Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2023, 07:41 AM

3,320 posts, read 1,820,539 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
I hadn't heard this story, so I looked it up.

My guess is that Mcgill, or the person or persons at McGill, didn't fully understand who the speaker was. Once pointed out, they cancelled the debate. I don't believe any malice was intended.

Some things that I took away from the story that I think are important. Intentionally or unintentionally, PamelaIamela, phrased the question as if it was solely a Trans group or person that were against the speaker, when in the story I found, that it was also other gay organizations that also have issues with this speaker and the organization he has ties with.

"The event, called “The Sex vs. Gender (Identity) Debate In the United Kingdom and the Divorce of LGB from T,” was being hosted by the Faculty of Law’s Centre for Human Rights and Legal Pluralism. The speaker, Robert Wintemute, is a professor of human rights law at King’s College London with ties to LGB Alliance, an advocacy group described by various LGBTQ2+ organizations and activists as a transphobic hate group."

I think there is some truth to this.

"“McGill is actively contributing to attacking trans peoples’ dignity and safety by not necessarily endorsing the views of the speaker, but … giving them a platform on which they are allowed to debate trans rights,” she said. “I think that by platforming someone like this at a human rights research centre, it legitimizes these anti-trans views as human rights. It’s as if we’re using anti-discrimination laws to defend the people who are discriminating. Intolerance should never be tolerated.”

Perhaps if it wasn't held at a human rights research centre it MIGHT have happened.

Still, would people be alright with an event debating whether women should have equal rights at a human rights research centre, giving the question some legitimacy?

Let the conflict begin!

https://montrealgazette.com/news/loc...aker-at-mcgill
1.What anti-trans 'rights' are being attacked?
LGB Alliance believes that laws based on gender, a feeling, should not supplant or override laws based on sex. To do so infringes on women's spaces and attacks homosexuals as transphobes for rejecting trans people as sex partners based on biology. Transgenderism is now a state sponsored religion that witch hunts anyone who speaks forbidden words (like 'woman') as heretics and silences those with dissenting opinions in a fashion that would make Joe McCarthy proud.

2. Platforming and 'no debate'!
I would have no problem and would certainly not interfere with an event debating whether women should have equal rights if there was an audience willing to listen. Freedom of speech and thought are essential to classic liberal values and should never be sacrificed on the alter of political correctness, especially at an institute of higher learning.

Old 01-12-2023, 08:27 AM

7,682 posts, read 5,533,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PamelaIamela View Post
LGB Alliance believes that laws based on gender, a feeling, should not supplant or override laws based on sex. To do so infringes on women's spaces and attacks homosexuals as transphobes for rejecting trans people as sex partners based on biology. Transgenderism is now a state sponsored religion that witch hunts anyone who speaks forbidden words (like 'woman') as heretics and silences those with dissenting opinions in a fashion that would make Joe McCarthy proud.

I would have no problem and would certainly not interfere with an event debating whether women should have equal rights if there was an audience willing to listen. Freedom of speech and thought are essential to classic liberal values and should never be sacrificed on the alter of political correctness, especially at an institute of higher learning.
What laws are they concerned about that would force anyone to have sex with someone they are not physically attracted to? People reject others as potential sex partners all the time because they are not physically attracted to them. That’s not controversial. No one demands their decision be justified because it’s common sense.

Old 01-12-2023, 08:45 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,053,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post
What laws are they concerned about that would force anyone to have sex with someone they are not physically attracted to? People reject others as potential sex partners all the time because they are not physically attracted to them. That’s not controversial. No one demands their decision be justified because it’s common sense.
Lots of things get imposed on people without having laws to make that happen.

Old 01-12-2023, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Re the bolded.. 1.Correct. 2. Incorrect

Trans Rights Activists (TRAs) demand 'consequences' be imposed for any perceived transphobic behavior.
Ask any lesbian who has been kicked off a dating site or vilified with hate posts or threatened with rape.. or women that are spit on when trying to address in conference other women about being an 'adult human female'.. or people LOSING THEIR JOB for stating that sex is binary among other obvious realities.

See what bullshyte has rained down upon JK Rowling for her 'hateful transphobic views'.

And see what Amy Hamm might say about the benign nature of transgender ideology in Canada today:

https://www.jccf.ca/justice-centre-c...plinary-panel/

Old 01-12-2023, 09:20 AM

7,682 posts, read 5,533,957 times
Quote:
Re the bolded.. 1.Correct. 2. Incorrect

Trans Rights Activists (TRAs) demand 'consequences' be imposed for any perceived transphobic behavior.
Ask any lesbian who has been kicked off a dating site or vilified with hate posts or threatened with rape.. or women that are spit on when trying to address in conference other women about being an 'adult human female'.. or people LOSING THEIR JOB for stating that sex is binary among other obvious realities.

See what bullshyte has rained down upon JK Rowling for her 'hateful transphobic views'.

And see what Amy Hamm might say about the benign nature of transgender ideology in Canada today:

https://www.jccf.ca/justice-centre-c...plinary-panel/
Well, I do believe that biological males who believe that they are biological females are not. I do accept them as “trans” though, separate from biological females, but free to live their life as they want. I have no problem with that.

I joined Mastodon in November during the Twitter exodus. I was startled by the number of new Trans members looking for recommendations for a “safe” server to join. They wanted to avoid the hate and harassment they had experienced on Twitter.

I’m against all online or offline harassment, no matter who the victims are. If TRAs or LGB Alliance are promoting hate and harassment, well I’m against them too.

Old 01-12-2023, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Well, I do believe that biological males who believe that they are biological females are not. I do accept them as “trans” though, separate from biological females, but free to live their life as they want. I have no problem with that.

I joined Mastodon in November during the Twitter exodus. I was startled by the number of new Trans members looking for recommendations for a “safe” server to join. They wanted to avoid the hate and harassment they had experienced on Twitter.

I’m against all online or offline harassment, no matter who the victims are. If TRAs or LGB Alliance are promoting hate and harassment, well I’m against them too.
Good.. we agree.

But be aware that many formerly ordinary statements are now labeled as 'hate speech' by TRAs.

So I'd advise caution if you think that women are adult human females or say that there's only two sexes.

Because you will unwittingly be branded as the newest member of TERF world!

Old 01-12-2023, 12:02 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,567,829 times
Quote:

I'm not trans so I can't get into a trans persons head, so the following is only guesswork.

The fact that the LGB Alliance believes that gender is just a feeling, IMO shows a lack of understanding.
IMO gender is more than just a feeling, it's the core of who a person is. It goes beyond feeling. Feeling makes it sound trivial.

You stated

"Trans Rights Activists (TRAs) demand 'consequences' be imposed for any perceived transphobic behavior.
Ask any lesbian who has been kicked off a dating site or vilified with hate posts or threatened with rape.. or women that are spit on when trying to address in conference other women about being an 'adult human female'.. or people LOSING THEIR JOB for stating that sex is binary among other obvious realities."

Who are these TRA's? Is it one loud group? Or several? How do you know any of them speak for the majority of trans people? Can you link the group or groups you are talking about so we can read their mission statements.
I do know, that one or two groups claiming to speak for a certain group, usually do not. They haven't been elected or chosen to become the spokespeople.

As for abuse online. What else is new? Abuse is rampant against just about all of us, but again, abusers don't represent a whole group.

Anyone claiming to be transphobic because someone doesn't find them sexually attractive sounds like something people against trans people would jump on because of one persons statement, or just make it up. It is EXACTLY the same thing said about gay men years ago. That gay men must be misogynistic because they don't find women sexually attractive. It doesn't hold any water.

I'm not sure where you live, but trans people in Canada are protected by law.

I'm guessing you are American, from your statements. Joe McCarthy etc.

On a debate on women's rights, or anyone's rights, you left out my part about it taking place at a Human Rights Research Centre at a university. Context is everything. Having a debate about women's rights in that context, I'm sure would bring out women who would be opposed to that, since in that context, it gives the idea credibility by a major institution. That it is WORTHY of debate.

Women, like trans people in Canada have equal rights. Any group can have any debate they like, but just because they encounter opposition, OR in other words, other Canadians practicing their rights to oppose, doesn't mean trans people, or women are wrong.

Last edited by Natnasci; 01-12-2023 at 12:53 PM..

Old 01-12-2023, 12:05 PM

Quote:

From what I've read, and from the one trans person I know, biological males, who see their gender as female, do not see themselves as biologically female.

I mean, isn't that the whole issue? Male body, female gender. The expression of being born in the wrong body is what I've heard over the years.

Old 01-12-2023, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Lots of things get imposed on people without having laws to make that happen.
In regards to having sex with someone?

Sounds illegal.

Old 01-12-2023, 12:22 PM

26,883 posts, read 38,053,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
In regards to having sex with someone?

Sounds illegal.
Examples of potential for coercion and intimidation have already been given here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada