Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-26-2020, 10:16 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,074,648 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
@Mightyqueen. I know it really sucks for you and I'm so sorry about that.
Ditto to that.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2020, 10:31 PM

88,648 posts, read 84,943,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
@Mightyqueen. I know it really sucks for you and I'm so sorry about that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Ditto to that.

You guys are so nice. Thanks.

Old 09-27-2020, 08:51 AM

8,943 posts, read 11,799,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Way Resident View Post
That's because CD is meant to be a place for Americans to use in order to find necessary information about cities for the purpose of relocation. Canadian cities would be second on the list after American ones that would be targeted.

I've also noticed that this board does seem to lean towards the conservative spectrum. The P&OC forum is littered with threads criticizing (to put it mildly ) bashing democrats and the left.
When you see something like these, it's almost impossible not to say something.

BLM rioters block traffic and pulling gun on people.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sa5n-o8lzkw

Harassing a store manager for calling the police on thieves.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Ac0...ature=emb_logo

Of course it's all Trump's fault. He put a gun to their head and made them do all this. LOL.

Old 09-27-2020, 11:25 AM

18,504 posts, read 15,582,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
You nailed it. It's a place for them.

The crazies from both sides post there, though. Both extremes regularly complain that City-Data favors the other side. I think that's a common forum phenomenon. I'm a mod on R&S, and the atheists complain that we favor the religious and the religious claim we favor the atheists. To my amusement, I once got this same complaint from an atheist and a very religious person on the same day.

Liberals won't have much negative to say about Canada because we think Canada has a lot of good ideas that we'd like to see here. If someone finds out I spend a lot of time in Canada, I often get the stereotypes (you all wait for MONTHS to see a doctor, etc.)

Oh yeah, and someone recently asked me if I have a hard time understanding "that accent".

But the reality is that most Americans are barely aware that Canada exists. As a matter of fact, this year has sucked royally for me because of two things: The death of my mother and the aftermath of trying to settle the estate, and the now-seven-month-separation (as of today, as a matter of fact) from my Canadian S.O., as well as my elderly pets. The few times this has come up in conversation with people who are not close friends, it seems that they were not even aware that the US-Canadian border is closed.

Stay invisible up there. It's in your best interests.
Sorry to hear about your mother and it must be difficult not seeing your significant other. It won't be forever!

You are getting a bit of what it's like being a Canadian visiting the US. The odd statements and questions. I'm surprised you haven't been asked if we have roads

Invisible. LOL. I have a friend who says " the less they know about us, the better ".

Old 09-27-2020, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post

Invisible. LOL. I have a friend who says " the less they know about us, the better ".
That's something I keep on saying - I've even said it here a few times in recent months - and I do ardently believe in this day and age that protectiveness of ourselves, our capabilities and our natural resources has become more necessary than ever before in Canada's history. No boasting, no attention getting behaviours. The less that people in other countries know about us, the better it is for us. So I think it's good advice that Mightyqueen is giving and I believe that MQ understands why it has become important. Be invisible.

Old 09-28-2020, 07:35 AM

2,227 posts, read 1,408,336 times
I’m hoping that Canada opens up their border to states which have done a good job at controlling spread. Vermont and North Dakota border Canada, but one has barely any increase in cases while the other has seen rapid surge. Should both states be looked at the same way, especially when New England has a quarantine requirement in place ?

Old 09-28-2020, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozenI69 View Post
I’m hoping that Canada opens up their border to states which have done a good job at controlling spread. Vermont and North Dakota border Canada, but one has barely any increase in cases while the other has seen rapid surge. Should both states be looked at the same way, especially when New England has a quarantine requirement in place ?
I doubt Canada will open its border that way to specific states. For one thing that might be considered too discriminatory, and also, what is preventing travellers from poorly controlled states from getting into the well controlled states?

I imagine when the proper time comes to open - such as when ALL states have demonstrated they've all done a good job at controlling spread - then the border will be open across the board for all states.

In the meantime, do all the border states have their own state borders closed to all travellers from all other states? Don't all states have quarantine requirements in place? If they don't, they should.

Old 09-28-2020, 10:09 AM

2,227 posts, read 1,408,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
I doubt Canada will open its border that way to specific states. For one thing that might be considered too discriminatory, and also, what is preventing travellers from poorly controlled states from getting into the well controlled states?

I imagine when the proper time comes to open - such as when ALL states have demonstrated they've all done a good job at controlling spread - then the border will be open across the board for all states.

In the meantime, do all the border states have their own state borders closed to all travellers from all other states? Don't all states have quarantine requirements in place? If they don't, they should.

Not all states do. New England states have quarantine orders in place, as does New York, Pennsylvania, and New Jersey. But rest of the places would be susceptible to the concern you mentioned.

Old 09-28-2020, 10:17 AM

7,682 posts, read 5,541,155 times
Quote:
Quarantine requirements are currently in place for Canadians travelling between certain provinces. Until those restrictions are lifted, I doubt restrictions will be lifted for foreigners wishing to travel to Canada.

Canada’s has restricted travel from ALL countries, not just the U.S., since March. Many countries have had a low number of active cases for some of that time period.

Old 09-28-2020, 10:30 AM

2,869 posts, read 5,141,530 times
Quote:
The main problem is that you don’t have a Vermont or North Dakota passport, you have a US passport. The government is not going to ask CBSA agents to figure out exactly where an American lives and whether he/she really spent time where he/she claims he/she has.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada