Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2024, 09:00 PM

1,318 posts, read 560,256 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdw View Post
it’s not 1983 anymore. Time moves forward annd the world is progressing. People who don’t like it should get over it. Not everyone moving here now is from Poland or whatever cultures you think are “compatible”.
The Canadian immigration system is based precisely on who Canadians think is compatible. It is based on who Canadians think are worthy of coming here. Of course there are also refugees here. Where did you get Poland from? This comment reflects PDWs way of thinking more than anything else.

Quote:
People from non Christian religions shouldn’t have to erase their own heritage to make the pearl clutchers comfortable. If you want to move here and be a part of this great country that’s all you need from me. Everyone no matter where they’re from or their religion is welcome in my books. Anyone not Canadian reading this, this is how most of us feel. There’s a lot of negativity online but the Toronto Sun or National Post comments sections are not representative of how most Canadians feels Don’t let a bunch of bitter old farts online speak for all of us.
Also for all non Canadians reading this. PDW also does not speak for all Canadians but sadly his singling out and attacking Christians is very common here. I apologize to all the Filipino and African friends that might be reading this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2024, 07:14 AM

26,918 posts, read 38,218,938 times
If we were to have a rational adult discussion about this, we'd be able to acknowledge that the backgrounds of the people coming to Canada have differed over time, and that certain waves were easier to assimilate and integrate, whereas others might require more effort and finesse.

But in recent decades, Canada has in fact largely abandoned the ideas of integration and assimilation, and has let things basically evolve on their own.

This is led to successes, failures, challenges and even tensions.

People who are bringing this up more and are starting to ask questions, aren't just "old farts" BTW.

Old 05-23-2024, 09:29 AM
pdw

2,721 posts, read 3,134,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
If we were to have a rational adult discussion about this, we'd be able to acknowledge that the backgrounds of the people coming to Canada have differed over time, and that certain waves were easier to assimilate and integrate, whereas others might require more effort and finesse.

But in recent decades, Canada has in fact largely abandoned the ideas of integration and assimilation, and has let things basically evolve on their own.

This is led to successes, failures, challenges and even tensions.

People who are bringing this up more and are starting to ask questions, aren't just "old farts" BTW.
How does a society define integration and assimilation? Clustering in ethnic neighbourhoods where people have access to their own country’s groceries and religious services has always been a thing in urban places in this country. I think a big thing people have a problem with is religious clothing. If the issue is people socializing with people from their own background, that’s also always been a thing here. I don’t think a Canadian born individual is going to be rejected and ostracized for trying to befriend someone from India or Syria or Pakistan. On the contrary, I’d imagine they came to this country because they want to be Canadians and want to be welcomed here. We should be the change we want to see. If you have a barbecue, invite your newly landed immigrant neighbours over. If your work team is going out for wings and watching the hockey game, don’t exclude the people from a different cultural background just because you think they’ll say no. I’m not saying everyone does these things but integration is a two way street.

Old 05-23-2024, 10:23 AM

Quote:
How does a society define integration and assimilation? Clustering in ethnic neighbourhoods where people have access to their own country’s groceries and religious services has always been a thing in urban places in this country. I think a big thing people have a problem with is religious clothing. If the issue is people socializing with people from their own background, that’s also always been a thing here. I don’t think a Canadian born individual is going to be rejected and ostracized for trying to befriend someone from India or Syria or Pakistan. On the contrary, I’d imagine they came to this country because they want to be Canadians and want to be welcomed here. We should be the change we want to see. If you have a barbecue, invite your newly landed immigrant neighbours over. If your work team is going out for wings and watching the hockey game, don’t exclude the people from a different cultural background just because you think they’ll say no. I’m not saying everyone does these things but integration is a two way street.
Yes I am sure syrians and pakistanis would like to come over for hot dogs and beer at my bbq.

Old 05-23-2024, 11:09 AM

26,918 posts, read 38,218,938 times
Quote:
Surely you're aware that Canada has spent the past several decades promoting itself as an immigration destination where you can basically live according to the ways of the old country, with minimal requirements for integration?

Obviously many people still arrive here with the intent of becoming fully Canadian (whatever that means at this point) and even assimilating, but the image we have abroad means that we're the destination of choice for those who want to live in a prosperous safe western democracy and still feel as much as possible like they've never left home.

(Note that we're not debating if this is good or bad. But these are the actual facts.)

Old 05-23-2024, 11:50 AM
pdw

2,721 posts, read 3,134,957 times
I always like to use Trinidad and Guyana as examples, where, while the level of racial tension is not perfect and a certain degree of segregation exists especially on political lines, the Indo-Caribbean half of their society is now an integral part of those cultures and has brought many influences from their ancestral homeland of India and influenced the local culture. They are generally more religiously liberal than their cousins in the motherland. A lot of people are mixed half-Indian/half-black. This is how Canada is probably going to be in a couple of generations, but I’d imagine a substantial degree less socially conservative than Caribbean countries are with regards to LGBT issues and things like that. I know Quebec in particular is very culturally conscious and as a province they don’t envision their future the same way. I don’t see the federal government alienating Quebec voters and doing anything to stand in the way of their province taking a different path.

Old 05-23-2024, 12:09 PM

Indo-Trinidadians have been in Trinidad for generations. They are not recent arrivals and got there under very different circumstances to people coming into Canada now. Many, if not most were indentured labourers and servants. Indo-Canadians are the largest visible minority and are the least likely to intermarry or even date with others. Not a criticism just a fact. So the situation in Canda is very different to that of Trinidad.

Old 05-23-2024, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Canada, it’s not racist or xenophobic to talk about immigration: Joe Adam George for Inside Policy
The sustained public antics post-October 7 has caused otherwise pro-immigrant Canadians to question the viability of our current policy
https://macdonaldlaurier.ca/canada-i...inside-policy/

Old 05-23-2024, 08:32 PM

153 posts, read 125,359 times
A lot of people are mixed half-Indian/half-black. This is how Canada is probably going to be in a couple of generations,
Amen

Old 05-23-2024, 08:50 PM

Trinidad and other near by places such as Guayana aren't exactly the best example of racial harmony between Indians and other folks. 200 murders linked to racial hatred in one year in Guayana. Not good.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada