Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2023, 09:35 AM

15,102 posts, read 15,877,316 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Close to 1 human being in 5 is Indian so if Canada has a colour-blind immigration system you're going to get a large chunk of our newcomers from India.

Still, in the most recent statistics 27% of immigrants to Canada were from India. So they are both huge in their share of overall humanity and over-represented in immigration to Canada due we can assume skills that have developed in the community to navigate our immigration system.

I don't believe for a minute that our system favours people from India. But people from India may know how to make the system work for them (within the rules of course) better than other nationalities.

China is also close to one fifth of humanity but they only account for 7.2%. It's noticeable that immigration by people of Chinese origin to Canada has levelled off quite a bit in recent years. Completely anecdotal but i've been watching some Indian Youtube vids on the spats and the anti-canadian commentary is through the roof.

I've long said that the success of Canadian immigration was due to a word than many Canadians almost worship: diversity.

Countries that more difficult relationships with newcomers tended to have most of them sourced in a single country. This has led to creation of micro-societies that didn't always mix much with the wider host society, in addition to a whole bunch of other issues and tensions. You see this with for example the Algerian community in France or the Turkish community in Germany.

It is a minor concern of mine that Canada seems to have moved away extremely diverse immigrant sourcing of late, in spite of the fact that this is something that has served us extremely well historically.

An immigration department person would answer me that the system is truly impartial and colour-blind and whoever gets accepted gets accepted, and even I don't really know if there are any fixes that could be made or even if there is an appetite to do so.
Very insightful points! I enjoyed this post

I think Xi Xinping may have something to do with Chinese inflow reductions. Chinese nationalism has increased tremendously. They have also become more wealthy and perhaps there is less of a need for the populace to want to leave. I do know a lot of western expats in China who used to live there have left due to a rise in this nationalism and a less friendly attitude towards westerners in general.

It'll be interesting to see with the souring of Indo-Canadian relations if this will start to impact inflows to Canada. I've been watching some youtube vids on this spat from Indian media and the anti-canadian commentary is through the roof. Both the vids themselves and the comments. Totally anecdotal but still.

Old 09-20-2023, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Sikhs however make up around two thirds of the Indo-Canadian population in Vancouver, where this drama is playing out. This is different from Toronto where Sikhs are a smaller share of the population.
Agreed. There was some distasteful parades by Sikhs in Brampton but I wouldn't classify that as extremism on its own.

Old 09-20-2023, 09:58 AM

26,882 posts, read 38,026,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post

I think Xi Xinping may have something to do with Chinese inflow reductions. Chinese nationalism has increased tremendously. They have also become more wealthy and perhaps there is less of a need for the populace to want to leave. I do know a lot of western expats in China who used to live there have left due to a rise in this nationalism and a less friendly attitude towards westerners in general.

It'll be interesting to see with the souring of Indo-Canadian relations if this will start to impact inflows to Canada. I've been watching some youtube vids on this spat from Indian media and the anti-canadian commentary is through the roof. Both the vids themselves and the comments. Totally anecdotal but still.
Factoring in a bunch of intangibles like cultural familiarity, language, proximity to family, I don't think that these days Shanghai or Hong Kong are really seen as much of step down for ambitious Chinese people relative to Toronto and Vancouver.

Old 09-20-2023, 10:18 AM
pdw

2,674 posts, read 3,094,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post

I’m not too worried about YouTube comments representing the average person . According to YouTube comments Trudeau is a communist dictator and RFK Jr is a heroic crusader against big pharma and the military industrial complex. People with extreme views tend to spend a lot of time online because their opinions don’t fly with most people in real social situations

Old 09-20-2023, 10:21 AM

1,224 posts, read 496,993 times
Quote:
They went through the Student Visa Process or Immigration process?
Immigration process.

[quote]
Quote:
I obviously can't speak to anecdotal experiences with racism from Indians towards Latino's. I'm surprised this is something prevalent but i'm not denying it either in your experiences of course.
It's not just towards Latinos, try being a Muslim and applying for a job where mangement is Punjabi or Hindu. Good luck.

Quote:
In those instances I think the racist should always be challenged including complaints to Human rights agencies, politicians etc. I'm just saying though, if the goal is to diversify the inflow pool more - dissuading latino's from adding to it would not be counterintuitive to that goal. I think if there were an active campaign by Immigration Canada that favours Indians over other groups - we'd be hearing more about this and there would be a big outcry. I'd be part of that chorus.
It wouldn't happen. Many people seem to think Indians can't be racist because they are brown. I have heard people say this. Politicians wouldn't touch it. The prime minister is scared to death to even call out extremist. This is just the direction the country is going in and we have to accept it.

Old 09-20-2023, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Factoring in a bunch of intangibles like cultural familiarity, language, proximity to family, I don't think that these days Shanghai or Hong Kong are really seen as much of step down for ambitious Chinese people relative to Toronto and Vancouver.
Agreed - China is just getting more prosperous and even if there were many Chinese nationals who would want to come to a western country, many just wouldn't have the means or capability.

Something that i'm concerned with as well is the general decline in per capita GDP in Canada. We are sliding even against peers. Canada is actually quite a laggard when it comes to investments in research and dev. We invest 30 percent less per worker head in this country than the U.S does. This makes them more productive and remunerated in kind for that increased productivity. We lag Australia as well.

Why i'm mentioning this is we have been operating for almost 75 years with this notion that Canada is always going to be a place where people the world over will want to come to. We have seen however that this is increasingly not the case. Europe, Oceanic countries and now China. India still has a keen interest in Canada but we can't assume this will be the case a decade from now. That country is growing and prospering. We aren't just competing with western countries either. Dubai has 3.7 million indians there. So a growing number of developing countries are catching up to the west and will increasingly compete against it. We really need to start looking at how we can become a more prosperous country. Not specifically about maintaining some sort of status as a wondrous immigration magnet, I mean on the very basic level of making sure Canadians who are here are working at their max potential. That we are innovative, productive and have a strong economic ecosystem.

So I know there are concerns about having too much representation of one group in our inflows - well we may be in a position in the future where not only will that group decline in interest in Canada, but if we don't reduce our standards, we may actually just see a natural decline in immigration due to generalized lack of interest. If they have the means to match our criteria - they'll just go somewhere else where the COL is a more enticing magnet.

Last edited by fusion2; 09-20-2023 at 10:57 AM..

Old 09-20-2023, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luisito80 View Post
Immigration process.
Well I said it before and i'll say it again - I am simply not in favour of an inequal process. It should be the same standard regardless of where they are from. I was married to a Venezuelan for 10 years so i'm just dandy with Latinos.

Quote:

It's not just towards Latinos, try being a Muslim and applying for a job where mangement is Punjabi or Hindu. Good luck.
I don't know if you saw my post but believe it or not, 17 percent of Indians in Canada are muslim and 16 percent Christian. I didn't realize there was such religious diversity with our Indian community. I read there are over 220 million muslims in India. If they were a country of their own that would be the second largest Muslim country in the world. It does demonstrate however the religious tensions in India in general as they simply have so many people, even minority groups are massive.

Quote:

It wouldn't happen. Many people seem to think Indians can't be racist because they are brown. I have heard people say this. Politicians wouldn't touch it. The prime minister is scared to death to even call out extremist. This is just the direction the country is going in and we have to accept it.
Well personally, I wouldn't give a get out of jail card free to anyone. This is what I was saying about integration. It is harder to ask people to assimilate into Canadian 'culture' - but it isn't when it comes to adhering to our laws and human rights codes. If I were discriminated by any group I would not let that go easily at all. Of course, there are instances where you just can't prove something. That exists with so many characteristics. Smart and goodlooking people are more successful generally speaking than smart and less attractive people. Humans are not objective creatures unfortunately.

Old 09-20-2023, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdw View Post
I’m not too worried about YouTube comments representing the average person . According to YouTube comments Trudeau is a communist dictator and RFK Jr is a heroic crusader against big pharma and the military industrial complex. People with extreme views tend to spend a lot of time online because their opinions don’t fly with most people in real social situations
yeah fair points - you will see the most extreme in the comments sections of social media. I was looking on CBC comments and well let's just say, if those were the majority views of Canadians we'd be in trouble. I do however look at the barometer because even though they don't represent the majority - the extreme temp can migrate to the majority and even small increases in temp can have a material impact.

Old 09-20-2023, 10:59 AM

Speaking of Innovation and technology - this is what I like to see

Quote:
Canada and Romania signed a $3-billion export development deal Tuesday that will see two new nuclear reactors built in the eastern European country, in a move that both governments' energy ministers say will make it harder for Russia to use its energy exports as a weapon.
https://www.ctvnews.ca/business/cana...ergy-1.6569128

Canada has a lot to offer the world and we have immense resources. Lets invest in technology and innovation to make the nation more prosperous. We aren't reaching our potential here.

Old 09-20-2023, 11:10 AM

7,680 posts, read 5,527,864 times
About 2015 I read a very interesting article online about the psychology of immigrant groups and how their political behavior changes, according to the percentage their group represents of the total population of their adopted country. Unfortunately my Google search skills have failed me and I can’t find the article now. The page may not exist any more.

I’ve forgotten most of what the article said but one percentage really stuck with me - 10%. Once that percentage is reached, the group actively starts to seek political power to impose their view on everyone. That may be a bit of an exaggeration. I don’t remember now the words used, just my reaction to them - danger.

That’s why I’ve actively favored diversity of immigration since then. I do recognize though that immigration normally comes in waves where one group may dominate immigration for a while before another group takes over. I just keep an eye on whether any group is close to 10%.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada