Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2024, 11:13 PM

1,354 posts, read 596,523 times

Advertisements

Interesting to see what's going in PEI

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2024, 05:51 AM

26,945 posts, read 38,307,297 times
"Immigrants are stealing our jobs!" is an old (often xenophobic and racist) trope.

I didn't have that coming back to 2020s Canada on my bingo card at all!

If thoughtful people like that guy aren't ashamed of saying it on camera, then you need to give your head a shake and notice something is going on.

Old 05-24-2024, 05:59 AM

Since we've mentioned Trinidad and Tobago, I'd like to recommend Selling Illusions by Neil Bissoondath. He is from Trinidad but moved to Toronto and now lives in Québec City of all places.

It's from 1994 but a great critique of Canadian multiculturalism that foreshadows a lot of the issues we are seeing today.

Old 05-24-2024, 07:27 AM

3,898 posts, read 5,332,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Since we've mentioned Trinidad and Tobago, I'd like to recommend Selling Illusions by Neil Bissoondath. He is from Trinidad but moved to Toronto and now lives in Québec City of all places.

It's from 1994 but a great critique of Canadian multiculturalism that foreshadows a lot of the issues we are seeing today.
Great read, highly recommended +1.

Multiculturalism basically leaves people in the middle, with no real "home". Its impossible to not lose your culture to an extent while you live abroad, but then on the flip side in your mind you are not really embracing what it means to be Canadian. You are left as a person without a home.

I am as proud of a Jamaican as you would find, and I go back "home" multiple times a year. But I would be lying if I said I didn't feel somewhat out of place, due to being accustomed to certain aspects of "first world life".

What you end up with is a bunch of people who are not really fully in tuned with their homeland or adopted land at the same time and that holds people back from really prospering in their new country.

Old 05-24-2024, 07:56 AM

I should point out that I don't want to sound like I'm completely down on Canadian multiculturalism.

The father of a very good friend of mine, himself an immigrant, kind of held the pen on the original policy in the 1970s.

It was definitely well-intentioned at the time.

Old 05-24-2024, 08:03 AM
pdw

2,734 posts, read 3,155,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post

Thank you for the recommendation, I’ll have to give it a read. I don’t know much about the Caribbean besides vague history and I know the political situation is pretty split between the two leader parties on ethnic lines over there (with some exceptions). My point is more that the Indian descended people there did not drastically reshape the island to reject Western values like some people fear happening to Canada. I’d imagine as a transplant to Quebec who wrote that book he might be more attracted to the Quebec nationalist stance on the multiculturalism issue, which is more secularist and in favour of new immigrants adapting themselves to the new culture rather than our culture adapting to the new immigration patterns. I truly don’t think the federal government is going to interfere with Quebec pursuing a different vision. I don’t personally agree with it, but they are more than content threatening separation again if the feds try and interfere. No one wants that again

Old 05-24-2024, 08:15 AM

Bissoondath is certainly an interesting guy but he moved to Ontario (Toronto I guess) as a young adult and stayed there for almost 20 years. When he moved to Quebec he would have been close to 40 years old or more.

His wife is from Quebec so that likely has more to do with it than his political views on multiculturalism. Though yes they do happen to be more in line with the Quebec view of things.

Old 05-24-2024, 10:14 AM

The Toronto accent is the worst thing to come out of multiculturalism.

Old 05-27-2024, 07:56 PM

That first guy they are interviewing around the 2:05 mark has a very big gold chain and tommy hilfiger clothing is not cheap and that Karen with the dread locks is an interesting character. She starts hyperventilating.

Old 05-28-2024, 09:35 AM

3,898 posts, read 5,332,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luisito80 View Post
The Toronto accent is the worst thing to come out of multiculturalism.
Its nails on a chalkboard to me and any actual born Jamaican would agree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada