Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2012, 06:23 PM

6,727 posts, read 9,948,595 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvintar View Post
Oh, cancer markers I understand. Well, at least, the doc says mine are low. But he did not tell me what they were. I should ask?
Well, if you want to know, you should ask. And the more questions you ask, the more your medical professionals will understand that you are fully involved in your care.

Ask what test(s) he's doing and what the expected results should be and what your results are. And take a notebook and pen with you so you can write it all down. (Just in case your "chemo brain" kicks in at that very moment).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2012, 05:19 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,690,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvintar View Post
>> BTW: My CEA results are in - (anything less than 5.0 is good.) 2.5 woo hoo!

CEA??

I love it: flying falafel!!

Was at the bank this afternoon and the woman I was working with is cancer free after nearly 10 years. "Been there, done that" she said (viz a viz chemo).

Saw someone coming out of chemo (thin, wig on), smoking a cigarette. Are people insane???
I think about all the years many of us smoked and I am surprised we are still living, but I see the otherside as well. For some, like any drug, they just can't beat the habit or maybe she feels like what the heck, quitting now is too late. I had a friend one time that did feel that way: she was terminal, knew it but still smoked. Her reasoning was just that, it is too late, so I might as well enjoy what I enjoy.

Nita

Old 05-04-2012, 05:46 AM

915 posts, read 2,128,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I think about all the years many of us smoked and I am surprised we are still living, but I see the otherside as well. For some, like any drug, they just can't beat the habit or maybe she feels like what the heck, quitting now is too late. I had a friend one time that did feel that way: she was terminal, knew it but still smoked. Her reasoning was just that, it is too late, so I might as well enjoy what I enjoy.

Nita
Yep, that's what it was alright; that woman looked absolutely ashen. I smoked for 18 years, too, but quit 20 years ago. I have pains in my lungs, and even though they tell me my lung x-ray is clear, I find that hard to believe. I smoked a LOT, 1-2 packs a day, and pot, too. No more; I decided to stop hurting myself that way long ago.

Old 05-04-2012, 11:43 AM

Really not sure what to do with my hair. It's coming out, like it's thinning, but not in big clumps. After the next chemo I'm sure it'll all be out. Don't know if I should go ahead now or what. Just not sure.

Old 05-04-2012, 07:41 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,087,707 times
theatergypsy - congrats on the news! That's wonderful!

mvintar - when it feels right, you'll know I guess... hang in there.

Old 05-04-2012, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by christina0001 View Post
mvintar - when it feels right, you'll know I guess... hang in there.
I did it this afternoon (see chat thread). Had to: the long hair coming out was hurting my scalp. I feel fine. Another problem resolved. And the wig is beautiful.

Old 05-06-2012, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by christina0001 View Post
It sucks. There's no way around it. I had my hair buzzed off two and a half weeks after my first chemo treatment and it was only a few days later that little bald spots started appearing. I knew that if I let it fall out, it would devestate me to have hair everywhere for days and days. But that's just me, some women feel the opposite and want to enjoy their hair as long as they can. It does feel unattractive. I definitely wear more makeup now to compensate. I have wigs, hats, scarves...it helps, and they look nice, but I don't enjoy wearing any of it.
I haven't had to tweeze my eyebrows since it all started. I've had four treatments so far and I've lost about 40% of my eyebrows and perhaps 20% of my eyelashes so far. I hope that some of yours make it through your treatments.
I'm sorry you are going through this. I try to console myself with the thought that this is surely a good learning experience, that it will teach me to be humble, less vain, understanding of others...something deep and meaningful like that anyway.
I still rub my head with shampoo every night in the shower, even though I only have a sporadic amount of stubble left.
I should have listened to you more. I cut it really short and then shaved it a bit, and now I've got stubble. I can feel it when I lay my head down on a pillow. But even though there are whisps of hair, even that is still coming out; it will all come out completely, I suspect. Hair everywhere else -- eyebrows, eyelashes, arms and legs -- seems normal at present.

I feel so rotten right now. Chemo in two days. In a way I'm glad my parents aren't around to see this; I miss them so much, but it's better for them that they didn't. There's nothing they could do to prevent it.

I keep thinking I'm going to die; I don't really mind all that much, but I'm just sad. boo hoo, right??

Old 05-06-2012, 02:17 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,770,834 times
<hugs> I've never had cancer that required chemo (I had severe dysplasia and had to have 1/3 of my cervix removed and several nodes in the vagina zapped out, recovered fine).

I do, however, wear a wig. I also use eyebrow pencil, and eyeliner, and can't wear false eyelashes because they have nothing to rest against and would just flop down into my eyes.

I've been wearing a wig since I was 18, I'm 51 now. At first I was saddened, and disgusted when I had to part my hair on the side in a "combover" until eventually it just wasn't helping. I started wearing bandanas, with my own natural hair poking out the sides and back, until even -that- started to look weird. Eventually I came to terms with it. I'm not completely hairless; you could braid my armpits if I didn't shave at least once every two weeks And I have the usual nearly-invisible "down" on my face that women are supposed to have.

I even still have a "fringe" of hair near the base of my neck in the back. The rest is sparse splotches of hair tufts that never really grow, between splotches of hairless scalp. It's a hormone and nervous system disorder, nothing fatal, nothing harmful, nothing painful. Just embarrassing

Hang in there and learn to love playing with your wig. Also, for night-time when your scalp feels "naked" above the sheets - get a thick terrycloth/velour turban, one where the entire thing is stretchy and has a WIDE supportive band that runs around the whole thing. Don't settle for the dirt cheap ones that are very thin and flimsy; they slide off easy and make a mark in your skin where the elastic is. The thick ones run around $15-$20 and will last you a good couple of years. Even once your hair grows back, they'll make a great cap for when you're home on cold winter nights.

Old 05-06-2012, 02:35 PM

@AnonChick: That's awful; I'm so sorry. I *hate* wearing things on my head. I was thinking of wearing a pink baseball cap to chemo, but I don't think I can stand having it on my head for five or six hours. Don't know if I can handle a scarf, but I'll have to. Don't want to wear the wig that long: it would be too uncomfortable.

Old 05-07-2012, 09:50 AM

6,044 posts, read 24,087,707 times
Maybe your lashes and brows will stay with you. I'm three weeks out from my fourth treatment and still have a lot of mine, enough to look "normal." Of course we are taking different chemos though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer