Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2017, 06:21 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,043,276 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
The whole title is even childish, its obvious you anti-Trump people don't like walls but you want to build one yourself on your southern border come on guys really we are better than walls
That I agree with. The title is childish and I resent the hostility that it implies but I think the person who posted it is a young person who doesn't understand the meaning of diplomacy and posted it for the sake of sensationalism.

I'm pretty sure nobody in Canada actually wants a wall. I'm also pretty sure that most Canadians are feeling concern and even some sympathy because of what's happening in America right now.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2017, 06:27 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,504,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
That I agree with. The title is childish and I resent the hostility that it implies but I think the person who posted it is a young person who doesn't understand the meaning of diplomacy and posted it for the sake of sensationalism.

I'm pretty sure nobody in Canada actually wants a wall. I'm also pretty sure that most Canadians are feeling concern and even some sympathy because of what's happening in America right now.

Well we appreciate it no one likes an "unfair" election and luckily as we are seeing now the higher courts are showing off their power they have and how they are protecting human rights.

Old 02-06-2017, 10:09 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,727,708 times
Re the title ... it was not meant to be literal and yes it was meant to be symbolic of an anti-Trump sentiment. I don't like the new American President and I am not shy to about saying it.

Old 02-07-2017, 10:33 AM

18,504 posts, read 15,560,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Sorry sir or ma'am but we are communicating through the internet, we can't judge if someone is sheltered or over-reacting.

Oh shoot i guess that can turn on me judging you guys on the tone of your arguments but you have to admit these political arguments can get a little unnecessary at times right?

No one is going to change their political leaning over a internet debate so it really is just a bunch of ranting which turns to personal attack at times, it starts to get really repetitive at times too. Group A calls Group B brainwashed when they don't agree with them and the same vice versa.
Yes you can. Language is an amazing tool. The only difference with the written word is that sometimes when someone is being satirical. The satire may be lost if the person doesn't know the other person, plus the lack of tone in the voice and facial expressions make it more difficult.

One only has to read about Trumps actions to know he overreacts to most things. I don't have to hear him or see him in his case.

Old 02-08-2017, 01:00 AM

625 posts, read 1,390,145 times
Curious what people think of our own virtual "wall" - the Safe Third Country Agreement which stipulates that asylum seekers coming through a port of entry from the U.S. cannot seek asylum in Canada, combined with the Trudeau government's plan to re-impose a visa requirement on Mexicans if asylum applications hit 3,500 in a single year. This is the reason potential asylum seekers are trudging through the snow to avoid ports of entry. , we are basically erecting a virtual wall. When I compare this to the 90,000 + minors who arrived in the U.S. in a single year, fleeing violence in Central America - and the Obama administration attempted to resettle them with relatives; or my home state which provides drivers licenses and resident tuition for undocumented immigrants ...

For those of us who decry Trump's ridiculous wall and sentiments, are we willing to consider our policies, esp. if the Trump Administration scales back on refugee admissions and and asylees.

What about helping our Temporary Foreign Workers become permanent Canadians and maybe bring their families over? The Liberals have finally ditched the four-in four-out rule, but no doubt there are some people who went underground (or more likely filed various applications so they could stay pending decision on their applications) after April 2016. Many of these people have worked hard here in Canada.

I'm not trying to be flippant, but stir real reflection. I've seen such shock at what Trump has proposed in the U.S., which has been heartening, yet none of these people seemed to express very much concern for the situation of folks who face the threat of deportation from Canada, or who are trying to reach here. (This may be just part of the Canadian habit of speaking about American politics while staying guarded about domestic politics).

Old 02-08-2017, 09:10 AM

7,309 posts, read 9,328,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by docwatson View Post
Curious what people think of our own virtual "wall" - the Safe Third Country Agreement which stipulates that asylum seekers coming through a port of entry from the U.S. cannot seek asylum in Canada, combined with the Trudeau government's plan to re-impose a visa requirement on Mexicans if asylum applications hit 3,500 in a single year. This is the reason potential asylum seekers are trudging through the snow to avoid ports of entry. , we are basically erecting a virtual wall. When I compare this to the 90,000 + minors who arrived in the U.S. in a single year, fleeing violence in Central America - and the Obama administration attempted to resettle them with relatives; or my home state which provides drivers licenses and resident tuition for undocumented immigrants ...

For those of us who decry Trump's ridiculous wall and sentiments, are we willing to consider our policies, esp. if the Trump Administration scales back on refugee admissions and and asylees.

What about helping our Temporary Foreign Workers become permanent Canadians and maybe bring their families over? The Liberals have finally ditched the four-in four-out rule, but no doubt there are some people who went underground (or more likely filed various applications so they could stay pending decision on their applications) after April 2016. Many of these people have worked hard here in Canada.

I'm not trying to be flippant, but stir real reflection. I've seen such shock at what Trump has proposed in the U.S., which has been heartening, yet none of these people seemed to express very much concern for the situation of folks who face the threat of deportation from Canada, or who are trying to reach here. (This may be just part of the Canadian habit of speaking about American politics while staying guarded about domestic politics).
I think the agreement should immediately be suspended. I also think we should enter into as few agreements with the U.S. as possible while there is a Trump administration as per a recent Spiegel editorial calling for Europeans to distance themselves from the U.S. Trump is not an "ordinary" President, right or left wing. This is not going to end well for anyone.

Old 02-08-2017, 10:00 AM

295 posts, read 264,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
I think the agreement should immediately be suspended. I also think we should enter into as few agreements with the U.S. as possible while there is a Trump administration as per a recent Spiegel editorial calling for Europeans to distance themselves from the U.S. Trump is not an "ordinary" President, right or left wing. This is not going to end well for anyone.
Go to Sweden to see how it can really "not going to end well" for them - once peaceful and prosperous country became the rape capital of Europe (with more than 60 counts of rape per 100,000 population per year - in comparison, in Canada it is less than 2). And you are crying about Trump... The feminists, radical left and LBGT community will be the first victims of radical Islam (actually they are already).

Old 02-08-2017, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_wanderer View Post
Go to Sweden to see how it can really "not going to end well" for them - once peaceful and prosperous country became the rape capital of Europe (with more than 60 counts of rape per 100,000 population per year - in comparison, in Canada it is less than 2). And you are crying about Trump... The feminists, radical left and LBGT community will be the first victims of radical Islam (actually they are already).

This Swedish rape thing is still being told as fact? Different countries define rape in law very differently.

Read this and stop spreading misinformation.

https://www.quora.com/Is-Sweden-the-...l-of-the-world

Old 02-08-2017, 10:41 AM

295 posts, read 264,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post

This Swedish rape thing is still being told as fact? Different countries define rape in law very differently.

Read this and stop spreading misinformation.

https://www.quora.com/Is-Sweden-the-...l-of-the-world
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rape_s...ics_by_country

But of course it is up to you to choose what information to accept and what data to believe.

Old 02-08-2017, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post
Re the title ... it was not meant to be literal and yes it was meant to be symbolic of an anti-Trump sentiment. I don't like the new American President and I am not shy to about saying it.
That's the way I took it. No one is seriously talking about building a physical wall, like the Americans are.

What I take from the title, is that Canada must be even MORE vigilant that these politics don't cross over to Canada. Unfortunately with Leitch and O'leary, they already have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada