Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2017, 04:52 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,879,610 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturno_v View Post
There are but not compared to the US.

Many Canadian professionals, especially IT/CS professionals, would give an arm and a leg to get a US Green Card.

You have literally nothing to gain, as a higher skill individual, moving to Canada. Higher cost of living (especially housing), lower wages, worse weather, less career opportunities. Look elsewhere in the good ol' USA.

If you want to experience a more radical lifestyle and cultural change, try Europe....or at least Australia.
Not everything in life is points on a piece of paper or what you would prefer as an individual. There are intangibles and lifestyle/value system that some may prefer regarding Canada over other countries. Even if a higher skilled individual can make more money in the U.S doesn't mean they can't make more than enough to enjoy their life here. Skilled Professional wages in Canada are still more than enough to live pretty large depending on industry/company you work for. You only need to make a certain amount to be happy - anything beyond that is to spend on crap ya prolly don't need.

There are also ways to mitigate higher housing costs in Canada's larger cities including renting which there is absolutely nothing wrong with. I think i'd shoot myself if I had to live in zzzeattle for example - a little too sedate for my liking. Which leads me to another point, people don't always move to a country just because of a country..

Last edited by fusion2; 01-16-2017 at 05:21 PM..

Old 01-16-2017, 04:53 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gambinobetrippin View Post
As I stated before in my other post I wanted to attend a university in Canada and study engineering and hopefully gain employment. The only skills I have at the moment is a couple of years of self taught coding/programming and planning on getting some it certifications. Also I was looking at the rehabilitation article of the immigration website. I was wondering do I have to wait 5 years or can get a pardon in the mean time?
I think you'll be ok, if you're applying for a student visa, and have been accepted to a Canadian university, OP. First, you have to have an acceptance letter, then you can apply for a student visa. Sounds like a plan.

Old 01-16-2017, 05:04 PM

34 posts, read 26,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I think you'll be ok, if you're applying for a student visa, and have been accepted to a Canadian university, OP. First, you have to have an acceptance letter, then you can apply for a student visa. Sounds like a plan.
Can I eventually become a permanent resident? Do I still have to do rehabilitation if I do want to immigrate to Canada?

Old 01-16-2017, 05:57 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,038,045 times
Quote:
Can I eventually become a permanent resident? Do I still have to do rehabilitation if I do want to immigrate to Canada?
If I was you, instead of asking strangers on an internet forum I'd be enlisting the advice of an immigration lawyer.

Old 01-16-2017, 06:21 PM

5,155 posts, read 4,622,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
You cannot just move to Canada and become a citizen/resident just because you want to.
You have been provided links with good information, start there.
Then contact Canadian immigration and ask them your questions, it is their department and their country so they should be able to give you the correct information.
Actually, if the OP isn't in Canada, they can't contact immigration and consulates don't help. The OP will have to rely on the website and/or a lawyer.

Old 01-16-2017, 06:34 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,879,610 times
I've had my experiences with Immigration Canada and all I can say is it takes MASSIVE patience dealing with them.... I'm Canadian but sponsored my partner and it took 3 years for the process to complete. We never could have navigated the paperwork if not for an Immigration Consultant.

Old 01-16-2017, 07:04 PM

So at this point who do I contact to get information about criminal rehabilitation? Since even though I never serve jailtime and was still convicted because I done the diversion program and my record is expunged . Also is there a way I can get some sort of pardon or anything?

Old 01-16-2017, 07:05 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,302,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Not everything in life is points on a piece of paper or what you would prefer as an individual. There are intangibles and lifestyle/value system that some may prefer regarding Canada over other countries. Even if a higher skilled individual can make more money in the U.S doesn't mean they can't make more than enough to enjoy their life here. Skilled Professional wages in Canada are still more than enough to live pretty large depending on industry/company you work for. You only need to make a certain amount to be happy - anything beyond that is to spend on crap ya prolly don't need.

There are also ways to mitigate higher housing costs in Canada's larger cities including renting which there is absolutely nothing wrong with. I think i'd shoot myself if I had to live in zzzeattle for example - a little too sedate for my liking. Which leads me to another point, people don't always move to a country just because of a country..

Sorry but IMHO whatever "intangibles" living in Canada may offer they are by far outweigh by the very tangible disadvantages the OP would likely experience in the move from his own country (He is an American as far as we can tell from his posts). Moving to another nation is a very serious endeavor not to be taken lightly (I have personally done it 4 times)

Canada does not really offer any different lifestyle you cannot experience in the US.

Old 01-16-2017, 08:00 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,038,045 times
Quote:
So at this point who do I contact to get information about criminal rehabilitation? Since even though I never serve jailtime and was still convicted because I done the diversion program and my record is expunged . Also is there a way I can get some sort of pardon or anything?
Mod cut.

What do you not understand about "look at the websites your were provided with" and "speak to an immigration consultant or immigration lawyer" ?

Last edited by PJSaturn; 01-19-2017 at 07:44 AM.. Reason: Reference to post which has been deleted.

Old 01-16-2017, 08:09 PM

I did look at the websites, but i dont know who am I suppose to be contacting to get more information about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada