Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2012, 12:42 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,088,888 times

Advertisements

I'm not trying to be hateful, and nothing personal towards Tony, but I'm not going to participate in this thread anymore because I don't want to read friend/caregiver concerns. I just don't want to hear or read from posters who are going through that. It's a very different perspective, and as someone going through cancer right now, it's upsetting to me. Sorry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2012, 04:27 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,768,238 times
Default I understand. I don't blame you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by christina0001 View Post
I'm not trying to be hateful, and nothing personal towards Tony, but I'm not going to participate in this thread anymore because I don't want to read friend/caregiver concerns. I just don't want to hear or read from posters who are going through that. It's a very different perspective, and as someone going through cancer right now, it's upsetting to me. Sorry.
I totally understand that. I was there myself. I was hoping with the chat thread that we could talk about other things besides cancer. I understand the bond we all have going through cancer.

Old 05-26-2012, 04:34 PM

15,859 posts, read 21,434,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD4020 View Post
I totally understand that. I was there myself. I was hoping with the chat thread that we could talk about other things besides cancer. I understand the bond we all have going through cancer.
I'm with you. When I proposed the idea for this thread, I was thinking we could talk about our lives that are touched, but not ruled, by cancer and use this space as a respite from the emotionally scarring and exhausting other threads.

Can we try to keep this space for more lighthearted conversation? I love connecting with you all because while we come from many different backgrounds and are many different ages, we've all walked the same path. That said, I would much rather not have to mentally prepare myself for what will be in this thread every time I come in, the way I do others.

Old 05-26-2012, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
I'm with you. When I proposed the idea for this thread, I was thinking we could talk about our lives that are touched, but not ruled, by cancer and use this space as a respite from the emotionally scarring and exhausting other threads.

Can we try to keep this space for more lighthearted conversation? I love connecting with you all because while we come from many different backgrounds and are many different ages, we've all walked the same path. That said, I would much rather not have to mentally prepare myself for what will be in this thread every time I come in, the way I do others.
I am on board with that idea. It took about a year before I could talk about cancer, talk about treatments, talk about chemo and life post chemo. It is traumatic event. People cope differently, and there is nothing wrong with that.

Old 05-26-2012, 04:49 PM

On that note, what is everyone (Americans) doing for the holiday weekend? Both of my roommates are out of town, which means I can run around the house naked and cooking really stinky (but delicious!) foods. And I have all 3 cats (my 2 roommates and I each have 1 cat - luckily they all get along!) to myself, and they're feeling lonely with the lack of humans in the house so they are hanging out with me.

It's too bad that it's humid and hot outside - and therefore humid and hot inside! This is my first summer in this house and I'm finding that all the heat rises to our 2nd floor apartment. Luckily I have lots of fans. Trying to avoid caving and getting an A/C unit, though my tolerance for anything outside of the 60-80 range is gone post-chemo.

Old 05-26-2012, 04:52 PM

915 posts, read 2,128,855 times
I'm glad you guys explained this to me; I didn't really get how the pinned chat threads were different than all the other posted threads. I guess I did something right by rambling about my dad's book. *Finally* did something right...

I've got Sunday and Monday off. I'm going to wash the wig, which is working out pretty well. Hope its going to look okay. Have the third chemo Tuesday. I'm amazed how not-sick I am most of the time. Every little pain, expecially in my stomach, scares me, however.

My teaching is going well, I've got several new students for the summer program, sold a couple of violins and about half way through the book. Should be available on Amazon in a couple of weeks. I need to find an agent so I can sell it somewhere besides Amazon.

Had my eyes checked yesterday, going to do some dental work after the last chemo, still thinking of moving somewhere there is med. mj. Not depressed today.

Don't go away Christina; we need you (I do).

Old 05-26-2012, 05:09 PM

915 posts, read 2,128,855 times
I'm not doing anything. I seldom do anything for holidays. I guess though, transcribing the letters from my dad to my mom during WWII is a way of memorializing them, but I would do that anyway.

My dad was so deeply in love with my mother. I don't think I've ever known love like that, not like that, not from anybody.

I have a cat, too. Best company in the world. Huge black and white male, gentle and intelligent and very loving. Who says cats aren't affectionate? Mine sure is.

Old 05-26-2012, 05:27 PM

6,727 posts, read 9,949,659 times
My plans for the week-end - well, I went to my 10 y.o. granddaughter's dance recital last night. This was her tap, jazz, and hip-hop show. (Her ballet was last Sat. night, while her 6 y.o. sister's jazz, tap and ballet was last Fri. night). Now I'm finished for this year. The kids are great dancers and their studio is very professional, so the show(s) is always great.

Other than that, I am fighting a raging allergy attack. Headache, sinuses leaking, chest congested, OMG! I feel like I'm drowning. There are two locust trees on my neighbor's tree lawn and they drip the most unimaginable pollen. It gets worse every year. Light bulb! This severe reaction only started happening after I had chemo! Is that possible? Charol, you mentioned feeling the heat post-chemo. It's the same way here. Heat never bothered me until it got to about 95F. but the past couple of Summers, it only has to hit 80F. and I'm roasting. I don't bother with putting in the window A/C. I can go to the store, stop at BeeKay for a frappe or go to my youngest son's house. They have central air and it's always cool there.

Tomorrow I'll go to a cook out if the allergy doesn't strangle me.

Monday, maybe the parade in the morning and then I'm staying home and reading The Sand Pebbles.

Old 05-26-2012, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvintar View Post
I'm not doing anything. I seldom do anything for holidays. I guess though, transcribing the letters from my dad to my mom during WWII is a way of memorializing them, but I would do that anyway.

My dad was so deeply in love with my mother. I don't think I've ever known love like that, not like that, not from anybody.

I have a cat, too. Best company in the world. Huge black and white male, gentle and intelligent and very loving. Who says cats aren't affectionate? Mine sure is.
I love reading about how you are transcribing the letters! What a wonderful love story your parents must have!

While not at all the same thing, I remember finding my mom's high school yearbook several years ago and finding all kinds of love notes from my dad (including one that had my mom at 14, circa 1973, talking about classmates who were pro-Vietnam and saying that she hoped their kids wouldn't be "weird" like that). My parents began dating when my mom was 13, my dad was 15 and then got engaged when my mom was 16 and married when my mom was 22. It's interesting looking through things from when they were in high school and college because there was not really a point in their lives post-childhood where the other was not there. I sometimes wonder if never having to leave each other's company and safety net made them inept as parents, but it's nice for the moments that I let myself think about the way they were.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
My plans for the week-end - well, I went to my 10 y.o. granddaughter's dance recital last night. This was her tap, jazz, and hip-hop show. (Her ballet was last Sat. night, while her 6 y.o. sister's jazz, tap and ballet was last Fri. night). Now I'm finished for this year. The kids are great dancers and their studio is very professional, so the show(s) is always great.

Other than that, I am fighting a raging allergy attack. Headache, sinuses leaking, chest congested, OMG! I feel like I'm drowning. There are two locust trees on my neighbor's tree lawn and they drip the most unimaginable pollen. It gets worse every year. Light bulb! This severe reaction only started happening after I had chemo! Is that possible? Charol, you mentioned feeling the heat post-chemo. It's the same way here. Heat never bothered me until it got to about 95F. but the past couple of Summers, it only has to hit 80F. and I'm roasting. I don't bother with putting in the window A/C. I can go to the store, stop at BeeKay for a frappe or go to my youngest son's house. They have central air and it's always cool there.

Tomorrow I'll go to a cook out if the allergy doesn't strangle me.

Monday, maybe the parade in the morning and then I'm staying home and reading The Sand Pebbles.
Sounds like you have a fun weekend planned, minus the allergies! This year is one of the worst for allergies for people all over the country. Mine are acting up something awful. My allergies are also worse post-chemo - I recently had a HORRIFIC reaction to mango. I've always known I was allergic to the skin, so I was very careful while cutting it up. Apparently my allergy has gotten more serious.

Another thing of note (especially with warm weather!) is how sensitive my skin now is to the sun. I celebrated my brother's college graduation last weekend (and also celebrated the fact that he's employed in a FANTASTIC job with very high pay in a very low COL area - maybe he can help out his big sister!) and was only outside in the sun for maybe an hour and a half tops, split up over the entire day, and I still burned through reapplications of 45 sunscreen. I have dark hair and eyes, and while I am often out in the sun, I've gotten maybe 3 burns in my entire life due to my tanned complexion. Not anymore, apparently. I don't care about not having a tan but the earlier you have lymphoma before you turn 40 (in my case, I probably got it when I was 18 and ended treatment when I was 23), the higher your risk for melanoma later on. Now I am PARANOID.

Old 05-26-2012, 11:08 PM

We went out of town and met some friends part way. Returning tomorrow. Then we will go work in the garden on Monday. Getting a fence around it, and doing the weeding.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer