Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2012, 11:20 AM

1,726 posts, read 5,862,227 times

Advertisements

Canada does not have felonies. They have indictable offences and summary offences. DUI is a hybrid offence and can be charged either way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2012, 01:57 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,293,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by callmemaybe View Post
Does anyone else think it's a little bit harsh how if you have a DUI you can never visit Canada? Even if you come into the country by bus? I mean I don't have one, I don't even know how to drive, and I know they have a right to turn away anyone they wish, but it seems a little bit harsh to me. I could understand if someone committed armed robbery or rape or something banning them from the country for life but just a DUI?
Never is a strong word. The officers have a tremendous amount of discretion, and additionally you can apply for a Ministerial Permit that allows access.

Old 08-03-2012, 07:46 PM

235 posts, read 837,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marc3565 View Post
never? there is a process you can go through to enter..

Canada takes DUIs a bit more seriously and considers them felonies. The US doesn't typically allow felons to enter the US either..
If you've been convicted of possession of one marijuana joint you can also be denied entry both ways. I think someone smoking one joint is unlikely to have been in a position to harm anyone. Someone convicted of DUI likely drove drunk more than just the one time and could have at any time killed someone .
People don't seem to be aware that there is a process they can use to try to get a pardon for an offence that prevents them from crossing the border (not just for any offence, though). And, considering it's an international border, there has to be a line drawn somewhere. It might not seem fair to some people, but then again, I wouldn't want a foreigner coming into my country and driving a rental car three sheets to the wind, careening down my local highway, why would I want that person to have the privilege of being a guest in my country? No thanks.

Old 08-06-2012, 10:22 AM

35 posts, read 46,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evanusc View Post

Dude, it was meant to be a metaphor.
Average Americans tend it take it for granted that their country can assume everyone to be a terrist on the border but should be waved in politely as long as they show their US passport because they will spend money in other countries.
Guess what, the world is different now.
The world didn't change, only some peoples' attitudes became more cynical.

Old 08-06-2012, 12:00 PM

2,982 posts, read 4,101,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikezx View Post
I'm not talking about serious crimes here folks. I'm taking about the most trivial minor misdemeaner charges that they can drag up off a data base up to 30-40 years back.
You are making the mistake of assuming what qualifies as a "trivial misdemeanor" charge south of the border is going to looked at the same way here. In some American states, DUI is a misdemeanor charge. However, it is considered a serious charge in Canada, as is marijuana possession.

As stated previously, Canada is a sovereign country with laws that may vary greatly from the ones you are used to. As with planning any international trip, you best do the research to ensure you conform to the qulaifications of entry to avoid disappointment at the border. If unsure, contact the Canadian Consulate in your respective country.

Old 08-10-2012, 08:24 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,791,864 times
We plan on travelling to Cananda soon and have applied for US Passports. How, without hiring a lawyer, does one check to see if they have any criminal offences on their "record'? I do not want to be stopped for something I may have completely forgotten.

Old 08-10-2012, 03:02 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,293,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
We plan on travelling to Cananda soon and have applied for US Passports. How, without hiring a lawyer, does one check to see if they have any criminal offences on their "record'? I do not want to be stopped for something I may have completely forgotten.
You don't remember if you've ever been to criminal court? I want whatever you've been smoking.

Old 08-10-2012, 07:00 PM

179 posts, read 830,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post

FBI — Criminal Background Check

I recently had to get this paper in order to immigrate to Canada. It's fairly easy to get, you just mail a set of fingerprints and an information sheet to the FBI headquarters in West Virginia along with proof of payment for the request ($18) and you should have it within 4 - 6 weeks. If you want you can go to your local police station and they might be able to do the fingerprints for you. Check the site, it has everything you need.

Old 08-13-2013, 03:29 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,381,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by christa119 View Post
can i go to canada if i have minor in possession charge im 17 and i got it when i was 13 or 14 and went to all the classes for it. i need to know asap cuz im leaving in less thna a monht
I think you should learn to write English correctly. After all, Canada is mostly an English-Speaking country.

Old 08-13-2013, 03:57 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,381,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post
Well, then I guess Canada's "Approval of Rehabilition" is a bargain at only $200. It still seems like a shakedown to me. But the 200 bucks wouldn't be a deal breaker....I just wish you could pay at the border and skip the onerous application process.

I guess I just don't understand why one would have to apply for "approval" of something that is self-evident in my criminal record....that I have not re-offended in the ensuing 27 years.

I will still apply for my "Approval", but I guess a Canadian vacation this Summer is out of the question. I looked at the form and there is information required that I may have some difficulty obtaining, like exact conviction date, statute number under which I was charged, my address in 1971, etc. And I'm quite sure any discrepancies caused by lapses of memory of events that occurred decades ago would result in rejection of my application.

Say, my second vacation destination is Ireland....does anyone know if they have similar requirements to enter the Country?

Thanks for everyone's input!

PS: I fully realize the seriousness of driving after drinking....but a simple (no accident) DUI in Virginia is a misdemeanor NOT a felony. I was tried in TRAFFIC Court. If I had injured someone and been tried in Circuit Court of felony DUI....I would be much more accepting of the moniker "criminal"! In fact, had I been charged with DUI just a few months earlier, it would have been reduced to reckless driving upon completion of the alcohol safety priogram.
Ireland is fine with DUI. My husband has one from 10 years ago and no problems there but we flew. Do the same rules at CAN border crossings apply to air travel as well?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada