Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2011, 06:12 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,124,373 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beth56 View Post
While my husband went through prostate cancer a few years ago, several doctors spoke to us regarding sugar and cancer. And we read several books by cancer doctors.

Tumor cells thrive on sugar. But it's the fructose that increases proliferation, not the glucose. Cells use glucose differently than fructose. I think it interesting that high fructose corn syrup consumption increased 1000% between 1970 and 1990, and all types of cancer also increased.

There is enough research out there that should cause people to think about the sugar in their lives and to curb it. Researchers are finding more things they believe may be linked to sugar, including High Blood Pressure, High Cholesterol, Liver Disease, and Insulin Resistance.
I have read many books linking the consumption of High Fructose Corn Syrup with a higher incidence of cancer. It is up to each person to read as many books as possible and make their own conclusions and follow the protocol that makes the most sense to them. I am very lucky that nobody in my family has ever had cancer. That doesn't mean I am immune, but I have the confidence that I will know what to do if it does happen to me.

20yrsinBranson
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2011, 04:57 AM

27,957 posts, read 39,764,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
I have read many books linking the consumption of High Fructose Corn Syrup with a higher incidence of cancer. It is up to each person to read as many books as possible and make their own conclusions and follow the protocol that makes the most sense to them. I am very lucky that nobody in my family has ever had cancer. That doesn't mean I am immune, but I have the confidence that I will know what to do if it does happen to me.

20yrsinBranson
You've read books about it. Do they cite peer reviewed studies, document their testing procedures and offer something of substance? You know like using the scientific method to test to prove or disprove a theory?

Or are they written by a doctor, a real doctor or a doctor like DR John is a doctor or Dr. Pepper is a real doctor?

Old 08-28-2011, 06:36 AM

19,922 posts, read 11,041,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD4020 View Post
... Dr. Pepper is a real doctor?
Pepper is NOT a doctor. Everyone know's he's a Sergeant!

http://www.turnmeondeadman.com/IBP/IBPX/SgtPepperCover.jpg (broken link)

... and now back to our conversation about preventing cancer, which in truth is not possible. You might be able to prevent some forms of lung cancer by not smoking as there appears to be a true link between the two, but some cancers, like mine (Non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma) do not have any preventative measures. Although the alternative medicine community will deny this, sometimes, you just get cancer!

Quote:
The thing with diet we've ate since WWII have led to problems beyond cancer. We as people have become heavier, our dietary intake is not as good as it once was. Our physical activity has diminished we spend most of our time sitting on our backsides.

We have more diseases such diabetes, high blood pressure, etc. We are also living longer as a general concept, as we live longer more things go wrong with our bodies. Also what we eat and what do have major factors in our health as a whole. Not just cancer specific.
SD4020 - excellent post! Two thumbs up here!

Old 08-28-2011, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley View Post
Pepper is NOT a doctor. Everyone know's he's a Sergeant!

... and now back to our conversation about preventing cancer, which in truth is not possible. You might be able to prevent some forms of lung cancer by not smoking as there appears to be a true link between the two, but some cancers, like mine (Non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma) do not have any preventative measures. Although the alternative medicine community will deny this, sometimes, you just get cancer!

SD4020 - excellent post! Two thumbs up here!
I was thinking of soda pop.

There was nothing I could do to prevent my cancer.

Old 08-28-2011, 01:58 PM

1,787 posts, read 3,849,045 times
Maybe I could have prevented my breast cancer by cutting them off the minute they started to sag.

Old 08-29-2011, 11:43 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,124,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chele123 View Post
Maybe I could have prevented my breast cancer by cutting them off the minute they started to sag.
No, but there has been a statistically significant correlation between breast cancer and root canals. Do you have any of those?

20yrsinBranson

Old 08-29-2011, 02:35 PM

Quote:
No, but there has been a statistically significant correlation between breast cancer and root canals. Do you have any of those?

20yrsinBranson
Who doesn't have root canals? WTF, over. Talk about circumstantial and logical fallacies all in Moderator cut: not allowed .

I'd *love* to see that study and data.

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 08-29-2011 at 02:59 PM..

Old 08-29-2011, 02:47 PM

19,922 posts, read 11,041,982 times
Root canals and breast cancer? Good grief. You know, there reaches a point where a thread outlives it's usefulness. I think we're there!

Old 08-30-2011, 01:57 PM

1,787 posts, read 3,849,045 times
Quote:

20yrsinBranson
Yup, several. And I love pickled foods and I used to do a lot of grilling over charcoal too. Yet I had none of the known risk factors for breast cancer. Well, maybe one. I had breasts.

You can't attempt to reduce your risk for cancer until all the reasons for cancer have been discovered. Live well, eat all things you love in moderation, stay fit, enjoy life. Cancer is not the root of all evil. My Mother died from advanced Parkinson's. I'm glad all I have is cancer.

Old 08-30-2011, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chele123 View Post
Yup, several. And I love pickled foods and I used to do a lot of grilling over charcoal too. Yet I had none of the known risk factors for breast cancer. Well, maybe one. I had breasts.

You can't attempt to reduce your risk for cancer until all the reasons for cancer have been discovered. Live well, eat all things you love in moderation, stay fit, enjoy life. Cancer is not the root of all evil. My Mother died from advanced Parkinson's. I'm glad all I have is cancer.
Exactly. Until you had cancer no one understand what goes through your mind. I take major issue with those who tell me what I should feel or do, who themselves have never experienced cancer or are trained in treatments and care of cancer patients.

Until someone understands what goes on, they really should keep their thoughts to themselves. Don't tout your alternative treatments, unless you have good evidence that is might improve things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer