Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2012, 06:33 AM

915 posts, read 2,128,855 times

Advertisements

>> I love reading about how you are transcribing the letters! What a wonderful love story your parents must have!

I also have several love letters he stuck on her car windshield when they were in high school. I'm going to append them at the end of the book. Yeah, it was a beautiful love story. Here's some more photos of my dad:

Dad is second from the left

Dad is first row, far left:

Last edited by mvintar; 05-27-2012 at 06:42 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2012, 12:14 PM

Memorial Day poem:

This is a poem my dad, Frank Hobbs, sent my mother, Marie Brooks, in August of 1943. I don't know if he or someone else wrote it:

A Soldiers Creed
There is no music left in me,
But weariness that knows no sleep,
A constant vigil I must keep
Until war’s end.
There was a home, a walk, a lawn,
A girl I loved, games, dreams and books
High hopes and laughter, quiet nooks.
I do not feel
That I could live if they were not
Eternal and forever things
That tyrants, demagogues and kings
Dare never touch
If there are madmen who would try
To take these from us—take these things
Then, let them come.
There is not room beneath the sky,
There is not room in all the world
Where freedoms banners fly unfurled
If they should come

Old 05-27-2012, 12:57 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,814,714 times
Love that poem! Very appropriate on this weekend, too.

Old 05-27-2012, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
Love that poem! Very appropriate on this weekend, too.
Yeah, I cried my eyes out when I found that. He's so sweet! And he kept wanting to go over to the main part of the fighting, but they were saving his butt for later; those B-26's had a LOT of problems and a lot of guys got killed until the fixed the problems. He worked as an instructor of the new recurits for a LONG time.

I'm lucky to be alive because so many of those men were killed in the war. I wouldn't be sittin' here, feeling sorry for myself if he hadn't survivied.

Somehow he knew he would.

I was shocked to read one sentence he wrote about "his book" --- how weird that he might have known or sensed that someone would put all his letters in a book? really odd.

Old 05-27-2012, 05:17 PM

1,787 posts, read 3,849,389 times
I took Thursday and Friday off so I could have a nice LONG weekend! Thursday I helped work calves. My oncologist was none too happy about me getting the snot kicked out of myself the weekend before. So, no more working the alley, instead I did the ear tagging. bleh. Not nearly as macho as pushing calves down the alley. Friday I managed to get the (unbelievably HEAVY) stall mats installed in Blue's shed then puttered around in my garden, tweaking my drip irrigation (an unending task). Saturday we got together with family, and more of the same after Church today. Tonight we are getting together with friends. Tomorrow we will go to the cemetery for the Memorial Service then more family time. Tuesday I get to go to the eye doctor, then sadly, Wednesday I have to go back to work.

Old 05-31-2012, 09:45 AM

Boy, I do not feel good today. That third chemo on Tuesday really kicked me on my little butt. I had to stop a lesson halfway through on Tuesday and sent my student home, Wednesday was okay, but I cancelled lessons today. I'm off until Saturday when I have to teach 5 1/2 hours. Hopefully I'll feel better then.

This is no fun. Started the steriods today, a day late, as I feared I'd throw them up yesterday. Didn't, but eating breakfast i thought, this is probably coming up. Don't feel like working on daddy's book today, that's for sure. Just going to lay around and try not to throw up.

Old 05-31-2012, 02:12 PM

15,859 posts, read 21,434,155 times
Hope you feel better soon, mvintar! I know it sucks now, but you're in the home stretch! One more left, right?

Busy busy busy at work. June 8-10 is Reunion, and I am in charge of registration. That involves taking the registrations of over 800 alumni, family, and friends, tracking them down for payment, answering questions, running reports, etc. I've only ever worked at my alma mater's reunion, but other colleagues who have worked in higher ed say that we have one of the most detailed, customer driven reunions they have experienced. Every class has their own customized program and 3 days of events. And people are DEMANDING. I will be happy when June 11th rolls around and I can take a breath (and enjoy my 2 weeks of ridiculous overtime pay!).

I'm getting linked in with Dana-Farber leadership to do more volunteering. They asked me to speak at a conference for oncology social workers, but I unfortunately cannot participate. Still! That means they think about me to speak more, and I am DYING to speak more (and hopefully do some motivational speaking at some point - if I can monetize my illness and spread awareness, I will be happy!).

Old 05-31-2012, 04:22 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,768,238 times
There is a Relay for Life event in town tonight. My wife and I are planning to attend.

Old 06-01-2012, 07:31 AM

Feeling much, much better today! Haven't developed any aversions to foods, but I've certainly developed an aversion to Thursdays!!

Old 06-03-2012, 06:04 AM

I take issue with my last post, because I got sick after that (not throwing up, just feeling lousy).

Feel "normal" this morning; the bad part of the reaction to the chemo took two more days this time than before. Due, partially, I think, to diet: I wasn't eating. I need to remember to eat a lot of raw fruits/vegetabales, and not a pack of potatoes chips!! Duh...I should have known better. (At least I'm hoping that was the problem).

I hope everyone is feeling well this morning. I really hate to see people fighting. We shouldn't be fighting with each other, but rather, supporting each other.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer