Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2015, 03:22 PM

112 posts, read 83,694 times

Advertisements

Hello folks
Would like to go to Canadian college , how can I addapt myself to Canadian life so soon as possible ? I would say my english is still pretty bad and I speack with terrible accent, ... hmmm - tell me one thing - does canadians like to smoke and drink ?
And is it there still like this - study for at least 8 months>getting an open work permit>becoming PR>becoming citizen. ?

Last edited by mijki; 12-12-2015 at 03:51 PM..

Old 12-13-2015, 01:39 AM

Well there is about a half year left before I will apply , want to use this time for my english improving .

What's the best way to get from pre-intermediate level to upper intermediate in 6 months ? Except english courses . What would you recommend - chatt , audiobooks , movies with subtitles ?

If I get it ( IELTS test ) I"ll save about 10 000 dollars ( on english learning course in english speaking country ) ... that's a lot for an ukrainian !

Tell me is the mentality of average canadian very different from west europeans ?

Last edited by mijki; 12-13-2015 at 01:55 AM..

Old 12-13-2015, 03:43 AM

What education path would you recommend . take college preparation course or try to get directly to normal college ?

Old 12-13-2015, 10:43 AM

4,865 posts, read 10,528,229 times
I see no one has yet responded to you and I want to respond, but I'm sorry, I don't know the answers to any of these. I am a native Canadian so I have no idea what the best college route to take is, I already speak English. I can tell you that the mentality of Canadians is very different from Western Europe if you're talking about acceptance of immigrants, especially European ones. We're a New World country based on immigration that's already home to a million ethnic Ukrainians from early waves of immigration. We don't exactly have the same ethnic nationalist way of thinking about ourselves and our identities, even in Quebec where that's a bit more present as an idea it's very different from France or Belgium etc.

Old 12-13-2015, 10:52 AM

BIMBAM

Thats great ! I mean that, what you write about mentality ! I lived in many european countries and cant say that their mentality were bad , actualy it is fabulous and openwordly , espetially in comparissment to our neighbours mentality in the east ... .

Do canadians build own vans for camping ? Small ones , just for one person - not a whole family ? Whats the name of that company , mayby dodge , somehow else ? Woluld like to check the prizes for 10 years old ones...

Old 12-13-2015, 12:10 PM

Heh , you have a lot of interesting threads here people ! I enjoy reading this ! ( and learn more about ca. while getting infos about Canada )

Old 12-14-2015, 12:51 AM

Well , to get a progress by adaptation and language skills growing, I will need to work from the very beginning , major goal by this is that i want be among canadians , native speackers ,where earning some money will be just an bonus .

I was working as street caricatures painter while my study in Netherlands , but in that time I was on the part time program and had lessons only till 3 ocl. and in Canada it will be full time programm ( becose of the imigration rools ) . So tell me please - how many free hours ( a day ) usual students have in Canadas Colleges by fulltime programs ?

Some of my drawings here ( samples ) - https://www.facebook.com/Mykodesignd...416/?ref=br_rs

Old 12-14-2015, 05:16 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,315,210 times
You are definitely talented artist thanks for sharing.., however i dont know how that will help your immigration to Canada or how it will help to improve your English.

Last edited by jambo101; 12-14-2015 at 05:25 AM..

Old 12-14-2015, 06:44 AM

jampo101 thanks , take a closer look please , need some basic information about Canada , about a minivans , about usual study and homework time needet for fulltime college-programms , for average students .

One guy , who is back to Ukraine from Canada, ( dont telling much about himself ) told me that in usual college in canada you have to spend whole day by books , like till 3.00 on lessons and then till 20.00 you uusually must do your assignments in the library ... is it relly that way ?

If I will have no time to paint ,while studytime , just must know it now, and correct my planes for Canada in advance ...

Im gonna study Helth Care Assistant , i hope with this Diploma there will be no problem in finding a job directly after graduating ...
And later Ill see .

Old 12-14-2015, 08:07 AM

9,345 posts, read 4,326,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mijki View Post
jampo101 thanks , take a closer look please , need some basic information about Canada , about a minivans , about usual study and homework time needet for fulltime college-programms , for average students .

One guy , who is back to Ukraine from Canada, ( dont telling much about himself ) told me that in usual college in canada you have to spend whole day by books , like till 3.00 on lessons and then till 20.00 you uusually must do your assignments in the library ... is it relly that way ?

If I will have no time to paint ,while studytime , just must know it now, and correct my planes for Canada in advance ...

Im gonna study Helth Care Assistant , i hope with this Diploma there will be no problem in finding a job directly after graduating ...
And later Ill see .

Those hours may apply only to engineering and fine art students, most students I knew had part time jobs and a pretty active social life. I do not know about in your situation but we used to do home stays for students learning English in Canada and several of the students who lived with us stayed in Canada to take college or university programs.

Perhaps the best way to answer your questions is to contact serveral of the schools that offer the type of program you are interested in to see what they think you need to do to get accepted into their program.

Good luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada