Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2011, 07:11 PM

917 posts, read 2,004,846 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD4020 View Post
Do you have any proof? By proof any studies that have been peer reviewed or done by a reputable research clinic or university.

Yes cancers were around 50 years ago. The outcome then was not good at all. We hear more about it due to people living longer and more treatments around. People are living longer now than they were years ago. As people age the odds of cancer in one way or another showing up goes up. Sugar doesn't have a thing to do with it.
I always heard sugar feeds cancer cells. Even if this wasn't true it's a good idea not to consume much of it or any at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2011, 09:32 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,764,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hershey48 View Post
I always heard sugar feeds cancer cells. Even if this wasn't true it's a good idea not to consume much of it or any at all.
Where is your documentation? Without sufficient evidence your statement is a logical fallacy.

So you don't have good evidence for a reason not to do something, only the admonishment of "just because." bull.

Old 08-26-2011, 07:58 AM

41,951 posts, read 75,160,115 times
Well, this is a quote from my spouse's oncologist:

"People (with pancreatic cancer) who limit their sugar intake seem to do better than those who don't."

Pretty much all the documentation he needed to cut back.

Old 08-26-2011, 04:03 PM

410 posts, read 832,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post

"People (with pancreatic cancer) who limit their sugar intake seem to do better than those who don't."

I would have liked to see the study that was taken from.

Old 08-27-2011, 12:37 AM

Quote:

Considering that the pancreas secreates the hormone that helps to process sugars during treatment that would make sense.

However that is not a preventative measure.

Old 08-27-2011, 07:18 AM

41,951 posts, read 75,160,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD4020 View Post
Considering that the pancreas secreates the hormone that helps to process sugars during treatment that would make sense.

However that is not a preventative measure.
True. My mind is obsessed squarely with prevention of recurrence.

Old 08-27-2011, 07:38 AM

Quote:
True. My mind is obsessed squarely with prevention of recurrence.
Been there done that. Every little thing pass through my head during chemo.

Old 08-27-2011, 08:35 AM

1,787 posts, read 3,849,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampbird View Post
More and more young people are getting it, so it's more than just age (I was only 44). Personally, I think birth control pills have caused the breast cancer epidemic. But I am not a medical professional. My uncle died at 46 of colon cancer and he ate very healthily. I don't know what it is....but it's not age.
I agree it is more then just age. I was 47. Children get cancer. I didn't mean age causes cancer. Just that if you live long enough without something else killing you first you'll probably get cancer. I too knew a person that ate healthy, exercised, and died of colon cancer.

I don't think any ONE thing causes cancer. Genetics, environment, diet - I think they all play a roll.

I asked my oncologist what he thought of the sugar theory. He does not support it. But, who knows? I was on birth control for 23 years, smoked for 20, eat way too much candy and ice cream, no family history of breast cancer, ate healthy (except for the sweet tooth), was fit and active, not overweight (most of my life I was underweight), garden organically - so which one of these factors caused my cancer? Could be none, could be all, could be if you do three things wrong (which three?) you'll get cancer. For now, I don't believe they know what causes ALL cancer. I don't think they even know what causes some cancer. They can't even explain why some people exposed to known carcinogens get cancer and others don't. When they DO know, they will have a cure for cancer. But cancer is too complicated and mutifaceted for such a simple solution as avoiding sugar will prevent cancer.

Old 08-27-2011, 11:07 AM

2,222 posts, read 10,647,005 times
While my husband went through prostate cancer a few years ago, several doctors spoke to us regarding sugar and cancer. And we read several books by cancer doctors.

Tumor cells thrive on sugar. But it's the fructose that increases proliferation, not the glucose. Cells use glucose differently than fructose. I think it interesting that high fructose corn syrup consumption increased 1000% between 1970 and 1990, and all types of cancer also increased.

There is enough research out there that should cause people to think about the sugar in their lives and to curb it. Researchers are finding more things they believe may be linked to sugar, including High Blood Pressure, High Cholesterol, Liver Disease, and Insulin Resistance.

Old 08-27-2011, 06:00 PM

The thing with diet we've ate since WWII have led to problems beyond cancer. We as people have become heavier, our dietary intake is not as good as it once was. Our physical activity has diminished we spend most of our time sitting on our backsides.

We have more diseases such diabetes, high blood pressure, etc. We are also living longer as a general concept, as we live longer more things go wrong with our bodies. Also what we eat and what do have major factors in our health as a whole. Not just cancer specific.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer