Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2023, 12:35 PM

7,682 posts, read 5,532,541 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
From what I've read, and from the one trans person I know, biological males, who see their gender as female, do not see themselves as biologically female.

I mean, isn't that the whole issue? Male body, female gender. The expression of being born in the wrong body is what I've heard over the years.
To be honest, I don’t really understand what is meant by mentally viewing themselves as a different gender. A century ago that could have meant visualizing wearing a dress and writing homemaker/housewife as their occupation on forms, but those days are long gone

Old 01-12-2023, 12:36 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,564,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Examples of potential for coercion and intimidation have already been given here.
Yes but the subject was about laws. The statement you responded to by cdnirene was

"What laws are they concerned about that would force anyone to have sex with someone they are not physically attracted to? "

There are no such laws, and the anti-trans crowd trying to suggest that trans people want to make such laws is false.

Coercion and intimidation are wrong. I don't think anyone here disagrees with that.

Old 01-12-2023, 12:50 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,887,502 times
Quote:
From what I've read, and from the one trans person I know, biological males, who see their gender as female, do not see themselves as biologically female.

I mean, isn't that the whole issue? Male body, female gender. The expression of being born in the wrong body is what I've heard over the years.
Gender dysphoria is the term used to describe those who have an intense unease about the gender they were born into vs their gender identity

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/gender...20daily%20life.

So while of course they know they were born a different biological sex, the feeling they have can be very strongly against that. Assuming someone is born M and transitions to female, even something like having a driver's lic that states they are M can cause psychological distress. Once the lic is changed to Female that can alleviate the distress.

Old 01-12-2023, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post
To be honest, I don’t really understand what is meant by mentally viewing themselves as a different gender. A century ago that could have meant visualizing wearing a dress and writing homemaker/housewife as their occupation on forms, but those days are long gone
I think even back then, woman would see their gender as more than just wearing a dress etc. However, who am I to say, I'm not a woman, especially a woman of the past.

I think there has to be some level of trust towards other human beings. I, as you, don't really understand it all, but believe there must be something to it.

Old 01-12-2023, 01:04 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,887,502 times
Quote:
I think there has to be some level of trust towards other human beings. I, as you, don't really understand it all, but believe there must be something to it.
You're a good guy Nat! This is my thinking 100 percent and that is one of being respectful of other human beings. As you know, I am very familiar with this topic and have lived with someone who was a male who transitioned to female. I can never know what was going on inside this person but I know it must have been a living hell. Life isn't perfect as a female and there are things like drug side effects etc but this person is much happier and whole since their transition so you're right - something is going on here and by and large the medical profession acknowledges this.

It'll take time for society writ large to however. It's just like the struggles of gays - it wasn't until people started slowly becoming familiar with the fact their sons, fathers, nephews, friends, friends of friends etc were gay and the same person regardless, started becoming real to people that things improved.

It's harder to harbor dismissive views of someone when you know them. They aren't a clipping in the news or some social media influencer you see on instagram, twitter or youtube, it's a real person who you know.

Last edited by fusion2; 01-12-2023 at 01:16 PM..

Old 01-12-2023, 07:28 PM

3,320 posts, read 1,819,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
You're a good guy Nat! This is my thinking 100 percent and that is one of being respectful of other human beings. As you know, I am very familiar with this topic and have lived with someone who was a male who transitioned to female. I can never know what was going on inside this person but I know it must have been a living hell. Life isn't perfect as a female and there are things like drug side effects etc but this person is much happier and whole since their transition so you're right - something is going on here and by and large the medical profession acknowledges this.

It'll take time for society writ large to however. It's just like the struggles of gays - it wasn't until people started slowly becoming familiar with the fact their sons, fathers, nephews, friends, friends of friends etc were gay and the same person regardless, started becoming real to people that things improved.

It's harder to harbor dismissive views of someone when you know them. They aren't a clipping in the news or some social media influencer you see on instagram, twitter or youtube, it's a real person who you know.
The issue is not so much about individuals living and passing as the other sex, discreetly if they can 'pass', but the fact that ANY man who identifies as a women - and it IS a feeling as they proclaim - must be accepted as LEGALLY female in all circumstances with no more than self identification the requirement!

With 'Transwomen ARE Women!' as the battle cry they demand entry into ANY and ALL women's space: they angrily protest and destroy lesbian/women's festivals (Michfest, etc), demand and enter changing rooms, bathrooms, prisons, and women's shelters, steal women's scholarships, dominate female sports, and corrupt statistics regarding female representation in employment and criminal activity.

They have captured professional institutions (ACLU, Planned Parenthood, etc.) which promote a gender-affirmative model of medical treatment unlike any prior therapeutic protocol.

They have encouraged sexualization of children in schools with 'Drag Queen Story Hour' and abominations such as this in your own back yard:
https://www.city-data.com/forum/poli...r-teacher.html

There are too many links of sex offenders imprisoned for sex assaults (one for rape of a male baby) self identifying as a woman and being transferred to women's prisons where pregnant and nursing mothers reside.
There are too many sickening stories to post but here's a starter of recent vintage:
https://torontosun.com/news/national...victims-corpse
Want more?.. just google.

And as a lesbian and feminist I assure you that Transgenderism is NOTHING like homosexual liberation.
We just wanted to be left alone to live our lives in peace and with a modicum of human respect.
We did not demand gross alterations to the english language or compel new-speak from anyone.
We did not demand early, expensive, irreversible and lifelong medicalization of our bodies.
And we sure as hell do NOT de-gayify!

Trans-ideology is profoundly regressive, reactionary and misogynistic.

Medicalization of children is often just "transing the gay away" and is homophobic to the bone.

That is why we needed to re-form and disassociate ourselves from this incomprehensible mass delusion that threatens not just our existence but the classical tenets of western liberal traditions as well.

Last edited by PamelaIamela; 01-12-2023 at 07:43 PM..

Old 01-13-2023, 06:30 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,047,932 times
I am all for respect and compassion, and this includes trans people of course.

But I have difficulty understanding why basically any request for accommodation, societal or policy change, no matter what, critically needs to be accepted and adhered to by everyone, lest we're all a bunch of horrible transphobes who wish death upon everyone who has gender dysphoria.

Old 01-13-2023, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I am all for respect and compassion, and this includes trans people of course.

But I have difficulty understanding why basically any request for accommodation, societal or policy change, no matter what, critically needs to be accepted and adhered to by everyone, lest we're all a bunch of horrible transphobes who wish death upon everyone who has gender dysphoria.
What accommodations bother you?

I'm retired so I'm not in a workplace, but know someone who worked with trans people. As far as I know the workers weren't told to do anything different. They just called them by their name. I didn't hear of any issues.

Personally, the only change in my world is seeing gender neutral bathrooms, but they existed in some bars years ago.

As for acceptance. Nah. You don't have to accept anything, was long as you don't deny a person their rights just for being trans.

It's OK if it makes you uncomfortable. You shouldn't be judged for that.

Old 01-13-2023, 01:58 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,048,498 times
Quote:

....... It's OK if it makes you uncomfortable. You shouldn't be judged for that.
In that case I think that should apply to everyone then, that includes the people who are uncomfortable and complaining about other people being uncomfortable about them. So there would be no issues for anyone then, it would be OK for everybody to be as uncomfortable as they please because everyone would be uncomfortable.

Old 01-13-2023, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PamelaIamela View Post
The issue is not so much about individuals living and passing as the other sex, discreetly if they can 'pass', but the fact that ANY man who identifies as a women - and it IS a feeling as they proclaim - must be accepted as LEGALLY female in all circumstances with no more than self identification the requirement!

With 'Transwomen ARE Women!' as the battle cry they demand entry into ANY and ALL women's space: they angrily protest and destroy lesbian/women's festivals (Michfest, etc), demand and enter changing rooms, bathrooms, prisons, and women's shelters, steal women's scholarships, dominate female sports, and corrupt statistics regarding female representation in employment and criminal activity.

They have captured professional institutions (ACLU, Planned Parenthood, etc.) which promote a gender-affirmative model of medical treatment unlike any prior therapeutic protocol.

They have encouraged sexualization of children in schools with 'Drag Queen Story Hour' and abominations such as this in your own back yard:
https://www.city-data.com/forum/poli...r-teacher.html

There are too many links of sex offenders imprisoned for sex assaults (one for rape of a male baby) self identifying as a woman and being transferred to women's prisons where pregnant and nursing mothers reside.
There are too many sickening stories to post but here's a starter of recent vintage:
https://torontosun.com/news/national...victims-corpse
Want more?.. just google.

And as a lesbian and feminist I assure you that Transgenderism is NOTHING like homosexual liberation.
We just wanted to be left alone to live our lives in peace and with a modicum of human respect.
We did not demand gross alterations to the english language or compel new-speak from anyone.
We did not demand early, expensive, irreversible and lifelong medicalization of our bodies.
And we sure as hell do NOT de-gayify!

Trans-ideology is profoundly regressive, reactionary and misogynistic.

Medicalization of children is often just "transing the gay away" and is homophobic to the bone.

That is why we needed to re-form and disassociate ourselves from this incomprehensible mass delusion that threatens not just our existence but the classical tenets of western liberal traditions as well.
Since you are a lesbian, some of your views I find puzzling.

You are fine if they live discreetly and as long as they pass?

That is exactly what people still say today about people like you.

Anyway, you seem to be missing one critical fact. In Canada, things can be quite different. People have a live and let live attitude. That teacher you linked, does in my opinion seem disturbed, but that is just one person. If it was a lesbian doing what they did, does that prove that lesbians shouldn't teach?

Of course there will be issues, there are issues with all aspects of life. As the issues come up we deal with them.

Drag Queen story time. The vast majority of Drag Queens aren't trans. As a lesbian you should know this. Different topic, different thread.

As I mentioned, trans people have been fully protected in Canada since 2017. I don't think it's as much as an issue here as you like to think. We'll take the issues one by one and figure it out. Just like gay rights, or woman's rights. People with dissenting views can have them all they want, just so long as they don't act on preventing someone their rights.

Sorry if you're not getting the conflict here, as much as you seem to want. Acajack is a perfect example of a lot of Canadians attitudes. Ask reasonable questions, admit they might have some reservations, but still taking about dignity and respect and not sounding off about " mass delusion that threatens not just our existence but the existence of the classical tenets of western liberal traditions as well".

Really?

Last edited by Natnasci; 01-13-2023 at 02:44 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada