Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2019, 03:21 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieneke View Post
Everyone in Canada proudly wears the yarmulke under the redneck baseball cap, eh.
Christianity. Have you ever been to Canada?
Mouldy has never been to Canada nor does he ever plan to ,he doesnt think highly of us
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2019, 04:49 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,040,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Mouldy has never been to Canada nor does he ever plan to ,he doesnt think highly of us
I wouldn't say he dislikes us. He just thinks we're a quirky oddball neighbour. So he is curious about how we are different, and why that is.

(I know he's is not as full of effusive praise and admiration for Canada as you'd like...)

Last edited by Acajack; 12-13-2019 at 05:11 AM..

Old 12-13-2019, 05:07 AM

2,400 posts, read 1,568,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
That's a good point, why the hell do they call it the banjo bowl?
former Blue Bomber kicker troy Westwood once claimed that people from Regina were banjo picking in-breds ( think of the movie deliverance)

I think from there the Winnipeg press picked up on the term banjo bowl

Old 12-13-2019, 07:34 AM

7,363 posts, read 8,405,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by porterjack View Post
former Blue Bomber kicker troy Westwood once claimed that people from Regina were banjo picking in-breds ( think of the movie deliverance)

I think from there the Winnipeg press picked up on the term banjo bowl
That's the second time this week some one has made a reference to that movie on here. I had to look it up and the clips I saw were kind of disturbing.

Pretty harsh to call people in regina inbreds, lol.

Old 12-13-2019, 07:36 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,040,463 times
Quote:
That's the second time this week some one has made a reference to that movie on here. I had to look it up and the clips I saw were kind of disturbing.

Squeal like a pig!

Old 12-13-2019, 08:33 AM

2,400 posts, read 1,568,914 times
Quote:

true Regina is a cosmopolitan mecca compared to places like Russell Manitoba

Old 12-13-2019, 11:13 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,043,276 times
Quote:

You should watch the whole movie. Seriously. And yes it's disturbing but you should take it seriously too because it depicts a reality.

Old 12-14-2019, 07:03 AM

88,588 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post
I occasionally see Mennonite(?) women in Winnipeg dressed in traditional cap and long gowns. A favorite spot to visit seems to be Value Village where they turn up with their husbands in trucks. I dropped off my mother’s 70 year old iron Dutch oven there hoping it would find a good home with one of them.

I once saw three or four teenagers in their traditional old-fashioned garb seated on a bench in a busy shopping mall tapping on their cell phones. The contrast made me smile.
I see Mennonites when I visit Ontario. There are a few Mennonite farms on the way up (I see them out in their wagons) and there is farm market run by Mennonites in the town near where I go. They dress in those traditional outfits. I didn't know they used cell phones, though. That's cute.

Old 12-14-2019, 08:07 AM

2,869 posts, read 4,452,265 times
The Mennonites in Canada have a number of different sects that have their own ways of living. The Old Order are the ones who maintain a basic life with practices that have changed little in the past 100 years. They do make use of some modern things, but for the good of their own community ,such as having a passenger van so they can go to get medical care . The driver will not be a member of their group.

The reformed Mennonites are much more modern, live frugally, but interact with the larger community and in many cases they operate a business, or are skilled tradesmen.

Old 12-14-2019, 12:03 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,489,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Definitely never seen stuff like that on people on the west coast. None of that "in your face" stuff for us. It would be a good way for a person to get a dubious reputation and become avoided as a religious fanatic if that's what they want.

Sometimes on church billboards or bumper stickers on cars I've seen biblical verses.

But I've never seen stuff like “Jesus Is the Reason for the Season” probably because that would be considered by most to be a blatant falsehood (which it is). Besides which it wouldn't be appropriate to be visually flogging other people over the heads with any religion in a society like ours that is multicultural and there are so many people of different cultures all celebrating their religious (or non-religious) traditions all during the same season.
Funny you mention that "Jesus is the reason …….. " silliness; that sign is very prevalent where I'm wintering in Fla. Declaring your religiosity along with your political party affiliation seems as important as flying the flags for your favourite sports team. No room left in your storage shed if having to store all three regalia.

I cannot help but chuckle at the prospect of Jesus competing with those other two entities for lawn space.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada