Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-18-2020, 10:10 AM

7,363 posts, read 8,403,667 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011KTM530 View Post
I’m just across the border in North Dakota. This state now has the record of most increase in daily virus cases in the whole country. So even though the border is closed between ND and Manitoba it’s interesting they are having similar increases. But I’ve looked at where it’s increasing and it appears to be young people in school and college that is the reason for the increase here. The virus was under control during the summer when there was lock downs on businesses and travel restrictions. But now that schools are open, the virus is going crazy again. So it’s young people ignoring social distancing and masks. They love to party with buddies and going to crowded events that is the nucleus of the current virus explosion.

Yeah pretty much the same here. When it comes to test positivity rate, we are among the highest here in Canada. The majority of cases here in Manitoba are people between the ages of 20 and 29. Starting Monday bars will be closed and the amount of people that can gather has been reduced. More than half of the people that tested positive said they had recently been to a bar or restaurant. Hopefully these steps will bring things down again and we can reopen again more carefully.

Hang in there North Dokota, We will get through this and open the border again soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2020, 07:06 PM

705 posts, read 506,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post

Hang in there North Dokota, We will get through this and open the border again soon.
I really hope so. There is the best pizza place just across the border in Altona I always stop and get one to go and bring home. I’ve been tempted to order one and have it delivered to the border station.

Old 10-19-2020, 10:24 AM

3,661 posts, read 2,945,273 times
2022 is the goal for reopening the border. The month to month announcement of closures is just political BS.

Old 10-19-2020, 06:41 PM

3,973 posts, read 5,770,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011KTM530 View Post
I really hope so. There is the best pizza place just across the border in Altona I always stop and get one to go and bring home. I’ve been tempted to order one and have it delivered to the border station.
It would be interesting to see if food can be delivered across the international border. I sense that individuals cannot pass food over to one another across the border. The article below about a birthday picnic on the front lawn of the Haskell Free Library that straddles Derby Line, VT and Stanstead, QC (btw an excellent landmark to visit during non-pandemic times when it is open again) displays this rule. The separated family members in the party cannot even push a piece of cake to one another over the border.

https://www.wcax.com/2020/08/30/birt...der-to-canada/

Old 10-19-2020, 09:53 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,403,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Peasant View Post
It would be interesting to see if food can be delivered across the international border. I sense that individuals cannot pass food over to one another across the border. The article below about a birthday picnic on the front lawn of the Haskell Free Library that straddles Derby Line, VT and Stanstead, QC (btw an excellent landmark to visit during non-pandemic times when it is open again) displays this rule. The separated family members in the party cannot even push a piece of cake to one another over the border.

The yellow tape was the barrier, that awesome.

Interesting that building straddles the border. Looks nice. I wonder if there are any other places like that on the border?

Old 10-19-2020, 09:58 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,326,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Peasant View Post

Interesting link. I don't think the border will reopen for quite some time. I think there will be tweaks to who's allowed over but nothing resembling normality.

Old 10-19-2020, 11:14 PM

143 posts, read 133,366 times
Quote:

Interesting that building straddles the border. Looks nice. I wonder if there are any other places like that on the border?
There are several other buildings cut by the border. This one for example is half in Vermont, half in Quebec:

https://www.google.com/maps/@45.0058...7i13312!8i6656

And in the neighboring town of Beebe (all merged as Stanstead nowadays), there's an open border street where the houses are in Canada on one side, in the USA on the other. You visit your neighbor across the street and you've crossed the border.

Right half of this view is Quebec, left half is Vermont:

https://www.google.com/maps/@45.0058...7i13312!8i6656

Old 10-20-2020, 09:16 AM

35,064 posts, read 17,006,525 times
Quote:

I have actually been to the opera house and library, from the Quebec side. There is St. Stephen, New Brunswick and Calais, Maine, I think, that operate almost as one town.

Old 10-20-2020, 03:04 PM

26,882 posts, read 38,032,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
I have actually been to the opera house and library, from the Quebec side. There is St. Stephen, New Brunswick and Calais, Maine, I think, that operate almost as one town.
Port Roberts WA is like a tiny suburb of Vancouver that is part of the U.S. It is actually only accessible by going through Canada.

Old 10-20-2020, 03:41 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,552,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Port Roberts WA is like a tiny suburb of Vancouver that is part of the U.S. It is actually only accessible by going through Canada.
By land yes, but by boat and of course by plane, no.

In fact this new free service has popped up because of Covid

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/poin...ry-coronavirus
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada