Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2009, 09:34 PM

261 posts, read 668,692 times

Advertisements

They can just get up and move to where ever they want. Don't they forget that they will miss their families. The real reason why 90% of unemployed people are unemployed is ebcause 90% of us are not willing to move to Idaho or NWT or half way across the country and leave our life behind in whatever city we are from. It will be weird being in a city that you have no friends.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2009, 02:07 AM

99 posts, read 375,583 times
Talking Staying in one place can become boring for some people

Quote:
Originally Posted by jungeon View Post
They can just get up and move to where ever they want. Don't they forget that they will miss their families. The real reason why 90% of unemployed people are unemployed is ebcause 90% of us are not willing to move to Idaho or NWT or half way across the country and leave our life behind in whatever city we are from. It will be weird being in a city that you have no friends.

I just moved to a new city in order to go to school, and I seriously doubt whether I'll ever move back to the city that I moved away from, even after I graduate.

I talk to my friends in my old city on the phone, and we exchange emails... and I'm starting to meet new people in the new city.

Personally, after school, I hope to become an international correspondent/journalist and wander around the Earth reporting on things.

I mean, I liked my old city and I liked the fact that half the people in my town knew me and would wave and say hi on the street... but sometimes seeing the same old hills and same old trees and same old things gets old.

I'm sure I can't be the only person who finally got tired of living in one place for years and years and years, and who now wants to see the rest of the Earth.

Old 08-03-2009, 08:18 AM

75 posts, read 575,067 times
Quote:
I agree. Plus its not always about the money. What does it matter if you make six fugures but live in a small community where people your age are few and far in between? As you get older too, its harder to make friends and assimilate yourself in a new city. It takes about a year to completely feel the pulse of a new city, know where you fit in and places and people you should avoid. There are little nuances in every city that is apparent to outsiders but not so much so to the locals and it can make or break your experience. The whole experience is made easier if you have family close by or if your family moved with you as you guys can share experiences and assimilate faster. Just my two cents, moving is hard work.

Old 08-06-2009, 11:29 PM

Kristan I can tell you come from small town. I am the reverse of you grew up in a big city an never want to go back after a while it drives you crazy and you want to sleep without hearing a plane, bus, ice cream truck, crow, heavy truck or other obnxious loud city sound waking you out your sleep.

I also want to travel the world, but its one thing to travel, its another thing to move away. Travvel to me means you go away until you get pissed off with a location and start to miss people back home. Moving away is like not going back.

@titan yeah thats what I think, i have the opportunity right now to make$200,000 a year working in the boonies of Canada, with free housing. The problem is who wants to work in the artic where you have more people in your high school class than your who new town. I couldn't move anywhere if my family didn't come and vene then i would always wonder whats happening back homr

Old 08-06-2009, 11:32 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times
that is why we got CDF, we got virtual friends no?

Old 08-07-2009, 10:13 AM

2,825 posts, read 7,546,367 times
Quote:
There are some really good reasons. I'll give you an example.

I know a young couple with 3 children. They live in a tiny town in KS with NO prospects of work at all. Their kids have been in and out of foster care until the judge, in his infinate wisdom, gave them back to the mother (but that asinine situation is a whole other story).

Because they are always broke they expect the family to help them out. When it is suggested they move somewhere where jobs ARE available, the standard answer is "no, he can't move because his family is here and he is very close to them".

That is such a bunch of bull. He allegedly is an adult who should be taking care of his family instead of having his family and the state doing that.

In addition, moving and experiencing other areas is good for the mental development and open up horizons.

Old 08-07-2009, 10:28 AM

73,031 posts, read 62,622,338 times
I have gotten used to moving around so much as a child, that staying in one place for more than 3 or 4 years felt kind of strange.

Old 08-07-2009, 01:59 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,381,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schousse View Post
There are some really good reasons. I'll give you an example.

I know a young couple with 3 children. They live in a tiny town in KS with NO prospects of work at all. Their kids have been in and out of foster care until the judge, in his infinate wisdom, gave them back to the mother (but that asinine situation is a whole other story).

Because they are always broke they expect the family to help them out. When it is suggested they move somewhere where jobs ARE available, the standard answer is "no, he can't move because his family is here and he is very close to them".

That is such a bunch of bull. He allegedly is an adult who should be taking care of his family instead of having his family and the state doing that.

In addition, moving and experiencing other areas is good for the mental development and open up horizons.
I think if moving would improve the quality of one's life, like in the situation mentioned above, then I would say it's a good idea. Otherwise, I wouldn't want to do it. Travel all over but always come home I say!

Old 08-07-2009, 11:27 PM

13 posts, read 62,339 times
Canada was founded on the notion of migratory practices of going where the work was.

Its one thing to keep your roots close, but something entirely different when you cannot grow as a result of keeping those roots close. Many would consider this a bit selfish when considering that there would be work for the person in another part of the country, but they would rather collect pogey and stay near mom and dad and aunt and cousin.

Granted, the current recession makes that job migration point a bit mute, but even before the recession, there was a prevailing attitude of not wanting to grow, to spread wing and experience life for yourself, instead of living a megre existence.

I left Whitehorse, I never looked back. I lived fro a few months on the east coast, several years in Ontario, a couple in BC and these past 18 years, lived in Alberta. .
My only regret was I did not leave the Yukon much much sooner, or better yet, that my parents moved to ANY place but there.

Old 08-08-2009, 02:49 PM

So don't you miss your family and all, don't you hate leaving behind everything (as small and as little as there is) behind in whitehorse. Maybe its easier to move from a small town into a big city than it is to move frm a big city to another big city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada