's economy and culture .

There would come many good european workers , skilled people , good people , from similar white christian culture if that would be allowed by canada's laws, in the future . Some kind of temporary european workers program , with an effortless applying .

ps

Zoiste , there are only 2 such a places on the whole world - bawaria ( south germany ) and galizia ( west ukraine ) ! )))

Last edited by mijki; 01-04-2016 at 01:50 PM..

Old 01-04-2016, 01:52 PM

3,452 posts, read 4,926,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
We are Canadians, not British and the 'colonizers' you are speaking of. :
I don't dispute that, but don't you find it just a little odd that when it's convenient, many Caucasian Canadians get all defensive of their "European heritage" (just read the comments on any immigration story on the CBC, NP or G&M), and when it doesn't suit their purpose, they project themselves as purely Canadian?

Personally, I find Caucasian Canadians to be culturally distinct and nothing like Europeans, and I'm tired of hearing them insist that they have something in common with modern Europeans. They don't. Places like Saskatchewan have none of the rich culture, traditions or cuisine of Germany or Ukraine. Apparently, German ethnicity is the most common in Saskatchewan but that place has nothing even remotely resembling Germany or German culture.

First, you as a community have to stop passing yourselves off as Europeans, only then can you expect the rest of the world to stop making those comparisons.

Even Montreal, the only Canadian city that has something vaguely in common with Europe, is no Paris or Berlin.

Old 01-04-2016, 02:01 PM

26,876 posts, read 38,019,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic_gardener View Post
I don't dispute that, but don't you find it just a little odd that when it's convenient, many Caucasian Canadians get all defensive of their "European heritage" (just read the comments on any immigration story on the CBC, NP or G&M), and when it doesn't suit their purpose, they project themselves as purely Canadian?

Personally, I find Caucasian Canadians to be culturally distinct and nothing like Europeans, and I'm tired of hearing them insist that they have something in common with modern Europeans. They don't. Places like Saskatchewan have none of the rich culture, traditions or cuisine of Germany or Ukraine. Apparently, German ethnicity is the most common in Saskatchewan but that place has nothing even remotely resembling Germany or German culture.

First, you as a community have to stop passing yourselves off as Europeans, only then can you expect the rest of the world to stop making those comparisons.

Even Montreal, the only Canadian city that has something vaguely in common with Europe, is no Paris or Berlin.
I get your point. It's true that most Canadians of European origin aren't Europeans dropped down on the American continent.

On the other hand, Canada is a Europe-derived society. Many of our traditions and the ways society functions are inspired by European traditions.

We don't have New Year's in late January and we don't celebrate Ramadan. At least not on a societal level we don't.

As I said, I do get your point but I wouldn't go as far as some as to say that Canada is a clean slate on which the various cultures are staking claims and making their mark.

Canada's population may be diverse, but Canadian society and its workings? Not so much.

Old 01-04-2016, 02:53 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,028,112 times
Quote:

Zoiste , there are only 2 such a places on the whole world - bawaria ( south germany ) and galizia ( west ukraine ) ! )))
Then what's your problem? You live in Ukraine so what is stopping you from living in Galizia?

Old 01-04-2016, 03:11 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,292,554 times
Quote:
Canada is not a destination for europeans anymore . We are not welcome there nowadays . .
So why are you so interested in coming to Canada a place that you continually tell us has very little to offer? Why not just move to bawaria or galizia?

Old 01-04-2016, 04:35 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,322,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic_gardener View Post

No, I've never noticed Canadians getting defensive about their European heritage. I'm not sure what you mean by that. What my post was in reference to was the OP singling out the British as oppressors as though he or she was in some way under the impression that Canada is made up solely of those of French and English heritage. Mine is neither, as is yours, if I recollect correctly. The OP was presenting himself as though he is somehow less of an oppressor because, I dunno, just because he has an idea in his head about that? Because he's Ukrainian? It doesn't matter whether Saskatchewan resembles Germany, the point is that many Canadians are not of either French or English heritage. Not that that actually matters either, in the OP's context. No matter what he feels, he is no more an 'insider' as opposed to 'oppressor' in this land than anyone living in Canada today.

And if he does immigrate to Canada and become a Canadian, is he less of a European oppressor or just the latest in a line of European and other immigration to Canada which the First Nations might just view as a continuation of oppression? Why would he assume that he would somehow be less responsible for what happened to the First Nations than someone of British heritage who was born in 1962 as an example?

Am I more or less of an oppressor because my ancestry is neither British nor French? Are you? Is he? That was my point.

ETA: When I used the word "Canadians" in my post, I used it to identify the citizens of this country, which, as I've pointed out in two posts, are made up of a multiplicity of ethnicities, not two. We are not a British colony. The colonizers, British and French are dead and we are what we have inherited and immigrated to. Thus my use of "Canadians," not because it was somehow 'convenient' or a comment on our identity, or as some like to refer to it, a lack of identity.

Last edited by netwit; 01-04-2016 at 04:57 PM..

Old 01-04-2016, 04:48 PM

Canada's direction is frozen to me for a while ( until there will come some good changes in our country's relationship ) . I was thinking about Israel . I think it is a good destination , they speak, I hope, one of this languages - english , russian or yiddish, and it looks like they need good workers ( of not arabic background i guess ) payment is ok , weather super , magickal place in general hmmm ... we dont need visas like for canada, so I could go there and back, whenever I want ! Its cool !

Old 01-04-2016, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Then what's your problem? You live in Ukraine so what is stopping you from living in Galizia?

i like to travel and living abroad for short periodes of time , living and seeng a society a culture from inside , deeply , not as an tourist , thats why .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada