Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2007, 02:10 AM

989 posts, read 2,762,327 times

Advertisements

I would love to live in Vancouver, BC!

I don't know if I'd have the patience to work the bureaucracy of immigration, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2007, 01:52 PM

64 posts, read 204,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by castor View Post
Canada is to me more secure than the US. The only thing I don't like is the weather (I'm not really into winter sports) but some people like it. It depends where you live, too.
How many cities in the U.S. is Toronto more secure than?

Canada as a whole is more secure definitely.

Just watch where you go.

Toronto has become a cesspool of crime and homelessness

Old 09-23-2007, 05:42 PM

64 posts, read 320,970 times
I also would consider a move to Vancouver, Canada. But it seems the citizenship test is against 'older' transplants. I'm 56 -- almost. I teach and have a real estate license. Is there a need for teachers? I qualified on everything else, except the age. I figured that had to do with the social-health system. Does it matter that I'm as healthy as can be? Is there anyway to work around this age limitation? I don't have family there.

Old 09-23-2007, 09:30 PM

4,282 posts, read 15,749,873 times
Houselady,

The teaching profession is regulated by each province, so you'd need to get in touch with the British Columbia Ministry of Education to ascertain what steps you'd have to take to become qualified to teach in that province.

Similarly, the real estate profession is regulated by each province as well. Again, you'd need to contact the provincial Realtor's Association to find out hoops you'd need to jump through in order to become licenced.

I'm not sure what the rationale behind the age portion of the entrance test is, but, if I had to guess, I'd say it has more to do with placing a premium on how many productive, employable years a person has ahead of them.

Good luck.

Old 09-26-2007, 01:34 PM

4 posts, read 16,290 times
I personally think Canada accepts too many immigrants for its own good. The laws are also in their favour for securing employment if they are a racial minority. Federally regulated companies must hire certain numbers of minorities. Companies which accept labour sponsored funds must show they are promoting minorities.

When Canada accepts too many immigrants, wages go down. So where must native born Canadian go to make a living? They go to the states. Wages in Toronto have not kept up with those in the USA especially when the average price of a house is around $380,000.

Also check out this website:
http://www.notcanada.com/

Old 10-03-2007, 09:27 AM

64 posts, read 204,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocuri View Post
Vancouver is the most mild place in Canada in the winter... There is little (or no) snow, and more days with above freezing temperatures than not.

There is little or no snow in Toronto anymore either

Old 10-03-2007, 03:52 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,811,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1873 View Post
There is little or no snow in Toronto anymore either
But it still is COLD!

(We hit -25 C overnight once, even though it was a mild winter)

Old 10-04-2007, 08:17 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,454,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpkelly View Post
I personally think Canada accepts too many immigrants for its own good. The laws are also in their favour for securing employment if they are a racial minority. Federally regulated companies must hire certain numbers of minorities. Companies which accept labour sponsored funds must show they are promoting minorities.

When Canada accepts too many immigrants, wages go down. So where must native born Canadian go to make a living? They go to the states. Wages in Toronto have not kept up with those in the USA especially when the average price of a house is around $380,000.

Also check out this website:
http://www.notcanada.com/
The same could be said from outsiders moving into your state/province. One example in the U.S.: Californians in Texas; in Canada: Ontarians in Alberta.

Old 10-06-2007, 05:35 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,334,415 times
It also helps if you can fight while standing up in iceskates.

Old 07-15-2009, 02:31 PM

14 posts, read 230,362 times
I know this is an older thread but I am seriously considering a move to either Vancouver or Toronto. I am a property manager with a commercial real estate company and my wife is an executive assistant/office manager for a non-profit. Will we have difficulty finding jobs in our respective fields as non-residents?

Thanks in advance for all replys.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada