Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2010, 07:57 PM

7,528 posts, read 11,361,486 times

Advertisements

Surprised?
Quote:
The largest study of its kind has unexpectedly concluded that smoking marijuana, even regularly and heavily, does not lead to lung cancer.

Study Finds No Cancer-Marijuana Connection - washingtonpost.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2010, 09:43 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,522,738 times
No I'm not. I've known some heavy users in my time and they are still all around to light up.

Old 07-24-2010, 09:55 PM

10,420 posts, read 10,825,582 times
You betcha smoke of any kind is good for the lungs

Old 07-24-2010, 09:56 PM

I see vaporizers have become popular with weed smokers. I think more people should consider using them if they're going to smoke.

Old 07-24-2010, 10:42 PM

1,500 posts, read 2,799,712 times
I've smoked pot daily for almost 40 years now and I must say that those who seek to make a connection between pot use and lung cancer
are really going out of the way to make a case against weed. I love pot but because it is illegal, I cannot buy it in the quantity which would
allow me to cook it or use it as a food substance and thus, spare my lungs the trauma of breathing it in, to obtain the effect that I desire.
I have long awaited the day when our leadership would come to the conclusion that the typical user will always use marijuana, the health risks,
notwithstanding. The threshold of that day has arrived! Soon, government will take it's swelled head out of its butt and recognize the fact that,
the more that they oppress the user, the more that the usage of marijuana will rise.

Recent studies conducted by governmental agencies
who've delved into the connection between cigarette (tobacco) smoking and cancer have
shown conclusively that tobacco IS the greatest cause of lung cancer. Where, beyond the printed warnings on the product, is governmental concern?
Why is it that there are not outcries from our legislators, the condemnation of tobacco, the outlawing of the substance with the same vigor in which
they lash out against marijuana? Could it be because the government is lining their pockets with money from taxing tobacco, lobbyist interests, the
dogmatic suppression of a natural weed?

As America hashes out legislation for health care, we see it as one of the biggest problems here in our society but they continue to allow us to suck-up
the cigarettes because it serves their warped agenda. it continues to fill their pockets with a tax windfall whether at state or federal level. They
continue to believe that we, the citizenry, are dumbed-out, that we cannot see the hypocrisy of their legislation, their ardent suppression of marijuana,
in a direct contrast to tobacco. They've taken (or mistaken) us for sheep or pigs with nose rings as they lead us deeper into the great myth, the foolish
and unsupported assertion, that marijuana is evil.

It's my lungs that hang in the balance
and it's my choice as to whether I want to kill myself with pot. I used to respect this country because it was founded
upon the principle of freedom, freedom beyond the bogus imposition of arbitrary and foolish mandates set upon me by a government who is primarily engaged
in a self-serving agenda. It is time for America to awaken to a new dawn, an age where the problems are addressed and dealt with in a manner that serves
the people and not the stewards, that class of fattened and smug overseers of our welfare. Once again, it is time for the power to come to the people.

Old 07-24-2010, 11:39 PM

I remember reading once how it was difficult to determine if marijuana smoking caused lung problems because many people who had been a part of past research studies were also tobacco smokers. So it was hard to tell if any lung problems were caused by marijuana or the tobacco smoking.

Old 07-28-2010, 08:24 AM

1,262 posts, read 1,301,275 times
Default It's not that hard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
I remember reading once how it was difficult to determine if marijuana smoking caused lung problems because many people who had been a part of past research studies were also tobacco smokers. So it was hard to tell if any lung problems were caused by marijuana or the tobacco smoking.
Of course in any scientific study you need to exclude factors that would affect the result of your study and you need a control group. It is not that hard to find people that have smoked neither and it is not that difficult to find people that have smoked only tobacco or only marijuana. I, for example, have never smoked tobacco, and I personally know many people who have not smoked tobacco. You will find that tobacco smokers tend to have friends that smoke tobacco and marijuana smokers will also tend to have like minded friends, so I think the study you read about was just not doing the due diligence needed to have a well balanced study. I'm sure there are studies about sex that complain about the inability to find virgins too, but they do exist.

Old 07-28-2010, 04:42 PM

752 posts, read 2,086,040 times
Wow....don't know what to make of this one. All that talk about how ciggies can kill you and I would think pot would be ten times worse....

Old 07-28-2010, 04:49 PM

7,874 posts, read 14,176,247 times
Interesting to note that the fed has used this guy's studies to condemn pot in the past, but now he's telling them it's not dangerous.

Old 07-28-2010, 07:17 PM

1,500 posts, read 2,799,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
When making a comparative analysis between the effects upon the lungs of Marijuana smokers and Tobacco smokers, it would be wise to take note of this fact:
Marijuana (in it's natural state), is an unadulterated, natural weed, it is cured, harvested and moved along to the consumer without additives. On the other hand,
there are hundreds of carcinogenic additives that are added to commercial tobacco before it is moved along to the consumer. The primary natural drug in tobacco
is nicotine, a powerful, habit forming drug. Commercial tobacco is marketed to a willing public under government auspices and control and you can be sure that the
government is fully aware of every one of those, cancer-causing additives, thus, the health warnings that are inserted so subtly. along the side of the package.
The educated consumer of either substance, knows full well what the user risks are but it is the enlightened user of Marijuana, who has a grasp on the political
dynamic, that serves to elevate and support tobacco use as viewed by our legislators, while penalizing the marijuana user.

As I mentioned in a previous comment within this discussion thread, I am a long-term user of both tobacco and marijuana but this is my personal observation:

When I run out of cigarettes, I crawl the walls, my nicotine habit is so strong that I have already gotten out of bed at 3 in the morning, pajamas and all, gone out to the
driveway and into my car where I check the door pockets and the ashtray, the glovebox and the visors, I'll do ANYTHING to get my fix, to get the nicotine monkey off of my back.
Then, I drive a mile to get to 7-11 and like the moron that I am, pay almost $9.00 to buy another twelve hours of physical peace and it appeases the tobacco demon.
But if, on another night, I should finish up the roaches and be completely out of pot, it would be no big deal, maybe I'll cop another bag, pretty soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer