Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Alberta Independence A Legitimate Movement?
Yes 14 50.00%
No 14 50.00%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2020, 08:56 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,040,463 times

Advertisements

Hugely ironic that Alberta would use the feds' Clarity Act, which was intended to stymie Quebec's independence drive, to try and force Ottawa's hand to get (what it perceives as) a better deal in the federation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2020, 02:02 PM

47 posts, read 32,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieneke View Post

Mr. Kenney also repeated his demand for additional money through the federal fiscal-stabilization program, which is designed to compensate provinces that see a sudden drop in revenue, as Alberta did when oil prices collapsed more than five years ago. Mr. Kenney called on Ottawa to lift a cap on those payments and pay Alberta a lump sum of $2.4-billion."[/indent]
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/cana...remier-kenney/
Better than nothing but Ottawa owes us far more than 2.4 billion at this point! They need to pay up and get with the program or we'll be gone, Mark my words! Funny enough I spoke about this very topic with my mother-in-law last night. She made a lot of great points.

- All equalization programs must end. No more money being sent to Quebec.

- Quebec and Ontario need to pay up for all of the money stolen from us.

- Ottawa should have little to no say in our economy.

- We should be able to close our borders at will. No waffling with Ottawa.

Old 07-16-2020, 02:08 PM

47 posts, read 32,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Hugely ironic that Alberta would use the feds' Clarity Act, which was intended to stymie Quebec's independence drive, to try and force Ottawa's hand to get (what it perceives as) a better deal in the federation.
I like Quebec, but Quebec has permanently damaged Canadian federation. This isn't to say that they are the bad guys, we are just very different. Ottawa has chosen Quebec over us and it has sucked the lifeblood out of Canada. Now the federation is subject to her whims and we are left out to dry. Quebec may have set the stage for Canada to be a series of semi-autonomous states unified only by a common currency and military. If that's the case then let's play ball!

Old 07-16-2020, 02:34 PM

7,489 posts, read 4,956,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redfirehose View Post
Better than nothing but Ottawa owes us far more than 2.4 billion at this point! They need to pay up and get with the program or we'll be gone, Mark my words! Funny enough I spoke about this very topic with my mother-in-law last night. She made a lot of great points.

Trudeau has a big problems with ethics, as we see today with another funding scandal (WE org.). No one in Alberta or BC is surprised when Trudeau's federal decisions are influenced by personal goals such as funnelling money to his family and his riding (SNC Lavalin).

Alberta cannot afford to support the country anymore. Trudeau shot himself in the foot by destroying Alberta's industries while continuing to expect Albertans to pay for Eastern Canada. Unemployment in Alberta is currently around 15%.

Alberta should not separate from the country, but must do something so the regional economy can recover from pre-covid economic depression.

Old 07-16-2020, 03:09 PM

143 posts, read 133,459 times
Be careful what you wish for - when the world moves away from the high-cost, high-environmental-footprint fossil fuels that's been the driver of your economy, and AB reverts back to a farming/ranching province with poorer-than-average soil... (and for a double whammy, imagine if veganism continues to get more and more adepts with every generation) ... then maybe you'll need equalization then :P

Equalization exists for a reason.

BTW, on a per capita basis, Quebec is midpack (5th out of 10 provinces), receiving less equalization than Manitoba, PEI, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia. (May pass Newfoundland too eventually, which would mean Quebec would join the top half - where it would sit alongside Ontario, BC, AB, SK). :P

Old 07-16-2020, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
Be careful what you wish for - when the world moves away from the high-cost, high-environmental-footprint fossil fuels that's been the driver of your economy, and AB reverts back to a farming/ranching province with poorer-than-average soil... (and for a double whammy, imagine if veganism continues to get more and more adepts with every generation) ... then maybe you'll need equalization then :P

Equalization exists for a reason.

BTW, on a per capita basis, Quebec is midpack (5th out of 10 provinces), receiving less equalization than Manitoba, PEI, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia. (May pass Newfoundland too eventually, which would mean Quebec would join the top half - where it would sit alongside Ontario, BC, AB, SK). :P
Alberta already needs equalization payments. That's the problem. Alberta needs help but is not receiving help. Therefore, the equalization formula does not work for Alberta and Alberta needs to opt out.

Old 07-16-2020, 03:22 PM

7,681 posts, read 5,530,949 times
Quote:
Alberta already needs equalization payments. That's the problem. Alberta needs help but is not receiving help. Therefore, the equalization formula does not work for Alberta and Alberta needs to opt out.
Alberta is the only province without a provincial sales tax. I don’t think people in other provinces wanted a sales tax, but it was financially necessary.

Old 07-16-2020, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post
Alberta is the only province without a provincial sales tax. I don’t think people in other provinces wanted a sales tax, but it was financially necessary.
I don't understand the connection. Provinces with a provincial sales tax have relied on equalization payments. A provincial sales tax in Alberta would not change that. Albertans who were out of work pre-pandemic were unable to pay rent regardless of paying a provincial sales tax.

Old 07-16-2020, 04:26 PM

7,681 posts, read 5,530,949 times
Quote:
I don't understand the connection. Provinces with a provincial sales tax have relied on equalization payments. A provincial sales tax in Alberta would not change that. Albertans who were out of work pre-pandemic were unable to pay rent regardless of paying a provincial sales tax.
My point is you say the province needs money. One source is a consumption tax (sales tax) which does not affect necessities such as food.

I lived in Alberta for 6 years and remember the lower cost of living compared to where I lived before and after which was due to the impact of lower provincial income tax (that may have changed) and no provincial sales tax.

Old 07-17-2020, 12:46 AM

542 posts, read 503,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redfirehose View Post

Hello redfirehose,

Unfortunately, Quebec won't be giving you money, and equalization payments won't be negotiated.

Furthermore, The idea of Alberta redesigning Canada's equalization system is patently absurd.

In the event that this did happen, it would only lead to a resurgences of Quebec's far more serious, legitimate, and important independence movement.

You can't have it both ways.

Canadians know this, and they have wisely chosen to keep Quebec over appeasing a few troupes of powerless western yokels.

Canadians know that Quebec and Ontario are more important and central to Canada than Alberta is or ever will be, and the needs of Quebec are what continue to drive this federation.

Alberta has no real options. Independence is geographically impossible, and the Americans don't want Alberta.

We can give out a few equalization referendums to make Albertans feel better, but let's be serious. You know Alberta's role.

Alberta will have to remain content with the way things are, at least until we decide otherwise.

I wish you a good night!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada