Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2012, 08:59 PM

915 posts, read 2,128,170 times

Advertisements

I plucked my eyebrows this morning, and instead of there being a 'ping' when I plucked one, they sort of came out softly, rolled over, and played dead. And now, when I run my hands through my (long hair) there is long hair all over my fingers. I just shampooed in the shower -- have a drain catcher in there, per the oncology directions -- and the drain catcher is full of long hair.

I guess it is happening; I'm losing my hair. I hate this worse than anything. I guess, Thursday, I'll have it cut real short, and then shave it with an electric razor if it all comes out. I really hate this.

Yeah. It's coming out. It's going to be all over my pillow tonight. How do you handle this, women in particular? I hate not feeling attractive!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2012, 09:03 PM

4,001 posts, read 6,270,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvintar View Post
I plucked my eyebrows this morning, and instead of there being a 'ping' when I plucked one, they sort of came out softly, rolled over, and played dead. And now, when I run my hands through my (long hair) there is long hair all over my fingers. I just shampooed in the shower -- have a drain catcher in there, per the oncology directions -- and the drain catcher is full of long hair.

I guess it is happening; I'm losing my hair. I hate this worse than anything. I guess, Thursday, I'll have it cut real short, and then shave it with an electric razor if it all comes out. I really hate this.

Yeah. It's coming out. It's going to be all over my pillow tonight. How do you handle this, women in particular? I hate not feeling attractive!!!

I'm so sorry this is happening to you.

What about a really nice sexy wig? Or a few of them?

Old 05-01-2012, 09:08 PM

I do have a beautiful wig. And lots of scarves. I wouldn't mind except that I don't want it to come out in clumps in front of my students. But I do have a nice wig already.

...Okay; I'm through freaking out. I can accept this. My hair was thinning, anyway, and coming in gray. Maybe it will be better when it comes back in. It was so soft and beautiful (unusually soft the last week), and now it's going to come out. But my life is worth the temporary loss of my hair. <<keep telling self that>>

Old 05-02-2012, 04:47 AM

19,922 posts, read 11,040,657 times
I have not yet met the chemo patient whose hair has not grown back. Here's before, during and after.

Old 05-02-2012, 05:21 AM

19,922 posts, read 11,040,657 times
Hmmmm ... one thing I just thought of that I rarely see offered as advice. While I was in control of shaving my own head (so that chemo couldn't get my hair), I was not in control of the rest of my body hair. The eyelashes and eyebrows protect the eyes from a variety of potential problems, and I lost them too. I wore protective eyewear while I was outside to protect my eyes from anything that might "fly in". You can pick them up at any Lowes, Home Depot or hardware store.

... and yes, everything grew back!

Old 05-02-2012, 06:01 AM

15,859 posts, read 21,427,956 times
Don't buzz it all right away. I cut mine down to about a half an inch. If I had to do it over again, I've leave it a smidge longer (an inch or an inch and a half). I'm a year out from when I cut my hair, and it's only about 4 or 5 inches long now (and CURLY) - but I never lost it all.

I ended up investing in lots of headbands in different widths. That's all I ever really needed. I also upped my makeup and had more fun doing dramatic things with my eyes. My hair is my best physical asset, so I was pretty freaked out too, but I actually look really good with short hair and I never would have tried it otherwise.

Old 05-02-2012, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
Don't buzz it all right away. I cut mine down to about a half an inch. If I had to do it over again, I've leave it a smidge longer (an inch or an inch and a half). I'm a year out from when I cut my hair, and it's only about 4 or 5 inches long now (and CURLY) - but I never lost it all.

I ended up investing in lots of headbands in different widths. That's all I ever really needed. I also upped my makeup and had more fun doing dramatic things with my eyes. My hair is my best physical asset, so I was pretty freaked out too, but I actually look really good with short hair and I never would have tried it otherwise.
Well, I can accept whatever happens, but maybe it won't all come out. Don't know now, of course. Trimmed it short last night and it looks okay. Doesn't seem to be coming out this morning, and only in the back, upper part of my skull. Freaks me out a little; don't know what my bare head will look like. No one will see it but me, but I have to see it, is the problem. I'm 6'3" and I have a large head.

Whatever happens, happens. Good thing I have this forum or I'd be too isolated for my mental health. Off to doc visit this a.m.

Old 05-02-2012, 08:02 AM

6,727 posts, read 9,946,672 times
I didn't lose my hair, but it did thin a good deal. My dtr-in-law, with her hellish chemo and radiation, lost all of her hair. She was beautiful. Her hair grew back, lovely as ever. My friend, also had chemo and radiation, lost all of her hair. She wore caps and scarves, I'm not sure about a wig. Her hair grew back, lovely as ever.

Loss of hair vs. loss of life- I know which one I'd pick. And I think you'll feel the same way. Hang in there. Rah, rah!

Old 05-02-2012, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
I didn't lose my hair, but it did thin a good deal. My dtr-in-law, with her hellish chemo and radiation, lost all of her hair. She was beautiful. Her hair grew back, lovely as ever. My friend, also had chemo and radiation, lost all of her hair. She wore caps and scarves, I'm not sure about a wig. Her hair grew back, lovely as ever.

Loss of hair vs. loss of life- I know which one I'd pick. And I think you'll feel the same way. Hang in there. Rah, rah!
Yeah, I'm good now; my life is worth a little temporary loss of hair, that's for sure.

Old 05-02-2012, 02:14 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvintar View Post
Yeah, I'm good now; my life is worth a little temporary loss of hair, that's for sure.
look at it this way, it is a temporary thing and you can have fun playing with your wig or getting a couple and see which style looks the best. Everyone I know who has had chemo has lost their hair and in every case it has come back, sometimes even thicker and nicer. We have a friend that got so used to being bald she choose to stay that way...another who choose to grow her hair back but keep it super short...the most important thing right now, is getting through the chemo and hopefully remaining cancer free for many years to come.

Nita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer