Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2012, 10:00 PM

1,956 posts, read 4,874,864 times

Advertisements

My mom just got home from the hospital. My dad is feeling better. His temperature is down to 99 from 101 earlier today and his pains subsided. They still didn't get the ct scan back yet. He should be out of the hospital by Sunday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2012, 11:23 PM

12,477 posts, read 17,788,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony22 View Post
My mom just got home from the hospital. My dad is feeling better. His temperature is down to 99 from 101 earlier today and his pains subsided. They still didn't get the ct scan back yet. He should be out of the hospital by Sunday.

great news! So hoping and pulling for your dad!!! Thanks for taking the time to update us

Old 03-12-2012, 04:01 PM

He was just released this afternoon. He is experiencing no pain or fever anymore. He will be on antibiotics this week. That means he will not get any chemo until next week. He will be getting platelet injections this week. His blood work came back good at the hospital and the CT scan showed no big growth of the tumor. It was most likely a gallbladder infection that was causing the pain and fever, despite the big rise in his tumor markers. He might go back to Oxaliplatin, Leucourin and Fluouroucil after this week.

Old 03-14-2012, 09:31 PM

348 posts, read 849,836 times
Quote:
The doctor finally gave him the chemo today after 5 weeks. He gave my dad 2 different types of chemo. This will be the main chemo's until the platelets come up. He will then go back to Folfirinox when the platelets go him. The doctor gave him Gemcitabine. He is also taking a chemo pill at home called Xeloda. Tomorrow, my dad will go back to the doctor to take a platelet shot to boost his platelets. My dad weighs 204. The scale wasn't accurate yesterday.After the treatment, the doctor gave a pat on my dad's back and said " you will beat this and I will make sure you will ". His doctor is really nice. He is 49 years old and has 25 years experience. He is a oncologist and a hematologist.

Not always true. I have read a lot online about people who fought this cancer.
SD didn't say that the outcome is NEVER good, but that it is rarely is, which on the whole is true. As we know, pancreatic is one of the deadliest cancers, particulary as it's rarely caught before it has spread. Unfortunately most treatments are palliative. Some patients succomb quickly and very few, like my dad, manage to stay alive, painfully, for ten years. The long term survival rates, meaning even five years, are small. (My dad went 8 years before tumors were found in his lungs.)

You're right to not want to ever give up hope ---you shouldn't. I believe in miracles and prayer, and hope that your dad will become a pc survivor.

I must say that I really appreciate you sharing your story on CD. I frequently will log into CD just to see if you have updated how you and your dad are doing. Thank you for sharing the ups and downs of your dad's health.

Old 03-15-2012, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redsox1972 View Post
SD didn't say that the outcome is NEVER good, but that it is rarely is, which on the whole is true. As we know, pancreatic is one of the deadliest cancers, particulary as it's rarely caught before it has spread. Unfortunately most treatments are palliative. Some patients succomb quickly and very few, like my dad, manage to stay alive, painfully, for ten years. The long term survival rates, meaning even five years, are small. (My dad went 8 years before tumors were found in his lungs.)

You're right to not want to ever give up hope ---you shouldn't. I believe in miracles and prayer, and hope that your dad will become a pc survivor.

I must say that I really appreciate you sharing your story on CD. I frequently will log into CD just to see if you have updated how you and your dad are doing. Thank you for sharing the ups and downs of your dad's health.
There should be more research about this cancer. I don't know why there isn't. It's a shame.

Old 03-15-2012, 10:05 AM

23,862 posts, read 33,533,504 times
Tony; I think you saw the post about Squand's passing. He's an inspiration & if you have time; check out his posts. He was told to get on hospice 11/2010; found a new Dr & got more then a year out of treatments they did.

Old 03-15-2012, 11:01 AM

My dad just got back from the doctor. He said the low platelet count is normal because my dad took 7 rounds of Folfirinox and it was bound to happen.His doctor thinks that he will most likely be able to get chemo next week.He will probably give him Gemcitabine until his platelets really respond. My dad is the same weight and no fever at all. Also, the CT scan showed stable conditions with the tumor on the pancreas and on the liver. There is a little nodule on the lungs but nothing to worry about he says. All the other bloodwork came back good.

Old 03-15-2012, 06:01 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,764,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redsox1972 View Post

Thank you. That is a the point I was trying to make. We have made great steps, however there are just as many steps to make. Every step helps, but this is a nasty disease, so the journey is long and difficult.
Quote:
There should be more research about this cancer. I don't know why there isn't. It's a shame.
There is quite a bit of research going on.

Johns Hopkins has a whole center dedicated to researching the disease. There are at least another half dozen agencies working towards a cure.

Pancreatic Cancer Research Center at Johns Hopkins
Pancreatic Cancer Research - Lustgarten Foundation
Pancreatic Cancer Action Network | no cost patient support, information, resources
Hirshberg Home Page - Pancreatic Cancer
Pancreatic Cancer Research Team
What's new in pancreatic cancer research and treatment?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
Tony; I think you saw the post about Squand's passing. He's an inspiration & if you have time; check out his posts. He was told to get on hospice 11/2010; found a new Dr & got more then a year out of treatments they did.
Steps are being made.

The latest information of NIH shows about a 5% to 5.1% If the cancer is caught way early and still localized there is a 21% survival.

Cancer of the Pancreas - SEER Stat Fact Sheets

We keep pressing towards a cure. The odds have a long way to go before being "good."

Old 03-20-2012, 09:35 AM

My dad got the CT scan report back. His tumor on the pancreas is not well defined and it grew from last month to 3.6 from 1.7. His liver lesions also grew slightly. He has a couple of little nodules on his lungs and one on his spine. He hasn't received chemo in a week. In the beginning, he was getting chemo non stop without stopping. Recently, there has been flaws galore. This really sucks. He is tired of taking Neumega shots because he feels really weak and he keeps on getting chest pains and high fevers because of the shot. He wants to end treatments but I told him that he can't.

Old 03-20-2012, 09:46 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,811,151 times
Tony, I know you love your dad but this is his decision to make. You can tell him how much you love him and want him to fight, but please don't put a whole lot of pressure on him. He feels bad enough as it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer