Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2016, 08:25 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,560,052 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Set a television program in Anglophone Canada and USians hardly notice it's not the US. We tend to notice programs set in Australia.
Can you give me a specific program that you are referring to? Canadian TV shows really look Canadian to me.

Mind, you. I've met Americans who thought Canada was a state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2016, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakery Hill View Post
History actually indicates the reverse.

When the American colonies revolted against the crown because their rights as “Englishmen” were not respected, empire loyalists fled to Canada so they could remain 'British". Meanwhile, the British then had to find a new place to send the troublesome poor who were at odds with the establishment, along with political 'trouble makers' and those agitating for freedom from British rule in places like Ireland. And so came about the first white 'settlements' in Australia.

Those dynamics have echoed down through history.

When Canadians and Australians were establishing the form of government for their new federations, Australia chose a model that was far more influenced by American thinking compared to that adopted by Canada. Even the Westminster aspects of Australia’s system were subject to US constitutional federalist concepts of checks and balances: the powers of the Governor General were codified and hence limited, and the legislature was given control over the executive, to the extent that it can shut down the day to day activities of government by blocking budget bills. And of course, voting was made compulsory in Australia to further ensure that the people controlled the government, and not the reserve.

Fast forward to World War One, which both Australia and Canada entered with volunteer armies. Both governments wanted to introduce conscription to ensure their forces remained viable. While the Canadian government succeeded, Australians voted twice to reject conscription for the war. If you read histories of the debates around those votes, you’ll see than even in that time period there were a lot of Australian who certainly did not regard themselves as ‘British', or even supporters of the ‘British Empire’.

Fast forward again to WWII. Canada essentially fought to support Great Britain, while British-Australian relations reached a crisis point for number of reasons. The then Australian PM John Curtin’s famous “we turn America” speech clearly signalled the end of Britain’s role as a significant security partner for Australia.

In the post WWII era, both are far, far more influenced by the US, culturally and economically.
Good post.

Old 08-19-2016, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post
One fundamental difference is that Americans tend to focus on the concept of a free society (individual rights) where Canadians focus on the idea of a just society. Religion in politics doesn't play well in Canada either.
Agreed. I find over the years, that my American friends who have come to Canada were at first " it the same as the US ". However over the years with politics and social issues being dealt with, they realize that we are quite different in many respects.

Religion in politics is ONE of them.

Old 08-19-2016, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by England Dan View Post
Australia NZ and Britain share a pub culture, Cxnadians don't really feature if I am honest
Have you been to Newfoundland?

George Street Live » 21 BARS

Pub culture has changed in the UK over the years. The small family run pub is rarer and rarer.

There are tons of pubs in Canada and I'm a regular at one. It's not the same as the UK, but neighbourhood pubs are popular.

What has really taken off in Canada and the US is craft pubs...I"m going on a craft pub crawl soon !!

If you were with us, I'm sure you'd have a grand time !

Old 08-19-2016, 08:36 PM

3,423 posts, read 4,369,018 times
The U.S. is by far the stronger cultural influence in post-WW2 Canada (and I'd venture to guess in Australia, too). British culture still stubbornly persists in some aspects, however... like a vestige of faraway colonial days.

I wonder if Canada's British nostalgia even resembles authentic British culture? I drink Earl Grey tea everyday, brewed according to the traditions handed down to me by my mother, from her mother, from her mother... but do I drink tea like a real Brit? I'm probably adding milk and sugar in the incorrect order. Anyway, I could list off quirky east coast traditions that Ive acquired that would not be out of place for some greying codger in the olde country... the hot water bottle on a cold winter evening, and the ovaltine, and the Britcom addiction.

Canadians like British culture like it's an elderly grandpa, the one who keeps butterscotch caramels in his wool cardigan pocket.

Old 08-19-2016, 09:58 PM

26,883 posts, read 38,040,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Have you been to Newfoundland?

George Street Live » 21 BARS

Pub culture has changed in the UK over the years. The small family run pub is rarer and rarer.

There are tons of pubs in Canada and I'm a regular at one. It's not the same as the UK, but neighbourhood pubs are popular.

What has really taken off in Canada and the US is craft pubs...I"m going on a craft pub crawl soon !!

If you were with us, I'm sure you'd have a grand time !
Authentic British pubs are quite rare in Canada. Very few of them for example serve British-style pub food. It's all stuff like Buffalo chicken wings and nachos.

Even if they have names like Bull and Finch and such, and try to imitate the British décor.

Old 08-19-2016, 09:59 PM

Quote:
You'll find a lot are like former PM Gillard, who came here in their preschool years (3 or 4 years old?) with their families and have no real memory of the UK. .
Would it not be mostly the same thing in Canada too?

Old 08-19-2016, 10:02 PM

Quote:
And Australia also has significantly more migrants from countries outside the British Isles.
Canada has more people from basically every single major country. Except for the UK and NZ.

Immigrant population by place of birth and period of immigration (2006 Census)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Immigr...lian_residents

Unless I am misunderstanding your point.

Old 08-19-2016, 10:06 PM

1,147 posts, read 718,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Australians are generally more gregarious, boisterous and exuberant than Canadians. Almost in an American kind of way.
In my opinion, the "gregarious, boisterous and exuberant" Australians are more similar to Cockneys (working class Londoners) than Americans.

Americans are loud and sociable, but they don't really grasp what it means to "take the piss" so much. They're often offended by the language and lack of political correctness that constitutes stereotypical Australian conversation.

Old 08-19-2016, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish & Chips View Post
In my opinion, the "gregarious, boisterous and exuberant" Australians are more similar to Cockneys (working class Londoners) than Americans.

Americans are loud and sociable, but they don't really grasp what it means to "take the piss" so much. They're often offended by the language and lack of political correctness that constitutes stereotypical Australian conversation.
Fair enough.

In contrast, Anglo-Canada in its foundational era had a very significant Scottish component, much moreso than the population ratio of Scotland vs. England (1 vs. 10) might lead one to believe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada